+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morecambe - 893 attendance

Morecambe - 893 attendance

Must be one of the lowest Football League crowds ever. I remember Chester getting about 650 once, and I think Scarborough did too.

The lowest recorded attendance was 13 for a Stockport County game at Old Trafford, but there were a few thousand there from the earlier game featuring Man U.

Re: Morecambe - 893 attendance

Morecambe. Now that place is a proper shit hole. One of the worst towns I’ve ever visited. I’m sure it’s where Morrissey was thinking about when he wrote “Every day is like Sunday”

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Morecambe. Now that place is a proper shit hole. One of the worst towns I’ve ever visited. I’m sure it’s where Morrissey was thinking about when he wrote “Every day is like Sunday”
    I’ve holidayed in Morecambe and enjoyed it. If you stay in the north end of town it is very pleasant and the scenery is beautiful. There are some rough pubs in the town centre but I love rough pubs. I visit Rhyl and Blackpool too. You can keep your poncey latte joints and cocktail bars. Give me a pub full of older tattooed women and pork scratchings and I’m happy.

3039 were at selhurst park for Wimbledon v Everton for a Premier League game.

Arsenal had an attendance of 4,544 for a First Division fixture in May 1966. Also in the 1970s clubs like Rochdale, Darlington, Workington and a few others had sub 1000 crowds. We had lows of around 1600 too in 86/7 0r 87/8.

We had 997 against scarbough in early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    We had 997 against scarbough in early 90s
    We've not a League attendance below 1000, although some minor cup games had attracted sub 1000 gates.

The lowest I can find from 80s and 90s are:
    86/7 v Halifax 1785
    86/7 v Wrexham 1556
    86/7 v Orient 1362
    86/7 v Torquay 1840
    86/7 v Hartlepool 1335
    90/1 v Aldershot 1629
    95/6 v Wigan 1611
    96/7 v Darlington 1667

And I was at all those games, usually freezing in an empty ground for the winter games!

Thankfully since then it's not been as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Give me a pub full of older tattooed women and pork scratchings and I’m happy.
    Are you related to Sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Arsenal had an attendance of 4,544 for a First Division fixture in May 1966. Also in the 1970s clubs like Rochdale, Darlington, Workington and a few others had sub 1000 crowds. We had lows of around 1600 too in 86/7 0r 87/8.
    I saw a first division game between Wimbledon and Oxford at Plough Lane in the mid 80s that I had thought was the lowest ever attendance for a top tier game. I'm not sure it was lower than 4,544 though. How on earth did Arsenal have an attendance that low?

Went with a friend to Hereford FC v Frome Town last night.

The away attendance was announced as 13. They had half of the length of one side of the ground to themselves and only realised they were there when their attendance was announced and all waved and burst into a song.

Fair dos to the 13 though, a 5-hour round trip, midweek, following a non-league mid-table obscurity side is really beyond the call of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Went with a friend to Hereford FC v Frome Town last night.

The away attendance was announced as 13. They had half of the length of one side of the ground to themselves and only realised they were there when their attendance was announced and all waved and burst into a song.

Fair dos to the 13 though, a 5-hour round trip, midweek, following a non-league mid-table obscurity side is really beyond the call of duty.
    Went to a Conference (National League) Forest Green game versus Droylsden a few seasons back. Droylden had 2 (two) fans, they responded to you came on a tandem with "we came on a skateboard"

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I saw a first division game between Wimbledon and Oxford at Plough Lane in the mid 80s that I had thought was the lowest ever attendance for a top tier game. I'm not sure it was lower than 4,544 though. How on earth did Arsenal have an attendance that low?
    There was a European Cup Winners Final on TV the same night. Liverpool verses Brorussia Dortmund.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    There was a European Cup Winners Final on TV the same night. Liverpool verses Brorussia Dortmund.
    The Tommy Lawrence own goal, what a heartbreaker for the Scousers.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Must be one of the lowest Football League crowds ever. I remember Chester getting about 650 once, and I think Scarborough did too.

The lowest recorded attendance was 13 for a Stockport County game at Old Trafford, but there were a few thousand there from the earlier game featuring Man U.
    Since they moved the stadium to the middle of nowhere with shit public transport and NO pubs, they've blown all the walk up crowd away. Crippled with debt from the move and not looking good for them at all!

I used to watch Morecambe when in the Beazer Homes league, nicking in over the fence with our football. At half-time we would go on the pitch for a penalty shoot out. Used to love it that the crowds would swap ends at half time

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Since they moved the stadium to the middle of nowhere with shit public transport and NO pubs, they've blown all the walk up crowd away. Crippled with debt from the move and not looking good for them at all!

I used to watch Morecambe when in the Beazer Homes league, nicking in over the fence with our football. At half-time we would go on the pitch for a penalty shoot out. Used to love it that the crowds would swap ends at half time
    They obviously need more fans like you, nicking in over the fence, to get back on an even keel