+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Going for a Burton...

Going for a Burton...

Firstly....what's the origination of 'Gone for a Burton' - answer in a while and no looking it up on Google, I'm the only one allowed

Anyway, the main point of this is to ask for views on how best City go about beating Burton on Friday in the first of nine cup finals.

It won't be easy, we all know that...they're as much in need of the points as we are and have both Birmingham and Sunderland to play. They also have players, if motivated, who can play : Brayford and Ben Turner at the back and Sordell and Darren Bent up front.

Despite that, one point is all they'll realistically hope for; they'll come with a plan and look to frustrate the Bluebirds for 90 minutes - with 10 behind the ball, pack the midfield and allow no way through the middle.

Presumably we'll go with both wingers to exploit the wide areas and get early crosses in for Zohore and maybe Madine from the start? Any views?

Re: Going for a Burton...

We will do what we are good at. Keep it tight at the back , get it in the final 3rd quickly and attack from there.
    Get the 3 points thats all that matters.

I agree with you CB, it is a banana skin, we are all forecasting a win and yet it is game we could easily lose if we are overconfident = scary times

Anything can happen and any result is possible.
    Over confidence, mistimed tackle(s) in crucial area, rubbish officials, bad luck (for us), good luck (for them)...

It ain't gonna be easy watching, as games like Barnsley weren't.

Prepare for every game like we have done all season and hopefully we will be okay.

I think we should start Zohore and Madine

Could we expect a 25k crowd? 2nd in the league, bank holiday, chance to go 10 clear of villa......

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Could we expect a 25k crowd? 2nd in the league, bank holiday, chance to go 10 clear of villa......
    No chance.
    Lucky if we get 20k.

Wolves game looks like it could be a lot better though, strange as both involve the same club that the fans at the game support and the same 3 points are at stake.

The Wolves game will also probably be boosted by 2-3k extra away fans too.

Yep, we must take Burton as seriously as we will take Sheff Utd and Wolves next week. Burton will sit back, hope for a draw but try to nick a goal on the break.We are not always at our best against that sort of team.
    I dont think that we should alter our style. Madine will have to wait his turn. More interesting will be to see if Gunnar and Ralls are in the squad. I suspect they will be both on the bench.
    Not expecting a massive uptick in the crowd but hoping for 20k.

It's to do with an advertising campaign for Burton Ale from the 1940s(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Close on both counts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Correct Tom but there's a bit more - it seems that the ad campaign focused on an empty chair in a pub and the strap line was: "he's gone for a Burton" - as you say, Burton being a centre of brewing in the Midlands.

However, at the outbreak of WWII the saying was adopted among airmen to signify that a comrade was missing in action and probably had been killed.

Sinister

At home against a weaker opponent (I know anything can happen in this league and it's not a formality) I would like to see us go 2 up top and use Madine and Zohore. They play 5 at the back.. I don't see us "exploiting the wings"

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    No chance.
    Lucky if we get 20k.

Wolves game looks like it could be a lot better though, strange as both involve the same club that the fans at the game support and the same 3 points are at stake.

The Wolves game will also probably be boosted by 2-3k extra away fans too.
    Dml disagrees