+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian

SAN FRANCISCO — A woman in Tempe, Ariz., died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on public roads.

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode occurred overnight, although the authorities did not specify whether it was late Sunday or early Monday. The woman was not publicly identified.

An Uber spokeswoman said the company was “fully cooperating” with the local authorities. The company said it had suspended testing of its self-driving cars in Tempe, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto.

Now we know that people die from being run over all over the world, but will people stomach autonomous cars if this becomes more common ? ? ?

Re: Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian

"outside of a crosswalk"

So she wasn't actually on the crossing? I'd imagine the car would have been able to sense if there were people on a crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    "outside of a crosswalk"

So she wasn't actually on the crossing? I'd imagine the car would have been able to sense if there were people on a crossing.
    I don't think it should make any difference to the car whether it was on a crossing or not.
    Maybe there was a glitch or weakness in the system or maybe she stepped out any the car couldn't stop quickly enough even with the reactions of a computer.
    Tragic accident either way.
    In the long run though self driving cars are here to stay, and they will save millions of lives.

Stick it on Politics board pleaze.

"An Uber spokeswoman said the car was 'fully cooperating' with the local authorities."

Unbelievable!

Will self driving cars mean “drink driving” is possible in future?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    It's possible now (see Ant and Dec thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I think almost certainly yes, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think almost certainly yes, eventually.
    the Ultimate aim for the autonomous cars is that the car will do everything, so the passenger can do anything they want

The area is moving so fast, they have said they hope that in 10 years most major cities will be full of autonomous ubers ( as uber appear to by throwing money into it )

Interesting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the Ultimate aim for the autonomous cars is that the car will do everything, so the passenger can do anything they want

The area is moving so fast, they have said they hope that in 10 years most major cities will be full of autonomous ubers ( as uber appear to by throwing money into it )

Interesting stuff
    If they haven't already killed everybody by then

So is this a plan by the left to control the free movement of people? Shared use of vehicles equals a loss of freedom. This is Agenda 21/30 right? Super-sized cities, managed transport and controlled movement of those who live within them.

It just lacks imagination. A self driving car. Why not pick something else. A self driving setee and tele type set up. If the driver is redundant then why not up the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    It just lacks imagination. A self driving car. Why not pick something else. A self driving setee and tele type set up. If the driver is redundant then why not up the experience.
    I'm sure that will come eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So is this a plan by the left to control the free movement of people? Shared use of vehicles equals a loss of freedom. This is Agenda 21/30 right? Super-sized cities, managed transport and controlled movement of those who live within them.
    What makes you think that this has anything to do with "the left".
    market forces are driving this - a lot of industry insiders see this as the way the industry will go.
    They think people won't own their cars, they will summon a self driving vehicle that will take them to where they want to go and then disappear off to the next job.
    Pay per use.
    The benefits are huge.
    No parked cars clogging up our streets, kids could actually play out in them.
    elderly, disabled or drunk people don't have to rely on other people to drive them around, it will be a great improvement on people's liberty, not curtailing it.

Super sized cities are basically happening already, whether we want them or not.

What makes you think that this has anything to do with "the left".
    market forces are driving this - a lot of industry insiders see this as the way the industry will go.
    They think people won't own their cars, they will summon a self driving vehicle that will take them to where they want to go and then disappear off to the next job.
    Pay per use.
    The benefits are huge.
    No parked cars clogging up our streets, kids could actually play out in them.
    elderly, disabled or drunk people don't have to rely on other people to drive them around, it will be a great improvement on people's liberty, not curtailing it.

Super sized cities are basically happening already, whether we want them or not.
    This really needs to happen. I've been to some cities in the world where a 1 mile trip in a taxi can take an average of an hour. Made all the worse by the fact I stupidly jumped into a non air-conditioned taxi and was left with a choice of opening windows to breathe in poisonous air, or closing windows to die by suffocation.

You’ve moved on from Breitbart to reading Judge Dredd now have you?

Blog Entries

Don't worry it will be great! beware the 'useful idiots'

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Don't worry it will be great! beware the 'useful idiots'
    What does this even mean?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    What does this even mean?
    It means if you don't know what it means you might be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    It means if you don't know what it means you might be one.
    Nah, I've never been useful in my life. Idiot, that goes without saying, but useful - not me.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    You’ve moved on from Breitbart to reading Judge Dredd now have you?

I've had a think about it, and I would rather live in the countryside, with my own car and real money, so it's a no from me regarding these Uber cars, that may or may not be available whenever you need them

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    "outside of a crosswalk"

The car also had a human driver in it. Neither a computer that checks things many times a second nor a human noticed this ****ing idiot!

I've had a think about it, and I would rather live in the countryside, with my own car and real money, so it's a no from me regarding these Uber cars, that may or may not be available whenever you need them
    What about when non self driving cars are made illegal?

What about when non self driving cars are made illegal?
    I'll get a solar powered bicycle. BTW who are going to make them illegal?