+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: VT to personally reimburse all officially organised supporter coach travel to Derby

Re: VT to personally reimburse all officially organised supporter coach travel to Derby

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I had the day off on Friday, but I was up early doing a bit of stats work for my section of the office. To break the monotony, I had a quick look at this board, as I often do if I'm at home working on my PC. I read through Penarth Blues' thread as I regard him as one of the few decent contributors left on this or any other CCFC message board. Lo and behold, good old Cleve van Leef had mentioned me in his post (which has since been heavily edited, I note). I responded to that message and have subsequently responded to the responses. It's no more complicated than that.

Reimbursing the official coaches for their aborted trip to Derby is indeed an admirable act, although I'm sure we all have our own opinions as regards the responsibilities, logistics and motivations behind it.

Yes, it's hard to believe a billionaire philanthropist who's given away half his fortune to charity would ever do something without ulterior motives isn't it.. Actually no, not at all.

FORBES INSIGHTS: What first inspired you to give? Why do you continue to give?

Vincent Tan: I started life in a poor family and could not even afford a proper tertiary education. I know what it is like not to have a lot of things that the average person these days will take for granted. I therefore consider myself very blessed to be where I am today despite the difficult early days, and ever since I achieved financial success I have felt a sense of responsibility to help those who are less fortunate. Furthermore, it is my belief that all our wealth and material possessions belong to God and we are merely His stewards, and for this reason I have always felt compelled to use my resources for the benefit of others as well.

FORBES INSIGHTS: What are the causes you support? Are they local or global? Has that changed over time?

Vincent Tan: The main causes I support include community causes (provide aid for the poor, children, elderly folks), health causes (provide support and financial aid for treatment of diseases like AIDS, kidney ailments, cancer, free acupuncture centre), education (providing scholarships for education, and free education for underprivileged children and youth), environmental preservation (protection and preservation of coral growth), support and promotion of local performing arts, and humanitarian assistance for disaster relief.

My current favourite cause is to help improve the standard of English in Malaysia. The English language is of great importance as a medium of education and communication, particularly in today’s world, and I find the declining standards in the English language in Malaysia in recent years to be a cause for concern. We are presently working with this organization called SOLS 24/7 to set up community learning centres in several parts of Malaysia to offer free education, with an emphasis on the English language, to underprivileged youths.

The causes I support are mainly local with some financial assistance on a few occasions for international disaster relief.

I started from simple cases of providing financial aid to the poor to where we are today.

FORBES INSIGHTS: How has your giving changed over time? From amount of giving to types of vehicles used?

Vincent Tan: As mentioned, I started with simple cases of providing financial aid to the poor, particularly in cases where funds are needed for medical treatment. The causes have grown to the extent that is mention in Para 2 above. I started off with making personal donations and eventually set up my own foundation, VTCY Foundation, now known as Better Malaysia Foundation. My contributions are also made through companies that I own.

There's another three pages of that. Why can't you admit he is actually an incredibly decent bloke that made a mistake with the best of intentions and has apologised and atoned for it.? Regardless of your bitterness, you're doing the man a massive disservice by painting him as you do.

Re: VT to personally reimburse all officially organised supporter coach travel to Derby

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Anyway, I’ll let you have the final word on the matter. I know it means the world to you.
    I have an image in my head from the film Forbidden Planet.

I detested the rebrand as much as anyone
    With all due respect, I somehow doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Why can't you admit he is actually an incredibly decent bloke that made a mistake with the best of intentions and has apologised and atoned for it.?
    Basically, it's because I don't believe he's an incredibly decent bloke who made a mistake with the best of intentions and has apologised and atoned for it. Indeed, there's not a single element of that sentence I agree with. But if you do, then fair enough. It's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Doesn't have to be some sinister motive behind it does there.
    I haven't seen anyone claiming there is.

Well, In my opinion, that reveals a lot more about your nature than it does Vincent Tans.

Well, In my opinion, that reveals a lot more about your nature than it does Vincent Tans.
    Fair enough.

Personally, I base my views on the man largely on the observations of people I know and trust who have had the pleasure (or otherwise) of dealing with him face to face, and also on his public words and actions in relation to Cardiff City and its fanbase during the rebrand era, most of which seem to have been conveniently forgotten by many people.

As for this mistake which he made with the best of intentions and has since apologised for, can you provide any links to reports featuring that apology? I must have missed it, but I'd sure like to read it.

The reversal was a tacit apology.

In your mind, perhaps.

The reversal, season ticket prices, the hiring and backing of Neil Warnock, continued investment and likely promotion to the premier league is atonement.

The reversal, season ticket prices, the hiring and backing of Neil Warnock, continued investment and likely promotion to the premier league is atonement.
    In your mind, perhaps.

Don't think you'll ever see reason on this and of course you're more than entitled to your opinions but I would urge you to get a better understanding of the man and his motives, might lessen some of the hate you harbour.. harbouring hate is not good for you on any level.

Now this discussion is limping to an end why don't we all get together, cast aside our petty differences and celebrate all that is good with the world and CCFC with a little sing-along.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1gc8CdT-ds

Fair enough.

Personally, I base my views on the man largely on the observations of people I know and trust who have had the pleasure (or otherwise) of dealing with him face to face, and also on his public words and actions in relation to Cardiff City and its fanbase during the rebrand era, most of which seem to have been conveniently forgotten by many people.

As for this mistake which he made with the best of intentions and has since apologised for, can you provide any links to reports featuring that apology? I must have missed it, but I'd sure like to read it.
    Conveniently forgotten? Perhaps a case of most people moving on? Most don't care enough to turn into a martyr to the 'cause.' Anytime there's something positive to be said about VT, you post something negative. #obsessed

of course you're more than entitled to your opinions
    That's very gracious of you.

As for a little sing-along, hopefully we can resurrect this beauty in a few weeks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVKirKOMX1E

That's very gracious of you.

As for a little sing-along, hopefully we can resurrect this beauty in a few weeks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVKirKOMX1E
    That's the spirit!!

With all due respect, I somehow doubt that.

Can’t let you have that little dig as the last word lol!
    Do you think you have the monopoly on detesting the rebrand just because you had a hissy fit and stopped going (sometimes)?
    I’m Cardiff born and bred, and have supported the City longer than you.
    I too detested what Tan did, but kept going, but refused to buy anything or recognise anything remotely connected with the rebrand.
    We are now back in blue for whatever reason Tan decided, and as far as I’m concerned it’s business as usual.
    When you and I are long gone, future fans will read up on that part of our history and make of it what they will, just as our generation did when we looked up why we changed to blue from our original colours.
    Over to you 👍
    Last edited by William Treseder; 25-03-18 at 16:00. Reason: Spelling

Do you think you have the monopoly on detesting the rebrand just because you had a hissy fit and stopped going (sometimes)?
    Oh no, not by any means. I know people who undoubtedly hated the rebrand even more than me. But you said you detested it as much as anyone. Personally, I don't think anyone who continued to support the rebranded club and celebrate its successes could logically make such a claim.

Oh no, not by any means. I know people who undoubtedly hated the rebrand even more than me. But you said you detested it as much as anyone. Personally, I don't think anyone who continued to support the rebranded club and celebrate its successes could logically make such a claim.
    Ok. I’ll leave it to you to decide on what scale most of us detested the rebrand. Enjoy the next game you force yourself to go to. 👍

He used his mother to save his face. How pathetic is that?

Ok. I’ll leave it to you to decide on what scale most of us detested the rebrand. Enjoy the next game you force yourself to go to. 👍
    I reckon that those who went to the game against Huddersfield at the start of the 2012/13 campaign but walked out at half time because they couldn't stand it or those who walked away from the scarfgate game against Brighton and have never been back since probably detested the red period a shade more than those of you who stuck with Tan's Dragons, but that's just a guess.

As for my next game, that may be while away as I've turned down a couple of offers of free tickets for Friday's match. Having been present at both of last season's games against Burton, I just didn't fancy it. I'm sure you'll understand that if you saw either or both of them. I'll definitely watch a couple of the remaining TV games, though.

In reply to BIS:

'My mother, Madam Low Siew Beng, a devout Buddhist, spoke to me on the importance of togetherness, unity and happiness. Cardiff City is important to me and I wish to see it united and happy'.

Takes humility to reveal your mum has put you in your place.

‘I asked my chairman, Mehmet Dalman and CEO, Ken Choo, for their advice and to consult with a good cross-section of the fan base'.

Takes humility to admit you might you might have been wrong and to seek the advice of others, particularly when some of those others have been levelling extreme abuse at you.

It would have been pathetic to have continued in spite of all this with the rebrand and put the future of the club in jeopardy by purposefully asset stripping or letting the club wither..

Nothing wrong with saving a bit of face when the outcome is a reasonable conclusion to matters where everyone's a winner.. wouldn't expect you to understand much of this as you seem very unfamiliar with the principles of humility and conflict resolution. Vincent Tan makes mistakes, don't we all? He has somewhat of an ego and his fashion sense is diabolical, but to call him pathetic is to show true ignorance.
    Last edited by Freitag 4.17; 25-03-18 at 17:43. Reason: To show whom I'm replying to.

In reply to BIS:

'My mother, Madam Low Siew Beng, a devout Buddhist, spoke to me on the importance of togetherness, unity and happiness. Cardiff City is important to me and I wish to see it united and happy'.

Takes humility to reveal your mum has put you in your place.

‘I asked my chairman, Mehmet Dalman and CEO, Ken Choo, for their advice and to consult with a good cross-section of the fan base'.

Takes humility to admit you might you might have been wrong and to seek the advice of others, particularly when some of those others have been levelling extreme abuse at you.

It would have been pathetic to have continued in spite of all this with the rebrand and put the future of the club in jeopardy by purposefully asset stripping or letting the club wither..

Nothing wrong with saving a bit of face when the outcome is a reasonable conclusion to matters where everyone's a winner.. wouldn't expect you to understand much of this as you seem very unfamiliar with the principles of humility and conflict resolution. Vincent Tan makes mistakes, don't we all? He has somewhat of an ego and his fashion sense is diabolical, but to call him pathetic is to show true ignorance.
    For you humility is never saying sorry and bringing your mum along when you tidy up any mess you've made.

I reckon that those who went to the game against Huddersfield at the start of the 2012/13 campaign but walked out at half time because they couldn't stand it or those who walked away from the scarfgate game against Brighton and have never been back since probably detested the red period a shade more than those of you who stuck with Tan's Dragons, but that's just a guess.

As for my next game, that may be while away as I've turned down a couple of offers of free tickets for Friday's match. Having been present at both of last season's games against Burton, I just didn't fancy it. I'm sure you'll understand that if you saw either or both of them. I'll definitely watch a couple of the remaining TV games, though.
    👍

Dave has his opinion I personally don't feel the same but we should all respect the choice he made as it must've been difficult for him to give up deep down

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    For you humility is never saying sorry and bringing your mum along when you tidy up any mess you've made.
    If you can't see certain words and actions as a tacit apology then you clearly struggle with critical thinking and nuance. Life is not black and white, childish absolutes where the only satisfactory outcome is that your every personally perceived slight is assuaged.