Can anyone help

Someone smashed into my car which was parked outside in September and drove away. I got the car and the reg plate and informed the police. I just wanted the insurance details, which the police got from the driver.

The claim has been ongoing for months and the other insurance have accepted liability but are refusing to pay out. Solicitors are now involved. At this point I've realised the repairs cost over £2,000 which is ridiculous. It was a big bump, needed new bumper and lights, but that's about it. It was done by the garage associated with my insurance, but there's no way the damage should've been over £1,000 imo. I'm wondering if the cost of repairs is the reason the insurers won't pay out.

I've had a renewal quote now of almost £200 a month which is also ridiculous. I've appealed but they've said until the claim is settled (which even after court, this might not happen) then it's tough.

I've tried new quotes on go compare and entering the claim as 'Accident - not settled' is still giving me high quotes of about 350 deposit and 130 a month. I'm only paying 55 a month currently!

Is there anything I can do? Any third party I can speak to, like a ombudsman? It doesn't seem right I'm being penalised. Should I choose another option when applying for insurance? Any help appreciated.