+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cambridge Analytica

Cambridge Analytica

Here's one for the tin foil officionados on here.

Is it usual practice for the "information commissioner" to announce that they will be ransacking CA's offices, before they actually have a judge's permission to do it, then waiting several days before actually getting it.

In the meantime, CA employees are filmed carting out dozens of boxes from their offices. How they expect to find anything left there now is beyond me.

Re: Cambridge Analytica

Channel 4 were very keen to make the Trump connection, but I thought the Trump campaigns were getting their data from the RNC? Will have to watch this one, they seem to be another Fusion GPS type of company.

After watching the Facebook whistle-blower video, it seems there is the possibility that the whole thing was set up for there to be plausible deniability regarding who was helping themselves to what. A simple programming method made it possible to scoop up the entire social graph of a user. The engineer in question was encouraged not to look into it to stop knowledge of the data breach being recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    ps I think we will find over the next few weeks / months that CA helped a lot of companies, who in turned worked for various political parties both in the UK, US and other places.

FaceBook GEO targeting is great for advertisers to go directly to their intended audience. Fine if you are looking at a new pair of trainers or jeans etc. Not so great if it's political though, or rather political manipulation.

Labour used to use a system called 'Promote' to target voters, an in house system from Momentum I believe, the source for their data that Promote uses has not been looked into yet. All parties used FaceBook as a delivery platform though.

I think the ICO (Information commissioners office) will be taking a very keen interest in this. Whether we will see fines and case law precedent is another guess.

The only reason I know this , is Ive been doing work with GDPR and all the red tape that goes with it for a while (minefield)
    Interesting comments.

While I'd like them to get a hefty fine, it does seem like the horse has bolted.

Have a look at this interesting documentary. The traffic analysis algorithm looks similar to the idea that was used to start Facebook.

Have you ever wondered why both Trump and Corbyn became very popular , a business man that not many people like and a back bencher who has never held any political office in his life other than a perpetual campaigner that votes against everything.
    Because the alternative was hated even more?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In the meantime, CA employees are filmed carting out dozens of boxes from their offices. How they expect to find anything left there now is beyond me.
    Where did you see this - got a link?

Couldn't find anything about that but I also thought it sounded strange to announce they would be coming to search the offices once they got a warrant.

Let's not forget that Fusion GPS went a step further than Cambridge Analytica, they conspired directly with the FBI, CIA & DOJ to overthrow a sitting US president, however the media seem very reticent when it comes to reporting these details.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Mostly this.

It does seem that CA's modus operandi is the political equivalent of tricking a mentally ill woman to be your sex slave.

I suppose nobody thinks they are easily manipulated though.

Cambridge Analytica Chief Advised Foreign Office On Trump's Presidential Campaign Data Tactics

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b008c9e5f39523

Or the hatred was used ?

Nail on the head. Dont want to go off topic but there was a post on facebook, that lots of people I know reacted to, people calling politicians all sorts of names etc - channel4 news then debunked it. If they hadn't the majority of people I saw react would then go round telling everyone else , until it becomes fake truth..
    What was the post about?

What was the post about?
    Hatred

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Where did you see this - got a link?

Couldn't find anything about that but I also thought it sounded strange to announce they would be coming to search the offices once they got a warrant.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...b-bc4b9f08f381

Mentioned in there, also mentions how it is very unusual to be tipped off first.

This isn't where I saw about the boxes though, I saw images and video of people carting off boxes