+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson

Warnock wants Gunnar to play an hour in Iceland's first international - but not the second - to get him up to speed for Burton. Makes sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43401734

Cardiff are ready to welcome Aron Gunnarsson back for the Championship promotion run-in after manager Neil Warnock revealing he has recommended the midfielder plays for Iceland during next week's international break.

Gunnarsson was the Bluebirds player of the year last season, but has made just 12 appearances this term with an ankle injury ruling him out of action since November.

But Warnock has given the green light for national captain Gunnarsson to play for his homeland against Mexico in San Francisco as Iceland warm-up for this summer's World Cup.

Gunnarsson has not figured for Cardiff since the 1-0 win at Barnsley in November following ankle surgery, but is now tipped to return for their fixture with Burton at the end of the month.

Warnock said: "Gunnars is training hard. I'm going to go and have a look at him to see what he's like because hopefully he's going to go away in the international week and play a game for Iceland, or play an hour."

Iceland play Mexico on March 23 before facing Peru in New Jersey four days later with Cardiff's Championship fixtures resuming when they play Burton at Cardiff City Stadium on Friday March 30.

"He'll miss the second game and be available for Burton," Warnock added. "I've spoken to Iceland and I recommended it. The under-23s are no good for him, the pitch is not up to standard, so I've said if he can get himself fit for the international break he can go away with them, have an hour in the first game and then second game he'll give it a miss and come back and prepare for Burton."

Re: Gunnarsson

Hopefully Iceland/Gunnar won’t defy Warnock’s orders.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Hopefully Iceland/Gunnar won’t defy Warnock’s orders.
    If they/he does, I hope its further damage. Costing a place in the WC.
    I'm sick of FA's and players getting and giving priority over their clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    If they/he does, I hope its further damage. Costing a place in the WC.
    I'm sick of FA's and players getting and giving priority over their clubs.
    Absolutely not. He will be pivotal in our run in and bolster an already weak area injury wise.

Great news for him and us.

Have a sneaky feeling this is a bit of PR spin and was he was always targeting this friendly , might be wrong,who knows,its still a good plan ,let hope we tape the games .

About bloody time. Could be a huge boost for us!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    About bloody time. Could be a huge boost for us!
    Depends which Gunner returns....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Depends which Gunner returns....

I don't think Warnock will allow the Gunnar who thinks he's Paul Scholes anywhere near the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think Warnock will allow the Gunnar who thinks he's Paul Scholes anywhere near the first team.
    Spot on, who would you drop after 7 wins?

The team deserves loyalty too

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Spot on, who would you drop after 7 wins?

The team deserves loyalty too
    Given the number of changes he's made over these 7 games, I doubt that would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Given the number of changes he's made over these 7 games, I doubt that would be an issue.
    He's just fishing

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    He's just fishing
    Nice of him to post while out with his rod at this time of night.

I don't get the negativity about Gunnar. He was fantastic in the first 12 games. Having him back for the run-in would be a huge boost, especially as we're looking thin in midfield right now.

He's been fantastic ever since Warnock took over. He'd walk into my starting line up with everyone fit. If players start returning we have plenty of options. I think we are a lot stronger than Malkys promotion team.

I will be seriously pissed off if he does play more than that now