+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question time- Cambridge Analytica

Question time- Cambridge Analytica

First question tonight about FB and the scandal of all members personal information being “stolen”.
    What a load of codswallop!!
    The governments of this country have had all the information they want about us since the day we were born.
    We all have a birth certificate, we all have a national insurance no, we all have to fill in a form revealing everything about us when we apply for a passport, register at a doctors surgery, register at a dentists etc.
    Finding out we’re eating a Big Mac at a McDonalds in Cardiff, or we don’t believe in god, or what kind of music we like, or we like a video downloaded about some drunk falling down a manhole, is not gonna make an iota of a difference to any of us!

Re: Question time- Cambridge Analytica

I think you are a bit behind the times regarding the latest developments in AI. They don't only collect trivial data, they run advanced algorithms on everything you type, everything you see, everybody who you interact with, track your location, etc.. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear hey?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think you are a bit behind the times regarding the latest developments in AI. They don't only collect trivial data, they run advanced algorithms on everything you type, everything you see, everybody who you interact with, track your location, etc.. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear hey?
    Tell me what your worried about?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Tell me what your worried about?
    It's all well and good if you are a nobody, but the moment you want to be a somebody, then things might not all go according to plan

It's all well and good if you are a nobody, but the moment you want to be a somebody, then things might not all go according to plan
    Life has always been more enjoyable and fulfilling when your a nobody 👍

Life has always been more enjoyable and fulfilling when your a nobody ��
    To effect change a nobody has to become a somebody, even if it isn't you. The success of the establishment has always been down to having gatekeepers in the all right places, but yeah, beer, burgers & footie may be a better way to live ones life

I thought it was well-known that Facebook sold information?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What information? Contents of private messages?

Well, the information that people have put on Facebook

Did people genuinely think they could entrust a massive corporation with private information?

Blog Entries

https://privnote.com/

Anyway, getting back to CA, I've yet to see anybody do a deep dive on what it is they actually do, and who is behind them. We've been given a selective snapshot by Ch4 News, but I think this story still has a long way to run.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Doesnt Google watch your behavour and harvest that, of course it does , just watch the message board after you looked at a holiday or an item , you get pop ups of the very same , its here and living with us, m e I dont care ,if it disturbs one, guess it's best to put the devices away ,shut down social network accounts , start writing letters , hopefully generate new postie jobs .

Cash. Use it whenever I can. The road to a cashless society is well on it's way with Hammond's attempts to ban 'cash-in-hand' transactions. The bloke who cuts your hedge, the lady who takes in washing for her elderly neighbour, and so on.

Insidious, creepy, and for those who say 'I've nothing to hide, it doesn't bother me', well for me, it's none of their f****ng business..

First question tonight about FB and the scandal of all members personal information being “stolen”.
    The governments of this country have had all the information they want about us since the day we were born.
    We all have a birth certificate, we all have a national insurance no, we all have to fill in a form revealing everything about us when we apply for a passport, register at a doctors surgery, register at a dentists etc.
    Finding out we’re eating a Big Mac at a McDonalds in Cardiff, or we don’t believe in god, or what kind of music we like, or we like a video downloaded about some drunk falling down a manhole, is not gonna make an iota of a difference to any of us!
    You left out Tesco/Sainsbury loyalty cards.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's the equivalent to someone rummaging through your dustbins.

As I posted on here years ago (but which was dismissed by some very naive posters) it is inevitable that people's Facebook history will be hacked - and children born in this Facebook era will find that their life from the cradle to adulthood will be available to unknown parties. Mainly thanks to their parents' postings and their own lack of awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As I posted on here years ago (but which was dismissed by some very naive posters) it is inevitable that people's Facebook history will be hacked - and children born in this Facebook era will find that their life from the cradle to adulthood will be available to unknown parties. Mainly thanks to their parents' postings and their own lack of awareness.
    Unfortunately that is true, and if you think there's nothing in your online browsing or postings across your life that could be used to embarrass or blackmail you then I'd suggest you've lived a very sheltered life. Just being on this site means that you are regularly faced with online content which might not look good taken out of context - especially some of the bloody pop-ups that automatically occur.

Identity cloning, online fraud, etc are all going to be massive growth areas unfortunately and will be fuelled by the fact that almost all of us have put enough information online for that to happen now. The most important question to ask at the moment is, if someone else turned up claiming to be you how could you officially prove that they weren't?

I’ve never seen such a big case of point missing in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Doesnt Google watch your behavour and harvest that, of course it does , just watch the message board after you looked at a holiday or an item , you get pop ups of the very same , its here and living with us, m e I dont care ,if it disturbs one, guess it's best to put the devices away ,shut down social network accounts , start writing letters , hopefully generate new postie jobs .
    Yes that's true but we give Google permission (maybe for some inadvertently) to do this.

What CA did was get permission from people to access their data on Facebook via a third party app. Through that, they then had access to some of their friend's data - people who didn't give permission.

It would be like a private company getting your medical records from a hospital, although you've never said they could have it.

And the fact they used the data to try and influence the votes of the more «*easily influenced*» people during elections.

Cambridge Analytica’s parent company is Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL Group). Board members include an array of Lords, Tory donors, ex-British army officers and defense contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I’ve never seen such a big case of point missing in my life.
    Explain how your life or my life will change now this has happened? It’s all bollox, and scaremongering at its best.

Explain how your life or my life will change now this has happened? It’s all bollox, and scaremongering at its best.
    The SCL Group appear to be changing peoples lives on a daily basis.

The SCL Group appear to be changing peoples lives on a daily basis.
    Governments have been able to change people’s lives on a daily basis since governments were first formed. It’s nothing new startling or new.
    TBG trying to make out he’s some sort of George Orwell or Nostradamus. Lol!
    Even the dullest of the dull must realise every text, email, tweet etc can never be fully erased?