+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bradford City... awful run, but great support.

Re: Bradford City... awful run, but great support.

Bradford is a Metropolitan District Council formed in 1974 through the merger of 11 councils - the largest being the City of Bradford.

It includes Ilkley, Shipley, Keighley, Wharfedale and a lot of other places. Bradford itself makes up less than half the population.

It may be a one club city as far as football goes, but it is different for Rugby League.

However, it is still a big place with a large and close catchment area - so attendances around the 20K mark, partly driven by low season ticket prices, are understandable as well as impressive.

Didn't Bradford RLFC go bust?

Feck it, why do I join in on some of these posts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Didn’t realise it was as you AA, thought you only posted on your own board.
    This may be just the start there will be posts about some crap pub team in Spain soon

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    That's the metro authority, which includes towns such as shipley
    Bradford is not bigger than Manchester ffs

I lived in Bradford for 10 years. My brother still lives there and he and his family are all ST holders at the Bantams. Very good deals for adults and kids. Bradford is part of the Leeds/Bradford conurbation of about 2 million. There is no gap between the two cities. The council area does cover a large area but only Ilkley and the villages of Burley/Addingham/Silsden/Steeton/Denholme/Harden/Wilsden/Cullingworth are not part of the conurbation. Shipley, Bingley, Keighley, Baildon and Saltaire are all part of the contiguous urban area.

Bradford has a beautiful city centre with many intact Victorian streetscapes. Most of the inner city is 19th century terraces occupied by ethnic minorities and further out there is a ring of mainly white council estates. The curry scene is fantastic and there was a lively music and clubbing scene when i lived there. Saltaire is like Pontcanna with knobs on and is a World Heritage site. Ilkley is a 20 minute train journey from the city centre (they have an electrified Metro) and is a beautiful, extremely affluent spa town with Rombalds moor looming above the Wharfe valley.

If you live in Baildon, Bingley, Heaton, Nab Wood or Saltaire you will have a great quality of life while living in the city and if you are rich then you can live in Ilkley or one of the villages to the north or west of Bradford.

A great city and a lovely place to live.

Here is a map of the West Yorkshire (Leeds/Bradford) congregation. Of course, Leeds dominates but Bradford has many charms despite the negative narrative.

1280px-2011_West_Yorkshire_Built-up_Area.svg.jpg
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West...ire_Urban_Area

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bradford is not bigger than Manchester ffs
    I know that, but according to the unitary authority measurement, it is.

Jon1959 has answered better than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I know that, but according to the unitary authority measurement, it is.

Jon1959 has answered better than I have.
    Manchester is the central city of a unipolar conurbation of 2.8 million. Bradford is the second city of a multipolar conurbation of 2 million. Bradford city's population including the suburbs/towns of Shipley, Baildon and Saltaire is about 400,000. People from Bingley and Keighley, although part of both Bradford Met district and the West Yorks conurbation, would not claim to be from Bradford as those towns retain a more distinct identity.

Were Bradford the sly ****ers in the 90s?

Adult tickets 169 quid under 11s are 19 quid.. juniors 99 and seniors 149.

****ing baffles me how so many go to watch them. Mental.

https://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/tic...eason-tickets/

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It has a pop of over 575000? I don’t think so.
    Heard they give away lots of ST though, or very cheap, they have a lot of STH.
    They have 18500 season ticket holders.
    No restriction on how many under 11 tickets one adult can buy either so probably tons of kids in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Didn’t realise it was as you AA, thought you only posted on your own board.
    To be fair to BIS he has intelligence. AA can't write a coherent sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You’re not

Board is great lately. Not sure what changed.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It makes perfect sense and should be adopted by more clubs to be honest
    Agreed. Clubs like Bayern do it, and I know it's been trotted out a million times but the chairman said something along the lines of "why charge more and gain an extra 2.5 million, it is an amount we haggle over in a transfer" and basically said fans come first.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bradford is a Metropolitan District Council formed in 1974 through the merger of 11 councils - the largest being the City of Bradford.

It includes Ilkley, Shipley, Keighley, Wharfedale and a lot of other places. Bradford itself makes up less than half the population.

It may be a one club city as far as football goes, but it is different for Rugby League.

However, it is still a big place with a large and close catchment area - so attendances around the 20K mark, partly driven by low season ticket prices, are understandable as well as impressive.
    My neighbour is from Bradford. He supports Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Impressive, but is there even anything else to do in Bradford? It's an absolute toilet.
    Great attendances for sure, but you're right. It's an absolute dump. There's certainly no Elite League winning Ice Hockey team, cricket teams and no top flight rugby union or league teams to compete with.

That's not to say we shouldn't be getting higher attendances however. We absolutely should.