+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tips for Los Angeles required

Tips for Los Angeles required

In 2000 I went to LA for a few days. Also managed 24 hours in Vegas. One of the best trips I ever had and fondly remembered.

A mix of coincidence, circumstance and and opportunity means I'm heading to LA again in a few weeks. Actually over the weekend of the final game v Reading.

I'm there for a week, only one prior engagement booked (and that's pretty special) but would appreciate any tips.

I'm thinking Malibu, Venice, Hollywood, Universal, Warner Bros, not bothered about Disney (done Paris and Orlando before).

Any thing I should try to see?

Re: Tips for Los Angeles required

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    not bothered about Disney (done Paris and Orlando before).
    Thats me out

anymore of that chatter and i will be flouncing

In 2000 I went to LA for a few days. Also managed 24 hours in Vegas. One of the best trips I ever had and fondly remembered.

A mix of coincidence, circumstance and and opportunity means I'm heading to LA again in a few weeks. Actually over the weekend of the final game v Reading.

I'm there for a week, only one prior engagement booked (and that's pretty special) but would appreciate any tips.

I'm thinking Malibu, Venice, Hollywood, Universal, Warner Bros, not bothered about Disney (done Paris and Orlando before).

Gotta be a bar with Reading on the telly

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Gotta be a bar with Reading on the telly
    At 4:30am. **** that, we will be up already.

'We' as in Cardiff already promoted.

I bloody hope so. I really don't think I could take watching if it comes down to the last game.

Actually the adrenalin rush of doing it would be off the scale à la QPR.
    Last edited by MacAdder; 20-03-18 at 22:47. Reason: addendum

I haven’t been there for a good few years but the Getty Museum is a nice place to visit. Has a great view over the city too.

Universal is a must, as is Malibu. Some of the beaches in Malibu are amazing, as is the state creek park if you like a walk through the mountains. Encountered a wild rattle snake (from a foot away) which was pretty mental. Will try to get back there in a couple of years.

Try and make it down to San Diego if you have a day or two, great city with a world class zoo. The drive is about 3 hours ish from what I remember. Santa Barbara which is the opposite direction is also worth it but I suppose with your time frame you won't have a chance to do both.

You can pretty much do LA within a week if you pack everything in properly and are not bothered about being active for 10-12 hours a day. Disney I wouldn't bother with unless you're going with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Universal is a must, as is Malibu. Some of the beaches in Malibu are amazing, as is the state creek park if you like a walk through the mountains. Encountered a wild rattle snake (from a foot away) which was pretty mental. Will try to get back there in a couple of years.

Try and make it down to San Diego if you have a day or two, great city with a world class zoo. The drive is about 3 hours ish from what I remember. Santa Barbara which is the opposite direction is also worth it but I suppose with your time frame you won't have a chance to do both.

You can pretty much do LA within a week if you pack everything in properly and are not bothered about being active for 10-12 hours a day. Disney I wouldn't bother with unless you're going with kids.
    San Diego - and zoo - are worthwhile if you have time which is precious on such visit. It's two and a half hours one way if you miss rush hour though and who wants to sit in a car for best part of a day?

Within Los Angeles, I agree the Getty Museum is a good visit as is the Queen Mary, now a floating museum moored at Long Beach. I'd also put in a word for the Griffith Observatory and Planetarium, the most visited attraction of its kind in the world. It's located on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood in Griffith Park, and is the best vantage point for observing the world-famous Hollywood Sign.

http://www.griffithobservatory.org/a...servatory.html

and of particular note to ourselves, the Observatory and Griffith Park were donated to Los Angeles by the bequest of Griffith J Griffith 1850 - 1919, a Welshman born in Bettws who made his money as a mining consultant on the west coast. A colourful character, Griffith
    later spent 2 years in jail after an attempt to kill his wife. He also donated 3,000 acres of land to LA which to this day is known as Griffith Park. Wiki bio here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_J._Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    San Diego - and zoo - are worthwhile if you have time which is precious on such visit. It's two and a half hours one way if you miss rush hour though and who wants to sit in a car for best part of a day?

Within Los Angeles, I agree the Getty Museum is a good visit as is the Queen Mary, now a floating museum moored at Long Beach. I'd also put in a word for the Griffith Observatory and Planetarium, the most visited attraction of its kind in the world. It's located on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood in Griffith Park, and is the best vantage point for observing the world-famous Hollywood Sign.

and of particular note to ourselves, the Observatory and Griffith Park were donated to Los Angeles by the bequest of Griffith J Griffith 1850 - 1919, a Welshman born in Bettws who made his money as a mining consultant on the west coast. A colourful character, Griffith
    later spent 2 years in jail after an attempt to kill his wife. He also donated 3,000 acres of land to LA which to this day is known as Griffith Park. Wiki bio here:

Griffith is superb, forgot about that. I walked up there and didn’t bus it like a lot of people. It was 35 degrees, I thought I was going to pass out as there isn’t much shade on the way up

I'm there end of June - let me know any tips

Im also doing San Francisco, Santa Monica, Yosemite, Six flags, LA and San Diego - maybe pop over the border and sell my kids as well - I've decided I'm not bothering with World Cup

Anyone going to do the LA trip end of May for the Wales game against Mexico?

Seriously thinking about it, reckon I could do it with a grand.

Stay at Santa Monica from where you can catch a bus to Venice and Muscle beaches around the corner. You could even walk there along the beach if you wish. You could even stay at the Hotel California although I couldn't recommend it. I also stayed at the Travelodge - cheap and cheerful which was well situated opposite the pier.

Don't bother with Universal as recommended above as it isn't a patch on the Florida version.

Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

I recommend this tour guide!

escape LA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
    Arctic Monkeys are playing a gig in the cemetery while we are in LA. Their first gig in a few years

I'd also put in a word for the Griffith Observatory and Planetarium, the most visited attraction of its kind in the world. It's located on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood in Griffith Park, and is the best vantage point for observing the world-famous Hollywood Sign.

What was his name again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What was his name again?
    It's in the text - Griffith J Griffith

It's in the text - Griffith J Griffith
    Thanks, I knew it began with a G!

Arctic Monkeys are playing a gig in the cemetery while we are in LA. Their first gig in a few years
    It's an amazing place. Lots of famous people buried there.