+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: USA Tipping system

USA Tipping system

Random observation,

I recently spent 3 months working in Boston, USA. I would go to my local bar most evenings and quickly caught on to the unwritten law that you tip the bar staff $1 with every pint (drink).

Now the argument is you got to tip the Staff because the minimum wage is only like $3, however over the course of an hour he would serve 100-200 drinks on average, taking into account he was often tipped more than $1 and NEVER not tipped.

This would mean his wage was around $200 on hour! Surely there is some catch servers and waiters in USA cannot be making this much otherwise everyone would be doing it, but I cannot see the catch he pocketed all this in cash.

Re: USA Tipping system

How much was it for a beer?

I was paying $4 for a pint of down east cider ($5 with tip)

That Is crazy money being touted in that article, the $1000 tips a night in major cities rings true with what i experienced

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Random observation,

I recently spent 3 months working in Boston, USA. I would go to my local bar most evenings and quickly caught on to the unwritten law that you tip the bar staff $1 with every pint (drink).

Now the argument is you got to tip the Staff because the minimum wage is only like $3, however over the course of an hour he would serve 100-200 drinks on average, taking into account he was often tipped more than $1 and NEVER not tipped.

This would mean his wage was around $200 on hour! Surely there is some catch servers and waiters in USA cannot be making this much otherwise everyone would be doing it, but I cannot see the catch he pocketed all this in cash.
    USA tipping is a joke at times

I know at restaurants the tips are split with all the staff, the servers / waiters may get the tip, but they will split a % of it with washer-up, the guy at the door, the team who clear the tables after you leave etc etc

though saying that, i know a Disney Server who works at one of the top end disney restaurants who earned more than $ 200 K last year he has put 2 children through school and lives in a 6 bed house in orlando , thats from waiting on tables
    he loves the 20 - 22 % tipping at disney , the top end places are very in demand and you really do not want to lose the slot if you get it

I didnt believe him at first, till he said " do the maths " a average meal on a table of 4 is $250 in this place, he has 14 tables to attend, 20% of 250 = $50 thats $700 a hour, 10 hour shift ( he can do more ), 7 K a day, as i said, he gives a % of that to the other staff ( but do not forget that does not included what her earns as a wage, which is not well paid ) but is adamant he earned over $200 K last year

After reading that, if I go to the US I'll make sarnies and buy beer in shops!

Did the Disney server really say "do the maths"?

Yep had the same experience put me off NYC forever we paid out hundreds of dollars in tips , one diner had a list of tips to pay starting from 38 dollars for a meal for 6 people, I was paying 8 dollars upwards for a beer In our hotel , barman just kept my change from a 10 dollar , I snapped badly and challenged him he smirked and said i'm only on 5 dollars an hour I then explained he was earning more than me with his dollar a drink tip , and was easily on 500 a night ,argument ramped up then , his manager came in whom I suggested too he should pay his staff a decent wage, and the barman needs a union , I have to say I don't be going back to greedy NYC. Didn't find Boston or Mystic as greedy or pushy/rude as NYC's, bars and restaraunts

And the reason why

""" YES! We are taxed on our tips. Actually, we are taxed on our sales rather than our actual tips.

Let me explain. On a busy lunch shift at a diner you might sell $1000 worth of food and beverages. That's your total sales.

Out of that $1000, the government will take 8% out of our paychecks. So come payday my check will be $80 less than my minimum wage for that day. They are assuming that we will earn on average about 15–20% in tips.

We also share the tips with the rest of the people that work in the restaurant. For example, 20% of our total tips to the bussers, 10% to the bar, 10% to the runner. So if we get stiffed we actually lose money and are paying the rest of the team out of our own pockets.""

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    USA tipping is a joke at times

I know at restaurants the tips are split with all the staff, the servers / waiters may get the tip, but they will split a % of it with washer-up, the guy at the door, the team who clear the tables after you leave etc etc

though saying that, i know a Disney Server who works at one of the top end disney restaurants who earned more than $ 200 K last year he has put 2 children through school and lives in a 6 bed house in orlando , thats from waiting on tables
    he loves the 20 - 22 % tipping at disney , the top end places are very in demand and you really do not want to lose the slot if you get it

I didnt believe him at first, till he said " do the maths " a average meal on a table of 4 is $250 in this place, he has 14 tables to attend, 20% of 250 = $50 thats $700 a hour, 10 hour shift ( he can do more ), 7 K a day, as i said, he gives a % of that to the other staff ( but do not forget that does not included what her earns as a wage, which is not well paid ) but is adamant he earned over $200 K last year
    Disneyland Matt? This is a revelation, what’s it like ?

Can we ban Matt from mentioning Disney and swimming please?

Edit... unless directly asked..

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

In my opinion the Canadians are worse
    My experience in Toronto and Montreal is
    The waiters will ask you for more money if they think you haven’t tipped them enough
    It’s like being mugged kind of

I’m going to America (NYC) for the first time in May - is there anyway of getting round getting ripped off?

How many places take credit card?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m going to America (NYC) for the first time in May - is there anyway of getting round getting ripped off?

I'm sure you can choose not to tip if it bothers you that much.. probably just frowned upon..doubt you'll get arrested for it.

As for credit cards..you know places in the UK have it on their system to ask if you want to tip.. Even shit places like frankie and bennys do it..

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Did the Disney server really say "do the maths"?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Disneyland Matt? This is a revelation, what’s it like ?
    DisneyWORLD as well you know Jimmy you cheeky scamp you

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Can we ban Matt from mentioning Disney and swimming please?

Edit... unless directly asked..
    Nope

though in my defence, this was a discussion about Tips in the USA, so was my post

Its a large part of my life, I spend 3 months planning it, then do it, then 9 months paying for it

everywhere will take a credit card, but they will still want the tip, you either have to embrace it and accept its the way, or you dont and you dont tip and forget about getting good service in that place

Yes

DisneyWORLD as well you know Jimmy you cheeky scamp you

Nope

though in my defence, this was a discussion about Tips in the USA, so was my post

Its a large part of my life, I spend 3 months planning it, then do it, then 9 months paying for it
    I'll go over your head to Mike don't worry

I'm guessing you know I'm joking, though the reply suggests maybe you don't (being sort of defensive)

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'll go over your head to Mike don't worry

I'm guessing you know I'm joking, though the reply suggests maybe you don't (being sort of defensive)
    I knew you were joking dude , I thought i would act serious and that would make you think i hadnt seen the joke, which slightly entertained me

I knew you were joking dude , I thought i would act serious and that would make you think i hadnt seen the joke, which slightly entertained me
    I thought you may be trying a guilt trip

No way out , I used a debit card for a 300 dollar meal for 7 people, the bill came and I had to select a % value for a tip the cheapest was 38 dollars rising upwards to 58 dollars tip , I tried to reduce it by ignoring the lower value and wrote in 10 dollars they charged me 38 and madd me feel awful in front of the family so I took the hit to avoid me blowing another tipping fuse.

The best way around this is to eat away from sit downs restaurants high end pubs , pay exact money , eat in the many excellent walk in canteen type eateries ,the food in them is excellent .

Be aware though new York is crazy money expect to pay upwards of 8 dollars a pint so 5.50p to 6.50p a pint , dontbwantbto tell you how much wines an sprits were for the ladies , just to say was a sobering experince, Ssome high end places it was nearer 10 .
    I invested in a good old flask topped it up with fruit juices hey no pissed when shopping .

Went to Rome recently wow what a better city , much cheaper to eat and drink , friendlier , so much history ,up there with my favourite city Berlin .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No way out , I used a debit card for a 300 dollar meal for 7 people, the bill came and I had to select a % value for a tip the cheapest was 38 dollars rising upwards to 58 dollars tip , I tried to reduce it by ignoring the lower value and wrote in 10 dollars they charged me 38 and madd me feel awful in front of the family so I took the hit to avoid me blowing another tipping fuse.

The best way around this is to eat away from sit downs restaurants high end pubs , pay exact money , eat in the many excellent walk in canteen type eateries ,the food in them is excellent .

Be aware though new York is crazy money expect to pay upwards of 8 dollars a pint so 5.50p to 6.50p a pint , dontbwantbto tell you how much wines an sprits were for the ladies , just to say was a sobering experince, Ssome high end places it was nearer 10 .
    I invested in a good old flask topped it up with fruit juices hey no pissed when shopping .

Went to Rome recently wow what a better city , much cheaper to eat and drink , friendlier , so much history ,up there with my favourite city Berlin .
    Buying wine was a sobering experience?