I was disappointed to yet again hear another manager who I previously respected, blame their defeat in his post match interview on things such as 'but that's the kind of side they are" / "thought the ref could've protected us a bit more" / "they're a big, physical side" etc etc

My theory is that the majority of the time, this gives said managers some leeway for a bad result, as their Bosses (club owners) are rarely footballers / football men themselves (can only think of Dave Whelan at Wigan and Niall Quinn at Sunderland?). As such, it's the ONLY reason that might possibly be understood by their bosses come that awkward next morning meeting.

i.e. it wasn't our fault, they fouled us out of 3 points, weak ref etc

The more managers that say it, the more it becomes 'true' and the more Chairmen allow their managers some space over a defeat to us!

Might be far fetched, but it might not be far away from the truth seeing as it's used so often as an excuse.

Do you ever hear it in egg chasing, American Football or ice hockey for example? They are all physical contact sports after all.