+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for New York required

Tips for New York required

Dear Chaps (and Ladies if applicable)

Any tips for a trip to the Big Apple? In particular relating to the quirky and authentic rather than things corporate.
    I don't need accommodation as I know someone in Manhattan who has insisted I stay with them for the 5 nights concerned but all suggestions (withing reason!) would be gratefully received, including the best public transport deals.

Ta, luvs.

:tbg:

Re: Tips for New York required

I went to a nice Ethiopian restaurant there, where you have a concave table that they line with an enormous bread table cloth, that you tear bits off and use to eat the food in the middle. I can see if I can find the details if of interest.

They don't take Euros

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I went to a nice Ethiopian restaurant there, where you have a concave table that they line with an enormous bread table cloth, that you tear bits off and use to eat the food in the middle. I can see if I can find the details if of interest.
    Sounds a corker!

Go to Boston instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Go to Boston instead.
    Been there, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Been there, old fruit.
    In that case, go to Chicago instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    In that case, go to Chicago instead.
    Been there, old fruit.

Been there, old fruit.
    Stick with the Big Apple then, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Stick with the Big Apple then, old fruit.
    Cheap flights paid for with Norwegian Air and free accommodation sorted. There's no going back now

Cheap flights paid for with Norwegian Air and free accommodation sorted. There's no going back now
    I think you have to have a return ticket to show the immigration officials that you intend to go back home. So, it may be a short trip for you.

Enjoyed Greenwich Village

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I think you have to have a return ticket to show the immigration officials that you intend to go back home. So, it may be a short trip for you.
    Hence the word 'flights'.

Don't forget to give them a nice gift for their troubles, how about one of those oversized Welsh love spoons?

Go to Boston instead.
    Did a three stay trip recently NYC ,Mystic, Boston ,enjoyed the later two more .

In NYC we did Hudson River Cruise very good, and go to Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway for something different .http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com

sounds good

we are going in Aug and adding to the list now and then

found a 100% Veggie Chinese place

I had one of those meals in the Addis Ababa in Amsterdam - brilliant meal and I've been looking for somewhere else that does them ever since. Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    sounds good

we are going in Aug and adding to the list now and then

found a 100% Veggie Chinese place
    Hope I don’t bump into you. I have standards don’t you know

Go to Boston instead.
    The worst advice ever.

Any tips for a trip to the Big Apple? In particular relating to the quirky and authentic rather than things corporate.
    I don't need accommodation as I know someone in Manhattan who has insisted I stay with them for the 5 nights concerned but all suggestions (withing reason!) would be gratefully received, including the best public transport deals.

Ta, luvs.

If you're not interested in touristy stuff, I'd say the best thing you can do is just walk around and explore. Spend a day or a morning in the East Village walk over the West Village for dinner etc. Go over to Williamsburg in Brooklyn and check that out. I wouldn't worry about what restaurants to go to etc. Your friend should be able to tell you what's good. Just stay out of of obvious tourist traps and you'll be fine. If you're staying for 5 nights you might want a get a 7 day unlimited MetroCard. You can ride the buses (though not express buses) and subway all week for $32. In what neighborhood does your friend live?

Ta, luvs.

Cheap flights, free accommodation, take your own tips, bloody cheapskate, asking us to tip for you.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Did a three stay trip recently NYC ,Mystic, Boston ,enjoyed the later two more .

In NYC we did Hudson River Cruise very good, and go to Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway for something different .http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com
    That diner is the sort of place I want to avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If you're not interested in touristy stuff, I'd say the best thing you can do is just walk around and explore. Spend a day or a morning in the East Village walk over the West Village for dinner etc. Go over to Williamsburg in Brooklyn and check that out. I wouldn't worry about what restaurants to go to etc. Your friend should be able to tell you what's good. Just stay out of of obvious tourist traps and you'll be fine. If you're staying for 5 nights you might want a get a 7 day unlimited MetroCard. You can ride the buses (though not express buses) and subway all week for $32. In what neighborhood does your friend live?
    just out of interest, Uber or Subway ? ? ? what would you recommend ?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Cheers for that useful info. She lives east of Central Park.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    just out of interest, Uber or Subway ? ? ? what would you recommend ?? ?
    Within Manhattan, and for a tourist, Subway every time. It really does depend on the trip, but in a car you never know what you're going to run into. With construction, congestion etc it an take an hour to go a couple of miles.