+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One wonders whether the Derby Safety Advisory Group were there to inspect for themselves...

One wonders whether the Derby Safety Advisory Group were there to inspect for themselves...

...after this quote in today's Daliy Mirror:

"The decision WAS FULLY SUPPORTED BY the independent Safety Advisory Group, who are responsible for ensuring that the club complies with the terms and conditions of our Safety Certificate." said the club's chief public relations officer Paul Tyrrell in a statement issued on Monday.

"Fully supported by" does indicate the SAG took part in any inspection. I've had occasion to work alongside the Cardiff SAG which comprises Police, Ambulance, Fire Service and the Local Authority. These groups are (perhaps quite rightly in today's politically correct world) notoriously cautious and if a quick call was made to them from the club, I'd imagine would "fully support" the decision which ultimately absolves them of any responsibility should someone, for example, slip on ice en route to the stadium.

From all that we know thus far, it seems DCFC took this decision alone because it suited their interests. The fact that the Mirror and other national media outlets are following the story on a slow Monday suggests to me this goes as far as CCFC are prepared to take it.

Re: One wonders whether the Derby Safety Advisory Group were there to inspect for themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

"The decision WAS FULLY SUPPORTED BY the independent Safety Advisory Group, who are responsible for ensuring that the club complies with the terms and conditions of our Safety Certificate." said the club's chief public relations officer Paul Tyrrell in a statement issued on Monday.

"Fully supported by" does indicate the SAG took part in any inspection. I've had occasion to work alongside the Cardiff SAG which comprises Police, Ambulance, Fire Service and the Local Authority. These groups are (perhaps quite rightly in today's politically correct world) notoriously cautious and if a quick call was made to them from the club, I'd imagine would "fully support" the decision which ultimately absolves them of any responsibility should someone, for example, slip on ice en route to the stadium.

From all that we know thus far, it seems DCFC took this decision alone because it suited their interests. The fact that the Mirror and other national media outlets are following the story on a slow Monday suggests to me this goes as far as CCFC are prepared to take it.
    Can I amend the text above to say :

"Fully supported by" does NOT indicate the SAG took part in any inspection. Apologies

Re: One wonders whether the Derby Safety Advisory Group were there to inspect for themselves...

The Derby statement says it was a Conference Call you so can be safe in the knowledge they were not there to inspect. Therefore a Director has a look around, says it's a bit slippy and rings them to ask to support a postponement of a game. Seems a fairly trivial way of deciding something given the 10's of thousands of pounds loss to supporters in wasted time and money before any further costs are considered.

From this saga I am beginning to think any club could call off a game at any time for the reasons of H&S or security, and the SAG/OB and other bodies would dare to try and reverse the decision. The fact that very rarely would a home team not want a game to go ahead is the reason we do not see this happening often, if not at all over many years. In most instances Clubs pull the stops out to get a game to go ahead not the reverse. I am in no doubt Derby pulled one here and City have been pooped on big style.
    Spedger

They were frightened to play us ,bugger em , we will see them soon.🤐

A Derby City Council spokesperson told WalesOnline on Monday: "Derby County Football Club took the decision to postpone the Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Cardiff City on Sunday due to the weather conditions and the health and safety of people travelling to the ground. This was the club’s decision.

"As Chair of the Safety Advisory Group, the Council representative was subsequently informed.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-14431023

So the Chair of the Safety Advisory Group was 'informed' after Derby County had made the decision!

The Council and police are stepping away from this one and DCFC may have to revise their story yet again. It seems clear that - despite attempts to get cover from Derby Council, the police, the SAG and any other organisation or agency that they would like to hide behind - the club made this decision (Safety Officer and board member) alone. They have been at best confused in their justification, and probably cynical and dishonest. But it is unravelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A Derby City Council spokesperson told WalesOnline on Monday: "Derby County Football Club took the decision to postpone the Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Cardiff City on Sunday due to the weather conditions and the health and safety of people travelling to the ground. This was the club’s decision.

"As Chair of the Safety Advisory Group, the Council representative was subsequently informed.

So the Chair of the Safety Advisory Group was 'informed' after Derby County had made the decision!

The Council and police are stepping away from this one and DCFC may have to revise their story yet again. It seems clear that - despite attempts to get cover from Derby Council, the police, the SAG and any other organisation or agency that they would like to hide behind - the club made this decision (Safety Officer and board member) alone. They have been at best confused in their justification, and probably cynical and dishonest. But it is unravelling.
    I reckon it was the Butler wot did it. You watch, it won’t be the fault of anyone on high...

The EFL could set a dangerous precedent if they fail to punish Derby

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Wow! Nice one.

Wow! Nice one.
    The way out of this mess is to award the game to Cardiff and advise Derby on the correct procedure in future. Fans who had travelled, although not seeing the game would be spared the hassle of a return trip and its costs.

The whole thing is a farce, and Derby County FC knew exactly what the prepared drill was before morning broke yesterday as they hoped for some snow to arrive.

When it did, it seems like someone has got a little too excited and has jumped the gun before all the other 'players' in the scene were briefed.

You are now seeing these backing out one by one.

Warnock is bang on in saying that the club were embarrassed to see us there, and to have an interview live on Sky with a fully playable pitch 2 yards away.

I don't believe in a points deduction / forfeiting the game however, but I do think some public penalty should be meted out to prevent this stunt being pulled again.

My realistic and possibly feasible solution is that Derby County should be made to reimburse any costs lost due to this, offer free tickets and travel to all those affected yesterday for the replay AND said replay date is agreed with us beforehand to best suit our schedule / requirements.

Wow! Nice one.
    Snowgate redux

I think Derby should get a points deduction of between 3-10 points, and we still replay our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    The whole thing is a farce, and Derby County FC knew exactly what the prepared drill was before morning broke yesterday as they hoped for some snow to arrive.

When it did, it seems like someone has got a little too excited and has jumped the gun before all the other 'players' in the scene were briefed.

You are now seeing these backing out one by one.

Warnock is bang on in saying that the club were embarrassed to see us there, and to have an interview live on Sky with a fully playable pitch 2 yards away.

I don't believe in a points deduction / forfeiting the game however, but I do think some public penalty should be meted out to prevent this stunt being pulled again.

My realistic and possibly feasible solution is that Derby County should be made to reimburse any costs lost due to this, offer free tickets and travel to all those affected yesterday for the replay AND said replay date is agreed with us beforehand to best suit our schedule / requirements.
    ^ Agreed. It’s the least I’d expect but if they did this and issued an apology to all concerned I suppose that would help stop this happening again. Given the effect this type of skullduggery could have over the integrity of the league and this seasons championship, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the 3 points awarded to us.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...ed-efl-1357282

This picture they keep using on the derby telegraph site - they do realise whoever took it is more or less lying on the floor to get that angle, there's barely a couple of inches of snow there that's been piled to one side - it's an embarrassing attempt to make it look like the stadium is snowed in

What i dont understand is why there was no attempt to delay the game

I believe if they do punish Derby they should award us a 2-0 win.

A points deduction punishes us too as we would fail to pull away from Villa and Fulham and the chasers as far down as Millwall in tenth all benefit.

A replayed game still gives time for injury's and suspensions to be available thus we lose that advantage that Derby cheated us of.

The EFL need to set this straight for the good of ALL the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by sanctum of blue View Post

A points deduction punishes us too as we would fail to pull away from Villa and Fulham and the chasers as far down as Millwall in tenth all benefit.

A replayed game still gives time for injury's and suspensions to be available thus we lose that advantage that Derby cheated us of.

There’s no chance of awarding the game to City. Anyone thinking along those lines is well off the mark. Nothing will be done about it and knowing the EFL the game will be set for 17 April.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    There’s no chance of awarding the game to City. Anyone thinking along those lines is well off the mark. Nothing will be done about it and knowing the EFL the game will be set for 17 April.
    You're probably right, but its fun to dream

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I think Derby should get a points deduction of between 3-10 points, and we still replay our game.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanctum of blue View Post

Being pedantic, but I wish people would stop saying "REPLAY" the game. !

The game never started, so it cannot be replayed, it can only be played.

Rant over

Did the local Tesco close it's doors in case the customers slipped? How about Wetherspoons?

Should be played at CCS.
    Punishes derby and restores out advantange

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...ed-efl-1357282

This picture they keep using on the derby telegraph site - they do realise whoever took it is more or less lying on the floor to get that angle, there's barely a couple of inches of snow there that's been piled to one side - it's an embarrassing attempt to make it look like the stadium is snowed in
    The guy that took the photo has said that it was taken in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    The guy that took the photo has said that it was taken in 2016
    So why did they publish it making out it was Sunday? If it smells like, it usually is....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Being pedantic, but I wish people would stop saying "REPLAY" the game. !

The game never started, so it cannot be replayed, it can only be played.

Rant over
    It's like the use of the term 'unplayable' If they are able to play they are playable - and cannot therefore be described as 'unplayable'.