+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: SKY question...

SKY question...

My son lives in a three storey apartment block, when it was built a few years ago the council insisted on just one SKY dish for all apartments. The upshot of this is that although he has a SKY+ box, he can only record one programme at a time and then cannot watch another channel while doing so and has to turn off the TV during the recording.
    Can anyone suggest any way around this please? (Moving is not an option at the moment).
    Thanks...

Re: SKY question...

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    My son lives in a three storey apartment block, when it was built a few years ago the council insisted on just one SKY dish for all apartments. The upshot of this is that although he has a SKY+ box, he can only record one programme at a time and then cannot watch another channel while doing so and has to turn off the TV during the recording.
    Can anyone suggest any way around this please? (Moving is not an option at the moment).
    Thanks...
    Sounds like a faulty box rather than a dish problem. Get him to ring Sky and explain the issue.

Is the cable coming into the property and into the sky box a twin feed? Council did the same with us and we had no problems after switching dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc2018 View Post
    Is the cable coming into the property and into the sky box a twin feed? Council did the same with us and we had no problems after switching dishes.
    This - in order to watch / record 2 programmes there must be two leads coming in - one for each.
    You could of course get a sky HD box and then he could download or watch boxsets / catchup TV over wifi.
    Sky are moving to a wifi only - no dish system at some point so it'll all be sorted then - although they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for the box.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Thanks...
    sounds like they all share the Dish thus not enough LNB's to go around (a fairly common issue )

each Sky feed to his box will need its own LNB ( so sky plus needs 2, one to record each channel )

the options are

1. get another Sky dish installed and hope the council does not spot it ( go with a independent installed for the dish )
    2. Install another Dish in the garden area ( council might not see it / bother as its down low and out of sight )
    3. check the sky dish, most have 4 ( quad LNB ) other dishes can have 8 ( Octo lnb )
    4. ask a installer to install a Multi lnb bar and then you can have 16 LNB's ( enough to have 2 feeds each maybe ? ? ? )

Ditch Sky and go with cable ( if in area ) or Nowtv ( via broadband )

I had this problem when I lived in an apartment building, I’m not sure why but every apartment only had one feed in cable so you couldn’t record another channel. Not a lot you can do about it but they should have said when they installed it.

Have heard about this but why will the council only allow one dish if the tenants pay for there own....or am I missing something

I would speak to Sky. They might be able to install a different dish to take more lnbs.