+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby County P - P Cardiff City

Derby County P - P Cardiff City

Match called off due to snow

More...

C:WindowsTempphp7529.tmpBut it's snow joke for the thousands from south Wales who had already set off to the east Midlands.

Derby County called off today's game against Cardiff City after snow fell in the area. It's left a sour taste after Cardiff fans had made their way to Derby, the team and officials were there and the game was due to be televised live on Sky.

News reports from the ground show a perfectly palyable pitch with no snow on it, and the clubs own MegaStore tweeted that there were open and encouraged fans to come and visit (the tweet was then deleted).

The restaurant at the ground also tweeted that it was open and welcoming customers but they have now back-tracked and said they are closed after receiving safety advice.

To be honest the whole thing stinks.

Derby are massively out of form and have a long injury list (yeah, tell us about it) so it's not taken too much calculation to put 2 and 2 together. Of course the snow is a great excuse and there's no way to prove anything but the decisions and actions from Derby County today seem far from acceptable.

Neil Warnock, speaking at the side of the pitch said

"We’ve got some of our fans outside that have travelled a distance, we’ve got some Derby fans outside that have come from miles away.

"I’m sorry I can’t accept that today – safety? We’ve come out from the middle of the countryside in the coach and the roads have been perfectly alright, so I just don’t know where they’re coming from with this. It leaves a sour taste for all the people that have travelled."

Warnock also alluded to Derby's injuries and said he wasn't surprised the game was off after hearing Derby's pre match comments.

Warnock said that it's embarrassing for Derby. When asked for a responce by Sky Sports News Derby County declined to comment

Cardiff therefore go into the international break with a seven point lead over 3rd place Fulham and a game in hand.

No new date has been set for this game yet.

"Now the Football League will try to force us to play the next available date," said Warnock. "which gives us three tough away games, so we're going to have to fight tooth and nail against that - we want it a week later than that. We shouldn't be punished for something like this because this is not our doing. I believe it's a big travesty, this today."

Re: Derby Couny P - P Cardiff City

Derby statement

"Following persistent heavy snowfall in Derby overnight, the surrounding areas at Pride Park Stadium have been left in an unsafe condition for supporters, staff and officials."

So no compassion shown, no wishing supporters a safe return journey. Pathetic

Re: Derby Couny P - P Cardiff City

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Derby County, but this has disappeared after today's debarcle.

Re: Derby County P - P Cardiff City

A post from their forum:

VulcanRam 2,106 VulcanRam
    Posted 43 minutes ago
    Given we have Warnock going on national television accusing us of all sorts, getting battered all over social media, the club "declining to comment" looks very poor.

I live within 3 miles of the stadium and the surrounding roads are fine.

League one Wigan perfectly playable. Leicester, just down the road from Derby, perfectly playable

International

The police stated they had not caused the game to be postponed, it was a club decision.
    The club said it was unsafe for fans to travel.
    Now the club says the pitch was frozen.
    Picture used by derby from a different time.
    They had a game a few weeks ago that went ahead in far worse conditions
    Twitter by the club shop saying everything was OK despite the postponement has now been removed by the club after going viral.
    On site restaurant is open as usual.
    none of the players or club officials turned up to the ground .
    no game has ever been stopped before because fans in villages miles away would have difficulty travelling. It was on TV they could have watched it at home

nothing unusual in any of this, its perfectly normal behaviour for an old and (previously) well respected footbal club