+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Being the best in the world on a level playing field

Being the best in the world on a level playing field

Has got to carry more authenticity than being the best when your top loaded?
    Tennis players, snooker players, Boxers etc win a title by being the best of the rest, with absolutely no advantages over their opponents, where as the likes of Lewis Hamilton for instance, gets to drive one of the best cars in the world. The likes of Barcelona, Man City, get to buy the best players because of their wealth.
    More credit should go to champions who reach the top in a level playing field, surely?

Re: Being the best in the world on a level playing field

It's like old rich men v young handsome men.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's like old rich men v young poor handsome men.
    Amended for you.

International

golf is the same. Why have handicaps, if you are not good enough to beat someone then practice more, get better. Why should you be allowed to take points of your score..

The one I wouldn't agree with is Hamilton. Even Alonso said he was the best because " He even wins races driving a BAD car".

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    golf is the same. Why have handicaps, if you are not good enough to beat someone then practice more, get better. Why should you be allowed to take points of your score..

The one I wouldn't agree with is Hamilton. Even Alonso said he was the best because " He even wins races driving a BAD car".
    Golf started out as an inclusive social game, hence the handicap meant players with varying skill levels could enjoy a round together, although the playing field was far from level!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Has got to carry more authenticity than being the best when your top loaded?
    Tennis players, snooker players, Boxers etc win a title by being the best of the rest, with absolutely no advantages over their opponents, where as the likes of Lewis Hamilton for instance, gets to drive one of the best cars in the world. The likes of Barcelona, Man City, get to buy the best players because of their wealth.
    More credit should go to champions who reach the top in a level playing field, surely?
    No, I think it is more impressive when people who have a massive unfair advantage routinely crush the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No, I think it is more impressive when people who have a massive unfair advantage routinely crush the opposition.
    Cool reply bro 👍

Valentino Rossi, Mark Marquez, could win on a donkey

I also saw Nigel Mansell win a dumper truck race against the builders doing his mansion.

Aren't man City / Barca ultimately a load of men who are just better than the 11 men they face though?

Sure they were thrust together by cash but all top athletes have had input by sponsors etc without which it's incredibly unlikely they would have made it to the top.

Same as horses. I've often wondered why horses can't just run all under the same weights