+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Hughes re-appears at Southampton...

Mark Hughes re-appears at Southampton...

...appointed until the end of the season:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43403577

Re: Mark Hughes re-appears at Southampton...

According to Talk Sport this morning he will receive £2m for keeping them up.

It's a damn sight better gamble than anything at Cheltenham this week, even uncle Bob's naps!

The only thing Hughes has to lose is his reputation, which frankly is average at best.

"premier league experience" is the phrase that holds the English game back more than anything else.
    Proven mediocre at best managers continually getting top jobs no matter how often they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    "premier league experience" is the phrase that holds the English game back more than anything else.
    Proven mediocre at best managers continually getting top jobs no matter how often they fail.
    They always moan about foreign managers blocking the path for young British managers but the old boys club who keep getting the jobs despite being proven failures is the real issue.

Pardew, Hughes, Allardyce, Moyes etc keep getting sacked but then get another premier league job immediately

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It's a damn sight better gamble than anything at Cheltenham this week, even uncle Bob's naps!

The only thing Hughes has to lose is his reputation, which frankly is average at best.
    I'm not sure its that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I'm not sure its that good.
    It’s not too bad actually.
    Done well at Blackburn, Fulham and for 3 seasons at Stoke. Out of his depth at Man City and helped QPR survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They always moan about foreign managers blocking the path for young British managers but the old boys club who keep getting the jobs despite being proven failures is the real issue.

Pardew, Hughes, Allardyce, Moyes etc keep getting sacked but then get another premier league job immediately
    How is Mark Hughes a proven failure? He has regularly had top 10 finishes with unfashionable clubs. He finished 9th with Stoke 3 years on the trot, before a poor season this season, so 3 good seasons out of 4 and hes classed as a failure?

And given the clubs Allardyce has kept up in this division I wouldnt call him a failure either. What he did Sunderland and Palace in recent times was nothing short of miraculous.

Russ would have done it for £200.

How many professions other than bankers and football managers can you fail at and still keep getting the same job?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    How many professions other than bankers and football managers can you fail at and still keep getting the same job?
    MPs?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How is Mark Hughes a proven failure? He has regularly had top 10 finishes with unfashionable clubs. He finished 9th with Stoke 3 years on the trot, before a poor season this season, so 3 good seasons out of 4 and hes classed as a failure?

And given the clubs Allardyce has kept up in this division I wouldnt call him a failure either. What he did Sunderland and Palace in recent times was nothing short of miraculous.
    Failure is a bit harsh with Hughes. But the 2 chances alardyce has got with a transfer budget at bigger clubs he’s ****ed up because he only has one style. He’s a decent fire fighters but I wouldn’t let him build a team looking to do something. Also has a habit of making the whole fan base hate him.

Failure is a bit harsh with Hughes. But the 2 chances alardyce has got with a transfer budget at bigger clubs he’s ****ed up because he only has one style. He’s a decent fire fighters but I wouldn’t let him build a team looking to do something. Also has a habit of making the whole fan base hate him.
    What two clubs are you reffering to?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Sod off! Lol

MPs?
    High court judges?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    According to Talk Sport this morning he will receive £2m for keeping them up.
    That's saved Southampton £2million, then.

What two clubs are you reffering to?
    Newcastle and Everton

Newcastle and Everton
    Everton

They were a shambles when he come in. Koeman had signed a totally unbalanced squad and hes steadied the ship.

I dont know how you can critisicise his spending at Everton when he hasnt even had a summer window yet!!

His two signings in January - Walcott and Toscun - have both been decent signings so far.

It’s more the fact he has a decently squad and he’s still playing negative football even after his signings. The number of shots per game they’ve had on target since he’s been in charge is pathetic.

He’s too stuck in his ways, decent manager if you’re about to be relegated but beyond that he’s too negative and always ends up dividing the fans.

Were they really that much of a shambles under Koeman? He had to go after wasting a lot of money but they appointed allardyce because they thought they were in relegation trouble when a win or two would have had them mid table.

It’s more the fact he has a decently squad and he’s still playing negative football even after his signings. The number of shots per game they’ve had on target since he’s been in charge is pathetic. He’s too stuck in his ways, decent manager if you’re about to be relegated but beyond that he’s too negative and always ends up dividing the fans.
    It's accepted by football cognescie that the FIRST THING a new manager does when he starts is to work on the leaking defence. It's logical and obvious - except to Everton fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It's accepted by football cognescie that the FIRST THING a new manager does when he starts is to work on the leaking defence. It's logical and obvious - except to Everton fans.
    Less than a month ago he conceded 5 against the worst arsenal team in over a decade. And they’ve lost to Burnley and Watford in the last fortnight.

It’s all well and good working on a leaky defence but he has to eventually get beyond that. Has that happened since his Bolton days?

I bet that won't go down well with the fans on the posh side of the south coast ,they will view that as a Pompey brit old fashioned type appointment , they saw themselves with a sexy continental manager, playing continental tic tac footy , until Liverpool kicked all there players .

its not the manager who should go, it the owners for selling all the treasure

I think he's a decent manager. Averages about 50pts a season in the PL which is about 10th place. But it's an odd choice from Southampton - not the type of manager they have gone with in recent years. I guess they want a Sgt. Major type to did them out of the relegation strife. I think he'll keep them up but beyond this season it seems an unlikely pairing.