+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin 'will use World Cup like Hitler's Olympics', agrees Johnson

Putin 'will use World Cup like Hitler's Olympics', agrees Johnson

I'm glad we failed to qualify, I don't want Wales to be an accessory to mass genocide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43487948

Re: Putin 'will use World Cup like Hitler's Olympics', agrees Johnson

Agree with you and Johnson

Wasn't he supporting a labour MP view

Speaking at the Commons committee hearing, Mr Austin said: "The idea of Putin handing over the World Cup to the captain of the winning team; the idea of Putin using this as a PR exercise to gloss over the brutal, corrupt regime for which he is responsible; it fills me with horror," he said.

Mr Johnson could be heard saying, "I'm afraid that's completely right, completely right", during Mr Austin's comments.

The foreign secretary then added: "Your characterisation of what is going to happen in Moscow in the World Cup, in all the venues, yes, I think the comparison with 1936 is certainly right.

"I think it is an emetic prospect frankly to think of Putin glorying in this sporting event."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Agree with you and Johnson
    The man who took money from a Russian oligarch to play tennis with his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    The man who took money from a Russian oligarch to play tennis with his wife?
    A Putin confidante to boot!

Considering hundreds of thousands of Russians lost their lives fighting Hitler and the Nazis, it is a crass and unacceptable comment typical of the sort he is capable of, under the guise of him being a complete imbicile.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Considering hundreds of thousands of Russians lost their lives fighting Hitler and the Nazis, it is a crass and unacceptable comment typical of the sort he is capable of, under the guise of him being a complete imbicile.
    The Russian ambassador reckons 25 million Russians died fighting the nazis'

A terrible comment by Boris

Boris is an utter tool and I thought his comments were disgusting does the man not have a single brain cell to use before he opens his fat gob

Hopefully he’s next on Putins hit list

As Blue Army has mentioned it was millions that lost their lives fighting the Nazis. Still there are too many who think Churchill win the war.

Be great if we could go to the alternative, similar to the Olimpíada Popular that was organised in 1936 in Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hopefully he’s next on Putins hit list
    With a bit of luck

International

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    The Russian ambassador reckons 25 million Russians died fighting the nazis'
    The official figure is about 20 million.
    What the ambassador conveniently forgot to mention is that after the war Stalin had over 20 million more killed himself. Russian leaders have previous for killing their own

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The official figure is about 20 million.
    What the ambassador conveniently forgot to mention is that after the war Stalin had over 20 million more killed himself. Russian leaders have previous for killing their own
    A similar figure to those killed by the British Empire in the 5 instances listed here https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a6821756.html

And I’m sure Britain was responsible for many millions more. And the French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Belgian, Mongol, Ottoman, Han Chinese and Roman empires too. Empires tend to be very bloody affairs.

Ladies and gentleman, our Foreign Secretary....

I do wonder though (and I'm no fan of the blonde numbskull ) how many folk do actually think what he said has a ring of truth about it.

Putin does seem to be a politician that deploys narcissist images of himself, in judo outfits, hunting , bare chested poses, holding a rifle ,all a bit worrying really for an ageing leader of a large country , what is the real message??

He's an idiot. How he gets a gig like that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Be great if we could go to the alternative, similar to the Olimpíada Popular that was organised in 1936 in Barcelona.
    Ironic that it never took place because of Fascist uprising.

England players giving the Nazi salute 1938............

Johnson should keep his mouth shut he is an imbecile

Doesn't every host country use national events to show off their strength?
    We were the same in 2012.

One hundred thousand ordinary german solders surrendered to the russians under the geneva convention in one battle alone yet only about 5000 returned after hostilities ended.Work that one out Mr Quoteoutofcontext.

Though I agree with the comments about Boris the russians were just as bad as the germans but they were on our side so thats ok

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Ironic that it never took place because of Fascist uprising.
    A lot stuck around for the craic and got stuck in. Some interesting personal stories of some of the athletes who came and stayed.

Who said sports and politics shouldn't mix, international sports are just that.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wasn't he supporting a labour MP view

Speaking at the Commons committee hearing, Mr Austin said: "The idea of Putin handing over the World Cup to the captain of the winning team; the idea of Putin using this as a PR exercise to gloss over the brutal, corrupt regime for which he is responsible; it fills me with horror," he said.

Mr Johnson could be heard saying, "I'm afraid that's completely right, completely right", during Mr Austin's comments.

The foreign secretary then added: "Your characterisation of what is going to happen in Moscow in the World Cup, in all the venues, yes, I think the comparison with 1936 is certainly right.

"I think it is an emetic prospect frankly to think of Putin glorying in this sporting event."

Indeed he was supporting a view. That's not as newsworthy though.

You'd have to be an absolute idiot to claim Putin won't use the WC for propaganda purposes.

Nearly 60 years on from the so called 'Cuba missile ' crisis, and we're still waiting for the Russian threat to materialise.

On the subject of Johnson's comments, what did he say regarding the Chinese olympics ?