+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a career change. Looking for a trade..

Thinking of a career change. Looking for a trade..

I've always managed to earn decent money, but lately the thought of going in to a dead end job doing the same few tasks over and over really grates my shit.

I gave up a good wage on the rails to do my current job, I still earn enough and also have the added bonus of no forced weekends (although I can pretty much work my own hours so I do from time to time to fend of the bills)

Have been considering a part time evening course in college to learn carpentry, so I guess my question is, are these qualifications really worth it? Or is there a better way to get into the trade?

I'm thinking part time so I can still work and earn, at 32 I'm really not looking for a low paid apprenticeship.

Any advice? Anyone done similar at an "old age" ?

Re: Thinking of a career change. Looking for a trade..

There are many ways to train and earn. Which one is right for you depends on your circumstances. You might be able to get financial help depending on your situation and previous qualifications. Go and see a careers adviser - 0800 028 4844

You can do carpentry level 1 and 2 part time.Difficult for someone of your age to get on the job training and get a decent wage.Carpentry apprenticeships are generally like rocking horse shite to find and you'll be competing with lads that would accept a lot less money while learning.

I will speak with my Carpenter / Site agent hat on now

In the old days the part time college courses for a Chippy / Brickie / Plasterer were generally laughed at in the trade, as while in college you learn the " right way " onsite being taught by some old dude who has done it all was perceived as the way to learn

Now these days them same courses are a " foot in the door " for a " semi-skilled type of job " , my brother is a site agent and the sliding pay scale in hilarious ( this in in London and per day, they do vary a little )

Does not speak English labourer = £50
    Speak English Labourer = £70
    Semi Skilled Labourer who doesnt speak English = 90
    Semi Skilled labourer who speaks English = 120
    Multi-trade / Handyman = 140
    Tradesman = ???

Now as you can see, the the semi-skilled market isnt that well paid, but its a way to get " on the job skills "

Good Luck, best thing i ever did was pack the building game in, just too price driven, though as i understand it, things are changing again to the days when tradespeople had a little respect

Cheers for the replies. No sarcy ones either.. kinda deflated my mood that.

I will try careers but they likely have some low paid course, maybe I'll get lucky with an offer to pay my course.. it isn't a high amount for the year though so wouldn't feel comfortable taking when I can afford it.

I've had a look on website and there are PT courses available in Sept. I wouldn't want an apprenticeship tbh as I'll be staying in my job to earn a decent wage..

Matt.. know a few lads doing private work and site work and they are always busy now, think it's on the boom again.
    I would have stayed on rails but the weekends and being told "your in 3 out of 4 weekends or find a new job" didn't really suit me.

Companies are crying out for smart meter engineers, okay the initial gas course for metering can be expensive, and with no experience in gas it maybe a little difficult, but worth it, the energy suppliers will train you in the electric side.
    Easy work, excellent money!

BT Openreach are looking to hire 3,500 trainee engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    https://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/c...eers/index.htm

1st 12 months training 20 K
    then after that £23,650 plus a 10% on-target bonus leading to on target earnings (OTE) of £26,015.

Depends on what kind of carpentry you are going to go in to. If for example Kitchen fitting is something you fancy, then carpentry qualifications are not necessary - they would want to see 2 to 3 completed jobs you have done. If this were the line you were going down, better to do the electrical courses on offer so that you could do your own electrics.

As someone else said, whilst you could get the qualifications, you would not have the experience, so straight away your knackered for earning potential.

I have the bits of paper to qualify me as an electrician, but nobody is going to employ me at a decent rate, as I don't have enough on site experience - not that I want or could do it anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    What about doing health and safety on the railways ? , I know its similar to what you do now, but I have a mate who does it, works on a contract basis (I think), does lift anything , he does the paperwork re closing the line, supervises it happening and that's about it.

Money is great circa 1200 a week I think
    Was supervising in my last job, glorified pen pusher was great. My tickets have all ran out now so would be a case of starting from the bottom, also meaning back to weekends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Depends on what kind of carpentry you are going to go in to. If for example Kitchen fitting is something you fancy, then carpentry qualifications are not necessary - they would want to see 2 to 3 completed jobs you have done. If this were the line you were going down, better to do the electrical courses on offer so that you could do your own electrics.

As someone else said, whilst you could get the qualifications, you would not have the experience, so straight away your knackered for earning potential.

I have the bits of paper to qualify me as an electrician, but nobody is going to employ me at a decent rate, as I don't have enough on site experience - not that I want or could do it anyway !
    This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for, I was scared of the "experience = earnings"

At this rate I'd be better off canning the idea.

Few people I know are doing kitchen fitting but there's no room for a labourer..

Meh.

What you may have to do is do a few ‘weekend’ kitchens alongside your normal work, I always found the guys I took on who had ‘corpirately’ We’re much more rounded and easier to work with than pure tradesman. If you want to know anymore PM me mate.

What you may have to do is do a few ‘weekend’ kitchens alongside your normal work, I always found the guys I took on who had ‘corpirately’ We’re much more rounded and easier to work with than pure tradesman. If you want to know anymore PM me mate.
    Corpirately - now there’s a Freudian slip

Corpirately - now there’s a Freudian slip
    Need to have think and also a chat with a few people, I've got no experience so maybe a few evenings a week wouldn't be such a sacrifice whilst staying in work.

Why didn't I take that fecking weston power apprenticeship straight from school
    After I was advised and advised to get a trade.. amazing what a shitty paying full time job can do to a barely 17 year olds long term judgement.

If i need anything I will certainly PM. Thank you.

There are loads of chippies out there, most have been doing it since they left school. With 20 odd years experience behind them you will find it hard to compete, they also get the work done quickly as well as a high standard. It would take a good few years to compete.
    If you have some cash to invest perhaps go for a dust free sander for wooden floors? Think they cost about £5000 to buy but at about £500 a room you can make the initial payment back quite quick. A guy I know bought one, did a school
    hall and made his money back straight away.

How do you fancy driving a truck ?
    I have an opportunity coming up driving a 18 tonne truck where you can earn as much or as little as you want , with a bit of effort £1000 a week is possible , no weekend work but can be long days and to maximise earnings occasion evenings out .
    Anyone reading this who has class two licence and may be interested let me know .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I have an opportunity coming up driving a 18 tonne truck where you can earn as much or as little as you want , with a bit of effort £1000 a week is possible , no weekend work but can be long days and to maximise earnings occasion evenings out .
    Anyone reading this who has class two licence and may be interested let me know .
    Any more details on this, Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Will pass this on to my mate

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Just had a look at this.
    Nice one WB 👍

Great thread this.. I myself am a distributor with a company called Utility Warehouse.
    I wouldn’t advise relying on it full time but as an add on its great.
    For introducing 6 new customers you can get 2040 a month.
    Happy to reply to any private messages 👍.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Great thread this.. I myself am a distributor with a company called Utility Warehouse.
    I wouldn’t advise relying on it full time but as an add on its great.
    For introducing 6 new customers you can get 2040 a month.
    Happy to reply to any private messages 👍.
    Less optimistic report about Utility Warehouse here though:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-joanna-lumley

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Less optimistic report about Utility Warehouse here though:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-joanna-lumley

There’s plenty of good press. This is lazy journalism on the part of the writer.
    Some people do more some people do less, of course there’s not going to be an even handed distribution.
    As for the tariffs rhe cheapestbknw provides you with free LED bulbs for life and a cashback card which is the best on the market.

They fail to mention this, this to me is a sneer bit of joutrnalism.

Train driver is the answer , crazy money in relation to skill and knowledge. Getting the gig is the tricky part though

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Train driver is the answer , crazy money in relation to skill and knowledge. Getting the gig is the tricky part though
    Know a guy who dose this with freight trains. He's got some dough..

I've contracted at arriva before now and people do it through promotion.. start off as a guard etc and keep applying for in house promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Great money but crap shift times and has to be one of the most boring jobs.