+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A View from The Fulham perspective

A View from The Fulham perspective

We really are crap arent we? How are we second when all we ever do is bully people? Its a shameful reflection on the Championship

Quote (and link given at bottom)

I watched the cardiff game last night.

I hope this isn't jealousy on my part, I dont think so. I have grown really fond of the championship. I've seen cardiff four times and have been so underwhelmed every time.

I'm amazed and disappointed they represent the 2nd best team in the league.

I'm involved in grass roots football and from the age of about 9 years old upwards, there are always teams that just go for big quick players and use intimidation as their key feature. By about 16, these teams stop being top of the league because other teams players grow but also have the technique at that point.
    Cardiff are like the professional version of the teams.

And...these teams always have 2 or 3 coaches on the sidelines, whose sole role on matchday is to try and get in the refs head to both stop him reacting to their fouls and to give free kicks on fouls against them.

I was listening to their coaches last night on the side. You could hear them if you really listened for it. Jesus, it was exactly the same thing I have heard for years on the sidelines from these type of teams. I was in shock. Constant barrage. Clearly a tactic.

I thought Brentford were so poor. Their midfield got bullied and were anonymous and they didn't have anything up front and the defence was so weak. They reminded me of us in our first season down.

I just can't believe Derby, Wolves, Villa, Sheff U, Norwich, Forest & Hull will be so soft against them

Link http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum...?topic=64266.0

Re: A View from The Fulham perspective

Has there ever been a more unpopular promotion chasing team as us, I really do not get it. We are the second best team in the championship, the league table doesnt lie. All this bullying nonsense managers keep spouting is just stupid. We are a strong physical team no doubt, but there is a lot more to our game than just physicality

I don’t think we are the prettiest team in the league but we are no where near as rough or dirty as we are being made out to be. Teams see Warnock is the manager and make a judgement before a ball has even been kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    We really are crap arent we? How are we second when all we ever do is bully people? Its a shameful reflection on the Championship

I hope this isn't jealousy on my part, I dont think so. I have grown really fond of the championship. I've seen cardiff four times and have been so underwhelmed every time.

I'm involved in grass roots football and from the age of about 9 years old upwards, there are always teams that just go for big quick players and use intimidation as their key feature. By about 16, these teams stop being top of the league because other teams players grow but also have the technique at that point.

And...these teams always have 2 or 3 coaches on the sidelines, whose sole role on matchday is to try and get in the refs head to both stop him reacting to their fouls and to give free kicks on fouls against them.

I was listening to their coaches last night on the side. You could hear them if you really listened for it. Jesus, it was exactly the same thing I have heard for years on the sidelines from these type of teams. I was in shock. Constant barrage. Clearly a tactic.

I thought Brentford were so poor. Their midfield got bullied and were anonymous and they didn't have anything up front and the defence was so weak. They reminded me of us in our first season down.

I just can't believe Derby, Wolves, Villa, Sheff U, Norwich, Forest & Hull will be so soft against them

There are many who agree with him on this MB and as has been debated before... no points for artistic impression.

I don't really mind that view point, if we were in Fulham's position i would imagine we would be spouting the same sort of things.

The football we play isn't glorious, it isn't what is in style these days. However we have been the best team at grinding out results, after watching the Brum game i had no confidence in getting a result at Brentford, yet the team seems to get the job done time and time again.

Looks like another bunch of supporters who think that playing pretty but pointless possession football gives you a right to be successful. Has jursset turned into a Fulham fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Looks like another bunch of supporters who think that playing pretty but pointless possession football gives you a right to be successful. Has jursset turned into a Fulham fan?
    The difference being that Fulham actually do play some fancy stuff, whereas Bristol are the biggest long ball merchants in the division.

Direct and physical football doesn't have to be boring to watch, any more than skilled, technical football has to be exciting.
    Some of the great man u sides were very direct, and they were great to watch, and sometimes possession hogs can be tedious.
    You can get teams of both styles that set up not to concede, and try to nick an odd goal through an individual error, which can be really dull, but I don't think that applies to us or fulham. We both look to attack and try to win games rather than settle for a draw- just we have different ways of doing it.

Feedback

if teams, managers and fans want to believe we are a physical side then let them think it. It means they don't give any consideration to the fact that when we cross that half way line, we can play a bit and get behind defences, with goals from all angles.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The difference being that Fulham actually do play some fancy stuff, whereas Bristol are the biggest long ball merchants in the division.

Direct and physical football doesn't have to be boring to watch, any more than skilled, technical football has to be exciting.
    Some of the great man u sides were very direct, and they were great to watch, and sometimes possession hogs can be tedious.
    You can get teams of both styles that set up not to concede, and try to nick an odd goal through an individual error, which can be really dull, but I don't think that applies to us or fulham. We both look to attack and try to win games rather than settle for a draw- just we have different ways of doing it.
    ^^^^ this, with andy kanchelskis on one wing and giggs on the other, the mantra at united was get it out of defence quickly and get forward. when united did it, it was great counter attacking football, when we do it, it is long ball

So, who has it right and who has it wrong?

The only "stats" that count are the goals for and against stats at the end of 90 minutes.

He makes it sound like we should give up and let Fulham overtake us, in deference to the majestic football they play. He also totally forgets that we have already beaten Wolves, Forest, Sheffield United, Villa, Hull, Bristol City, Norwich this season. Load of sour grapes.

Brentford are the Championship's undisputed shot kings (650+)

Last night ..

Shots - Brentford 24 Cardiff 14

Shots on Target
    - Brentford 6 Cardiff 9

That tells you all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brentford are the Championship's undisputed shot kings (650+)

Last night ..

Shots - Home 24 Away 14

Shots on Target - Home 6 Away 9
    Which is why you don't just look at shots , and you look at xg or even more complicated measures instead.

Which is why you don't just look at shots , and you look at xg or even more complicated measures instead.
    What was the xg for last night?

We are far more efficient at converting chances, and goals win games

Yep, agreed.

KDB plays a 60 yard pass forward to Sane it's not direct it's a beautiful pass..

Liverpool play a 40 yard pass to the opposite wing and it's brilliant exciting..

I'm not arsed we don't dilly dally in our own half, we get forward quick so What? We can play decent stuff in the final third.. y'know.. where it actually counts..

Brentford looked toothless once we knew what to expect.

The fact they had so many shots and can't score speaks volumes.. look at the shots on target in relation to shots for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What was the xg for last night?
    The ones I've seen had the game pretty even, although for individual games I think they exaggerate the xg of teams like Brentford as at this level there isn't the data available to model where the defenders were when the shot was taken. Shooting through an organised defence is obviously going to be harder than if you've broken through the defence, Brentford never really got behind us so should perhaps be scored Les than they seemed.
    Encouraging for us is our xg was back up to where it has been for most of the season after a dip in the previous 2 games

Recently I've been watching a fair amount of 90s Premiership football for pure nostalgia, and I'd forgotten how much more physical, direct and fast-paced it was. All of this modern pretty possession football is very much in fashion, but I don't know when physical and direct styles of play were outlawed.

Plus it can be tedious to watch at times. From what little I've seen of our play this season, I'd take the direct physical approach anyday, especially if it means we're second in the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    Recently I've been watching a fair amount of 90s Premiership football for pure nostalgia, and I'd forgotten how much more physical, direct and fast-paced it was. All of this modern pretty possession football is very much in fashion, but I don't know when physical and direct styles of play were outlawed.

Plus it can be tedious to watch at times. From what little I've seen of our play this season, I'd take the direct physical approach anyday, especially if it means we're second in the table.
    We were pretty direct under Dave Jones, yet we often won plaudits for our style of play.

We were pretty direct under Dave Jones, yet we often won plaudits for our style of play.
    At our best under DJ we could be direct but also play the ball about if we were up against a massed defence.
    Our current side is better at the direct stuff but probably not as good at breaking down someone who is trying to park the bus.
    We are also more robust though.

At our best under DJ we could be direct but also play the ball about if we were up against a massed defence.
    Our current side is better at the direct stuff but probably not as good at breaking down someone who is trying to park the bus.
    We are also more robust though.
    Yes, we are far stronger physically and mentally as a team.

Yes, we are far stronger physically and mentally as a team.
    Some of those DJ teams were a real pleasure to watch though

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post

Only one word to sum it up. JEALOUSY.

Some of those DJ teams were a real pleasure to watch though
    Yes. When we played well, we played like a Premier League team in waiting. It's a shame that for the moments of pleasure, there were enough moments that made you want to bang your head against a wall that ultimately cost us. I still believe that, had he got us promoted, we'd have survived, but failure to get promotion was rightly his undoing.