+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting stat # 1

Interesting stat # 1

Being a sad old statto at this stage of a season, I had a look at previous Championship 1st and 2nd place totals since 2004 and worked out the following:

Average points total for 1st place: 92

Average points total for 2nd place: 87

Make of that what you will...

Re: Interesting stat # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Being a sad old statto at this stage of a season, I had a look at previous Championship 1st and 2nd place totals since 2004 and worked out the following:

Average points total for 1st place: 92

Average points total for 2nd place: 87

Make of that what you will...
    Now who was it said " There are 3 kinds of Lies. Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics! As much as I would love to believe that we only need 11 points to go up, I think that we need at least 91 this year, 5 wins or maybe 4 wins and 3 draws.

Wins

Burton
    Forest
    Hull
    Reading

Draws

Derby
    Sheff U
    Norwich

Unfortunately this isn't an average season. The range of points is wider than in other years with more shit teams and more good teams so I doubt that 87 will be enough. Could see 3 teams with 90+ points this year.

87 points would mean Villa and fulham could only afford to have 2 losses in their last 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Unfortunately this isn't an average season. The range of points is wider than in other years with more shit teams and more good teams so I doubt that 87 will be enough. Could see 3 teams with 90+ points this year.
    I agree. I think one, possibly 2 teams can count themselves extremely unfortunate not to get automatics this year. Can see 4 teams getting to that average of 87.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Now who was it said " There are 3 kinds of Lies. Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics! As much as I would love to believe that we only need 11 points to go up, I think that we need at least 91 this year, 5 wins or maybe 4 wins and 3 draws.

Wins

Burton
    Forest
    Hull
    Reading

Draws

Derby
    Sheff U
    Norwich

wolvesalona ?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I agree. I think one, possibly 2 teams can count themselves extremely unfortunate not to get automatics this year. Can see 4 teams getting to that average of 87.
    Very likely. When we won the Championship, Hull in 2nd had 79 points. Shows what a season it's been.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    wolvesalona ?
    Presume nil points?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Presume nil points?
    And a loss to Villa .

If only Fulham would have a blip .

Villa and Wolverona are capable as seen recently, our games against them are huge .