+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programme on drinking at rugby

Programme on drinking at rugby

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-0...by-match-days/

Some interesting comments from the police.

Supt Morgan believes Welsh rugby fans cause more problem for British Transport Police officers than football fans.

Mr Thomas now feels it is time for the Welsh Rugby Union to adopt practices used at football stadiums, which ban fans from drinking alcohol in their seats.

Programme available on catch up for anyone interested.

Re: Programme on drinking at rugby

61% increase in domestic violence during Six nations

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

Supt Morgan believes Welsh rugby fans cause more problem for British Transport Police officers than football fans.

Mr Thomas now feels it is time for the Welsh Rugby Union to adopt practices used at football stadiums, which ban fans from drinking alcohol in their seats.

When ever you get a lot of people together and add alcohol you will get trouble. At rugby internationals you get 74,000 people in the ground and the day trippers that just spend the day in Cardiff to watch it in the pub. You will always get trouble on these days.

What you have with the WRU is the constantly selling overpriced booze all game in the stadium is a money spinner, and if they restricted it like football to not drinking in view of the pitch, it will put some fans off going.

The plus side is if they restricted drinking would it would encourage more actual rugby fans to the games, and more families. However the people who wanted to drink all day would still come to Cardiff to watch it in a pub and there would still be carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    When ever you get a lot of people together and add alcohol you will get trouble. At rugby internationals you get 74,000 people in the ground and the day trippers that just spend the day in Cardiff to watch it in the pub. You will always get trouble on these days.

What you have with the WRU is the constantly selling overpriced booze all game in the stadium is a money spinner, and if they restricted it like football to not drinking in view of the pitch, it will put some fans off going.

The plus side is if they restricted drinking would it would encourage more actual rugby fans to the games, and more families. However the people who wanted to drink all day would still come to Cardiff to watch it in a pub and there would still be carnage.
    I'm not sure the 61% spike in domestic violence occurs in and around the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I'm not sure the 61% spike in domestic violence occurs in and around the ground.
    There is a spike in domestic violence after most major sporting events its not exclusive to rugby internationals.

If you look into domestic violence you usually see a correlation between alcohol abuse and instances of domestic violence. Then of course when you have a day where males spend all day drinking then you will see a spike.

There is a spike in domestic violence after most major sporting events its not exclusive to rugby internationals.

If you look into domestic violence you usually see a correlation between alcohol abuse and instances of domestic violence. Then of course when you have a day where MALES spend all day drinking then you will see a spike.
    Why only males, women can be vicious in drink as well you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why only males, women can be vicious in drink as well you know.
    Yes but sporting events are attended mainly by Males. Domestic violence is a complex and effects both genders, however the spikes that occur after sporting events is mainly male dominated.

Yes but sporting events are attended mainly by Males. Domestic violence is a complex and effects both genders, however the spikes that occur after sporting events is mainly male dominated.
    What utter bollocks, have you seen the White Elephant on event days (that' what they are), Town is filled with cowboy wearing hat fillies.

What utter bollocks, have you seen the White Elephant on event days (that' what they are), Town is filled with cowboy wearing hat fillies.
    Female attendance is increasing all the time, however it still is in the small numbers compared to males, how many women on average do you have on your buses.

Female attendance is increasing all the time, however it still is in the small numbers compared to males, how many women on average do you have on your buses.
    Don't do busses, we take a coach.

Look, there are more fish in the sea than sharks, it don't make the sharks less dangerous.

Women are lethal in drink. ! If a pi$$ed up woman goes to hit you, or throws a drink over you, you are knackered, as you can't strike back.

They’ll somehow manage to blame it on football fans

Don't do busses, we take a coach.

Look, there are more fish in the sea than sharks, it don't make the sharks less dangerous.

Women are lethal in drink. ! If a pi$$ed up woman goes to hit you, or throws a drink over you, you are knackered, as you can't strike back.
    Yes i fully agree.

Yet all figures put female attendance in sport at between 15-25%. So if we are talking about spikes in abuse after sporting events. Then those sporting events in the majority are attended by Males.

If you look into domestic violence you usually see a correlation between alcohol abuse and instances of domestic violence. Then of course when you have a day where males spend all day drinking then you will see a spike.
    I'd be interested to see the figures for Wales football matches.

Yes i fully agree.

Yet all figures put female attendance in sport at between 15-25%. So if we are talking about spikes in abuse after sporting events. Then those sporting events in the majority are attended by Males.
    We're not talking about a spike in "sporting events" we're talking about a spike during a particular sporting event.

We're not talking about a spike in "sporting events" we're talking about a spike during a particular sporting event.
    There is just as much of an issue with domestic violence amongst football fans and rugby fans, I don't know why some people want to paint it as rugby's problem on here.

Glasgow police see a huge spike in domestic violence after old firm games.
    There is a massive spike around Christmas across the UK.

It is a drinking issue, not a rugby issue.

Yes, but there are familiar spikes at football derbies for example. Which suggests that this inst a rugby only issue.

When people talk about drinkng at rugby i sometimes wonder if they have ever been to a Cardiff City match.

Yes, but there are familiar spikes at football derbies for example. Which suggests that this inst a rugby only issue.

When people talk about drinkng at rugby i sometimes wonder if they have ever been to a Cardiff City match.
    Really?

That must be why there have been high profile campaigns against domestic violence during football tournaments then.

I've no doubt football fans are involved in domestic violence but the degreee is clearly far higher amongst eggers or campaigns wouldn't have been deemed necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Really?

That must be why there have been high profile campaigns against domestic violence during football tournaments then.

I've no doubt football fans are involved in domestic violence but the degreee is clearly far higher amongst eggers or campaigns wouldn't have been deemed necessary.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/388428...erbies-police/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18379093

Its a social and domestic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Really?

The only reason it would be higher profile here is the scale and regularity of these big events is so much higher than anything similar for football in south Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

I went to cardiff on Saturday with my wife and two kids and their partners. I met up with other family and friends so at some points there were up to 20 of us. We were in the same pub all day from midday until 10pm when we left for the train to neath. My kids and their partners went to the game and met us back at the pub later.

Didn't see carnage however 3 people ejected from the pub as they tried to pick a fight with other groups - they weren't rugby fans as I was talking to them earlier in the evening - they were just angry 30 year old men

The train home was a three carriage standing only arriva train and not ahint if trouble where I was

On getting back to neath I waited for 40 minutes for a taxi and witnessed two fights for queue jumping in which one idiot slapped his partner as she was trying to get him into the taxi.

Maybe rugby was the reason they were out but the cause was just pissed up blokes being bellends basically

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There is just as much of an issue with domestic violence amongst football fans and rugby fans, I don't know why some people want to paint it as rugby's problem on here.

Glasgow police see a huge spike in domestic violence after old firm games.
    There is a massive spike around Christmas across the UK.

It is a drinking issue, not a rugby issue.
    Yes it is a drinking issue, but usually people think it only affects soccer, when we know that these big rugby internationals in Cardiff are boozy parties which have so far escaped public scrutiny. So it's only fair to point the finger at rugby as well.

Stewards at soccer matches can and do refuse entry to heavily-drunk individuals. Do they do the same at the big rugby games? And there's no alcohol on the terraces.

Time for rugby to take a look at itself....

The weird thing, is looking back as a child I just thought it was normal. Grown ups getting off their heads on match days and puking in the street. There never seemed to be any outrage. It was just accepted. Yet if people wore ripped jeans everyone freaked out.

Difference is no one goes to CCS itself to get pissed.

Let’s be fair here. Any man who raises their hands to a woman is lower than a snakes belly, and any woman who puts up with it continually is a mug.