+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A View from The Fulham perspective

Re: A View from The Fulham perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. When we played well, we played like a Premier League team in waiting. It's a shame that for the moments of pleasure, there were enough moments that made you want to bang your head against a wall that ultimately cost us. I still believe that, had he got us promoted, we'd have survived, but failure to get promotion was rightly his undoing.
    The real tragedy of it was by the end a significant proportion of the fans were unable to enjoy the great football for what it was, anything other than promotion was abject failure, and fear of failure meant they didn't enjoy the football.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brentford are the Championship's undisputed shot kings (650+)

Last night ..

Shots - Brentford 24 Cardiff 14

Shots on Target
    - Brentford 6 Cardiff 9

That tells you all you need to know.
    To be fair to Brentford, they are also top of the league for shots on target.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

As for the Fulham fan, it's just the normal pre conditioned Warnock stuff (something I have been guilty of in the past), but the discipline stats still convey two different viewpoints - yes, we commit more fouls per game than anyone else bar Bolton,

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2017-2018

but in terms of yellow and red cards, we remain among the best disciplined sides in the Championship

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...wettbewerb/GB2

I think the current team would beat a Dave Jones team, say, seven times out of ten, because they are so much stronger mentally, but every now and again, the individual talent in the Jones team would have a day when everything would go right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The real tragedy of it was by the end a significant proportion of the fans were unable to enjoy the great football for what it was, anything other than promotion was abject failure, and fear of failure meant they didn't enjoy the football.
    If it was consistently great football, then fair enough. There was plenty of dross as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the current team would beat a Dave Jones team, say, seven times out of ten, because they are so much stronger mentally, but every now and again, the individual talent in the Jones team would have a day when everything would go right for them.
    Head to head you're probably right, over the course of a season I'd guess they would be fairly evenly matched.
    A DJ side would be exactly the type of team that we would steamroller past with the current side, but they would probably be better equipped to deal with a really pragmatic side like PNE or Derby than we currently are

Defensively we are excellent. Pundits recognise this. Joe Soap stuck in his armchair with a bottle of beer will never see it.
    Under 9's? Feck off.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    ^^^^ this, with andy kanchelskis on one wing and giggs on the other, the mantra at united was get it out of defence quickly and get forward. when united did it, it was great counter attacking football, when we do it, it is long ball
    Roy Keane had a go at Ferdinand on his debut
    This is Manchester Utd you play forward, not back or someone 10 metres to the side of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Defensively we are excellent. Pundits recognise this. Joe Soap stuck in his armchair with a bottle of beer will never see it.
    Under 9's? Feck off.
    "They play their football in the final third, and play some lovely stuff" is something along the lines of what I heard off the bloke at sky last night..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If it was consistently great football, then fair enough. There was plenty of dross as well.
    Absolutely and hardly any backbone when the going really got tough, end of 08-09 season, Playoffs against Reading and we nearly cocked up against Leicester at home in the Playoffs.

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "They play their football in the final third, and play some lovely stuff" is something along the lines of what I heard off the bloke at sky last night..
    He drinks in my local in Llandaff! He daren't say anything else he'd be barred!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    He drinks in my local in Llandaff! He daren't say anything else he'd be barred!!
    Bullies on and off the pitch are we

International

Bullies on and off the pitch are we
    Bullies? Us? Never let it be said!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Absolutely and hardly any backbone when the going really got tough, end of 08-09 season, Playoffs against Reading and we nearly cocked up against Leicester at home in the Playoffs.
    Leicester playoffs we actually showed we had a bit of backbone. Reading playoffs, they were a counter attacking side, if we had scored first we'd have battered them, we had an injury crisis at the back and the reserve reserve keeper had a howler which gave them the opening goal.

Least said about the 08/09 ending the better. Probably an end of season injury crisis played it's part as we didn't seem to have that much depth in those days

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Bullies? Us? Never let it be said!!!!!

Call our style of play what they want,but I believe we play a “streetwise” brand of football.I can remember Pulis bringing his Palace side to Cardiff in the latter part of our premier league season.We desperately needed a win,and most of us thought we could get something from that game,as Palace were in the relegation mix.We got thumped 3-0,and Pulis truly had Solskjaers pants down that day.I remember thinking at the time we possibly had better players than them,but they did a job on us in every department.They stayed up,we went down.The contrast when Pulis came with Boro,and the tables were turn was clear.We were far too streetwise for them,and I for one am happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    We really are crap arent we? How are we second when all we ever do is bully people? Its a shameful reflection on the Championship

Quote (and link given at bottom)

I watched the cardiff game last night.

I hope this isn't jealousy on my part, I dont think so. I have grown really fond of the championship. I've seen cardiff four times and have been so underwhelmed every time.

I'm amazed and disappointed they represent the 2nd best team in the league.

I'm involved in grass roots football and from the age of about 9 years old upwards, there are always teams that just go for big quick players and use intimidation as their key feature. By about 16, these teams stop being top of the league because other teams players grow but also have the technique at that point.
    Cardiff are like the professional version of the teams.

And...these teams always have 2 or 3 coaches on the sidelines, whose sole role on matchday is to try and get in the refs head to both stop him reacting to their fouls and to give free kicks on fouls against them.

I was listening to their coaches last night on the side. You could hear them if you really listened for it. Jesus, it was exactly the same thing I have heard for years on the sidelines from these type of teams. I was in shock. Constant barrage. Clearly a tactic.

I thought Brentford were so poor. Their midfield got bullied and were anonymous and they didn't have anything up front and the defence was so weak. They reminded me of us in our first season down.

I just can't believe Derby, Wolves, Villa, Sheff U, Norwich, Forest & Hull will be so soft against them

Link http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum...?topic=64266.0
    😂 Of course- those 7 sides have all done SO well against us when we played them earlier this season...

Oh wait, we beat 6 and drew with one eh ?

Well I never 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Roy Keane had a go at Ferdinand on his debut
    This is Manchester Utd you play forward, not back or someone 10 metres to the side of you.
    I don't want to disrespect my own team but you can't compare how United played with Keane, Scholes, Giggs etc under Ferguson with how we play.

If anything we are closer to United now. Their two goals on Saturday came as a result of pure goods up the park.

Luckily for them they had Rashford to put some magic on the end of it. We have Hoilett, Zohore and Mendez-Laing who do the same for us.

KDB plays a 60 yard pass forward to Sane it's not direct it's a beautiful pass..

Liverpool play a 40 yard pass to the opposite wing and it's brilliant exciting..

I'm not arsed we don't dilly dally in our own half, we get forward quick so What? We can play decent stuff in the final third.. y'know.. where it actually counts..

Brentford looked toothless once we knew what to expect.

The fact they had so many shots and can't score speaks volumes.. look at the shots on target in relation to shots for both teams.
    A lot of their shots were pants.
    At least 1 maybe more went into touch and others were endangering the top tier of the stand

KDB plays a 60 yard pass forward to Sane it's not direct it's a beautiful pass..

Liverpool play a 40 yard pass to the opposite wing and it's brilliant exciting..

I'm not arsed we don't dilly dally in our own half, we get forward quick so What? We can play decent stuff in the final third.. y'know.. where it actually counts..

Brentford looked toothless once we knew what to expect.

The fact they had so many shots and can't score speaks volumes.. look at the shots on target in relation to shots for both teams.
    Dembe Cmon mate you're better than that. You can't honestly compare De Bruyne hitting a pass to Sane which has all sorts of whip and spin on it so Sane doesn't have to break his stride to Manga or Bamba smashing the ****ing leather off the ball so we can get up the other end of the pitch.

That's like saying Glenn Hoddle and Martin Keown were similar players!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Dembe Cmon mate you're better than that. You can't honestly compare De Bruyne hitting a pass to Sane which has all sorts of whip and spin on it so Sane doesn't have to break his stride to Manga or Bamba smashing the ****ing leather off the ball so we can get up the other end of the pitch.

That's like saying Glenn Hoddle and Martin Keown were similar players!
    There he is

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    At least 1 maybe more went into touch and others were endangering the top tier of the stand
    I think we looked more dangerous around the goal..

Yeah they passed it etc and made it look good but I wasn't thinking "Oh shit they may get a second here" every time they attacked us

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brentford are the Championship's undisputed shot kings (650+)

Last night ..

Shots - Brentford 24 Cardiff 14

Shots on Target
    - Brentford 6 Cardiff 9

That tells you all you need to know.
    You omitted Brentford 1 - Cardiff 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

We were far more threatening and were the better side. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You omitted Brentford 1 - Cardiff 3
    They was another stat on completed passes in the opp box or half was it? We had more than them on that which just shows they had more in there own half going nowhere, and then random shots from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They was another stat on completed passes in the opp box or half was it? We had more than them on that which just shows they had more in there own half going nowhere, and then random shots from anywhere.
    They were pretty decent at times , it is not the answer to championship football though