+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A View from The Fulham perspective

Re: A View from The Fulham perspective

Brentford fans we’re shouting ‘hoof’ as we cleared it upfield, but our 2nd goal came from Hoilett pouncing on them fannying about on the edge of their area. That’s not trying to play the right way it’s naive and poor and one of the reasons they lost the game to a better organised, more effective team.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Dembe Cmon mate you're better than that. You can't honestly compare De Bruyne hitting a pass to Sane which has all sorts of whip and spin on it so Sane doesn't have to break his stride to Manga or Bamba smashing the ****ing leather off the ball so we can get up the other end of the pitch.

That's like saying Glenn Hoddle and Martin Keown were similar players!
    I bet Keown won more league titles though 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Brentford fans we’re shouting ‘hoof’ as we cleared it upfield, but our 2nd goal came from Hoilett pouncing on them fannying about on the edge of their area. That’s not trying to play the right way it’s naive and poor and one of the reasons they lost the game to a better organised, more effective team.
    Last minute of injury time one of their defenders was on the half way line and couldn't see anything on so we were shouting 'go on , pass it back to the keeper'..

He did and the ref blew for full time seconds after the keeper cleared it 😂

A very good football thread - and a good read

I think there is a little similarity between Mourihno’s Utd this season and our performances in the Championship albeit with less quality players. Utd are 2nd with everyone bemoaning their style of football. Good thing for us is we as a set of fans have far less expectation than Utd fans. Halford is even our equivalent of their Fellaini😄.

I know I’m far more enjoying the current Cardiff performances than those slow pass the ball along the back 5 before losing it that we played under Trollope.

We have a very good set of players that fit the style we play. I’m sure we would all be furious if our keeper rolled the ball out to the full back who gave up possession leading to a goal right on memhalf time like Brentford did last night - there was nothing pretty about that!

We have some outstanding athletic footballers too - Zohore, Hoilett , Paterson, Bamba, Morrison Bennett ( and Ralls before his injury) are all consistently performing game after game in an unrelenting physical league

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I bet Keown won more league titles though 🙂
    That's cos all English managers had your football philosophy!
    (Just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    A very good football thread - and a good read

I think there is a little similarity between Mourihno’s Utd this season and our performances in the Championship albeit with less quality players. Utd are 2nd with everyone bemoaning their style of football. Good thing for us is we as a set of fans have far less expectation than Utd fans. Halford is even our equivalent of their Fellaini😄.

I know I’m far more enjoying the current Cardiff performances than those slow pass the ball along the back 5 before losing it that we played under Trollope.

We have a very good set of players that fit the style we play. I’m sure we would all be furious if our keeper rolled the ball out to the full back who gave up possession leading to a goal right on memhalf time like Brentford did last night - there was nothing pretty about that!

We have some outstanding athletic footballers too - Zohore, Hoilett , Paterson, Bamba, Morrison Bennett ( and Ralls before his injury) are all consistently performing game after game in an unrelenting physical league
    I don't see us as being like the current utd that much really.
    We don't try to do anything that fancy or intricate, but re are relentlessly attacking.
    We only have 30-40% posession in games but every % of those is going for the jugular.

Man utd finish most games with the lions share of posession, but their safety first approach is dull as ditchwater.
    They don't commit numbers forward, or have a super aggressive press that can make an exciting game but also give the opposition opportunities.
    They tend to shut down the opportunities for both sides and score one of the few chances that arises.
    We play a simple, physical, agricultural at times game, but it is attacking. What man u have produced this season is not.

A better comparison would be one of the stoke teams under pulis, or at a push leicester the year they won it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I bet Keown won more league titles though ��
    Not as much of a **** either

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That's cos all English managers had your football philosophy!
    (Just kidding)
    No worries 👍

The more I think about it, the more I realise that the Leicester analogy is not far off. Big strong centre half's, getting the ball forward as quickly as possible to speedy direct forwards. Throw in a work ethic and good team spirit.
    Didn't do them much harm did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't see us as being like the current utd that much really.
    We don't try to do anything that fancy or intricate, but re are relentlessly attacking.
    We only have 30-40% posession in games but every % of those is going for the jugular.

Man utd finish most games with the lions share of posession, but their safety first approach is dull as ditchwater.
    They don't commit numbers forward, or have a super aggressive press that can make an exciting game but also give the opposition opportunities.
    They tend to shut down the opportunities for both sides and score one of the few chances that arises.
    We play a simple, physical, agricultural at times game, but it is attacking. What man u have produced this season is not.

A better comparison would be one of the stoke teams under pulis, or at a push leicester the year they won it.
    It's not a criticism of Warnock when I say that we're not always an attacking team. Games like Bristol City home were borderline scandalous but this manager knows what it takes to win and he's confident enough in his own ability as a manager to set a team up in the way he did against Bristol knowing that if it did go tits up he would have to take some flak

Leicester playoffs we actually showed we had a bit of backbone. Reading playoffs, they were a counter attacking side, if we had scored first we'd have battered them, we had an injury crisis at the back and the reserve reserve keeper had a howler which gave them the opening goal.

Least said about the 08/09 ending the better. Probably an end of season injury crisis played it's part as we didn't seem to have that much depth in those days
    What about Wolves' collapse in 2002/3 when they went from virtually untouchable to terrible?

What about our collapse in 2006/7? 2005/6?

This is boring old ground, but if you're suggesting everything was down to circumstances and the common denominator (the manager at the time) had no bearing on this, I think you're very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They was another stat on completed passes in the opp box or half was it? We had more than them on that which just shows they had more in there own half going nowhere, and then random shots from anywhere.
    Yeah but we hoooooof it

Leicester playoffs we actually showed we had a bit of backbone. Reading playoffs, they were a counter attacking side, if we had scored first we'd have battered them, we had an injury crisis at the back and the reserve reserve keeper had a howler which gave them the opening goal.

Least said about the 08/09 ending the better. Probably an end of season injury crisis played it's part as we didn't seem to have that much depth in those days
    I don’t think we did show backbone against Leicester, great game for the neutral yes.
    We were 2-0 up on aggregate with 65 minutes to play at home in the 2nd leg.
    Just after half time we found ourselves 3-2 down and as defensively frail as I can remember (continued into the final against Blackpool)
    Fortunately for us it took a penalty to get us back into the game which should’ve been flagged for offside and then it was down to the lottery that is a penalty shoot out. We got lucky that night.