+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Car insurance question

Car insurance question

Can anyone help

Someone smashed into my car which was parked outside in September and drove away. I got the car and the reg plate and informed the police. I just wanted the insurance details, which the police got from the driver.

The claim has been ongoing for months and the other insurance have accepted liability but are refusing to pay out. Solicitors are now involved. At this point I've realised the repairs cost over £2,000 which is ridiculous. It was a big bump, needed new bumper and lights, but that's about it. It was done by the garage associated with my insurance, but there's no way the damage should've been over £1,000 imo. I'm wondering if the cost of repairs is the reason the insurers won't pay out.

I've had a renewal quote now of almost £200 a month which is also ridiculous. I've appealed but they've said until the claim is settled (which even after court, this might not happen) then it's tough.

I've tried new quotes on go compare and entering the claim as 'Accident - not settled' is still giving me high quotes of about 350 deposit and 130 a month. I'm only paying 55 a month currently!

Is there anything I can do? Any third party I can speak to, like a ombudsman? It doesn't seem right I'm being penalised. Should I choose another option when applying for insurance? Any help appreciated.

Re: Car insurance question

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Can anyone help

Someone smashed into my car which was parked outside in September and drove away. I got the car and the reg plate and informed the police. I just wanted the insurance details, which the police got from the driver.

The claim has been ongoing for months and the other insurance have accepted liability but are refusing to pay out. Solicitors are now involved. At this point I've realised the repairs cost over £2,000 which is ridiculous. It was a big bump, needed new bumper and lights, but that's about it. It was done by the garage associated with my insurance, but there's no way the damage should've been over £1,000 imo. I'm wondering if the cost of repairs is the reason the insurers won't pay out.

I've had a renewal quote now of almost £200 a month which is also ridiculous. I've appealed but they've said until the claim is settled (which even after court, this might not happen) then it's tough.

I've tried new quotes on go compare and entering the claim as 'Accident - not settled' is still giving me high quotes of about 350 deposit and 130 a month. I'm only paying 55 a month currently!

Is there anything I can do? Any third party I can speak to, like a ombudsman? It doesn't seem right I'm being penalised. Should I choose another option when applying for insurance? Any help appreciated.
    This story is outrageous.
    You are being done over twice.
    Makes my blood boil to hear this kind of situation and it's one that seems all too common these days

Sorry I can't help you but wish you good luck.

Unfortunately insurance companies assess people who have an accident, even if they are not to blame as a higher risk and consequently put the premiums up.
    The cost of the repair is irrelevant to this.

Is it worth lying then?

Is it worth lying then?
    Last thing you should do, it'll invalidate any future claim you need to make.

It's a shit system, it really is. But i think you'll need to suck it up until the claim is settled. Even when it is proven you are not to blame in any way, it will still raise your premium. A joke really

Can't help you with this one, but, the next policy you take out, have "protected no-claims" with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Can't help you with this one, but, the next policy you take out, have "protected no-claims" with it.
    Doesn’t make any difference. They just increase the underlying premium. They get you all ways...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Doesn’t make any difference. They just increase the underlying premium. They get you all ways...
    Nope, I am with MORE THAN, and my insurance has not gone up in years, in fact I paid less for the van last year.

Just haggle on the phone, this internet insurance lark is shit !!!!

Talk to someone and you get a better price.

A machine can't give you discounts

Nope, I am with MORE THAN, and my insurance has not gone up in years, in fact I paid less for the van last year.

This - also have a figure you want to pay and tell this is what X company have quoted..

ref the repair costs, I had a quote from a " independent body shop " for £750 for my wifes accident as we were going to do the work without contacting the insurance company ( she hit a bollard ) but she wanted to get it down through the insurance ( we have £250 excess ) afterall as she said " I have had insurance for over 20 years and not made a claim, why should i be £500 extra out of pocket "
    so we contacted the insurance company and they said we HAD to go to a approved place ( the place we found wasnt )

imagine our surprise when the next year we renew with someone else and we tell them about the accident, thats fine they say, how much was it, " well we had a quote for £750, so i expect £1000 - 1500 with the insurance company approved inflated price ", Hmmmm no Mr Matt, it was £3200

just another company with its figures in the pot, thieves the lot of them

Not disagreeing that you can get better quotes by ringing up. Just saved £100/year on my contents and buildings from one phone call.

However there are 2 main elements to a car insurance quote. Your basic premium and then your no-claims. Your basic premium goes up if you've been involved in any form of insurance claim, even if it wasn't your fault, before they apply your no-claims discount.

Always worth ringing and clarifying that it was 'no fault' of yours but the OP's car is parked outside it sounds like, so there is a risk it could be hit again is how the insurers will see it unless he can say the car is now parked on a drive. Apparently this gets you a cheaper quote than leaving it in a garage as it seems people damage their cars in garages...

Crazy. My insurance went up after being involved in an accident that wasn't my fault. To see them doing this to you is nauseating. I'd try the money saving expert forum if I was you.

Is it worth lying then?
    Never ever lie. It is fraud and the chances are you'll get caught.

Thanks for replies.

Spoke to solicitor today and they're confident of reaching settlement soon. The other insurers had a quantum dispute, which is in reference to the value of the repairs as I suspected. But they've offered close to the value so far im told so once threatened with court, should pay up. My insurance premiums will still go up after it's settled which I find ridiculous but I can live with it as it'll be nowhere near 190 a month!