+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff's "brand" of football.

Cardiff's "brand" of football.

I've been thinking about something Penarth said in the "Hello" thread and he said that this season has been one of the most satisfying even though we've played better football in years gone by.

I've supported the club since 1989 and I've got to admit that I've never really seen us play "better" football than this apart from when Routledge was on loan for a few games.

People rave about the Dave Jones years but we set up quite similar to how we do now but with a lot less "streetwise".

The other thing I will say about the Dave Jones days was that our performance was totally dependent on Jay Bothroyd playing well. Without him we were clueless. Under Warnock we have managed to win in various ways and with the whole squad playing a part.

I don't think our football is without it's flaws and against Citeh it unsurprisingly looked like men against boys but what Neil Warnock is in touching distance of achieving this season is truly incredible and should go down as a Cardiff legend and a managerial mastermind in my opinion.

Re: Cardiff's "brand" of football.

Did you see this?

https://www.tifofootball.com/video/t...-cardiff-city/

Excellent summation I thought that shows we are not as hoofball as other teams supporters suggest.

We can play some great stuff in the final third

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    We can play some great stuff in the final third
    Absolutely.
    How we get it to the final 3rd isn't a concern either.
    Some other fans of different clubs seem to think it's important though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Did you see this?

https://www.tifofootball.com/video/t...-cardiff-city/

Excellent summation I thought that shows we are not as hoofball as other teams supporters suggest.
    Yeah I posted that the other day mate. I also listened to their follow up podcast today where they discussed the chances of the championship top 4 and they were very complimentary about us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Absolutely.
    How we get it to the final 3rd isn't a concern either.
    Some other fans of different clubs seem to think it's important though.
    I'd much prefer to cut out 20 passes, it makes our stats look bad and gives people ammo to fire at us with, but against Brentford, villa and wolves, Leeds twice, we have shown how lethal we can be and blow teams away. We will always give teams a chance with the ball because that's how the manager sets us up.
    Read a piece the other day saying that we can look disorganised, but it's because that's what we are instructed to do, Bamba is told to push up and win the ball back earlier, so Bennet has to cover etc.. looks like chaos but this piece basically said it's what we set up to do.

Players like bothroyd, white, mcphail etc helped us play a little more attractively, but I agree with gringo.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I've been thinking about something Penarth said in the "Hello" thread and he said that this season has been one of the most satisfying even though we've played better football in years gone by.

I've supported the club since 1989 and I've got to admit that I've never really seen us play "better" football than this apart from when Routledge was on loan for a few games.

People rave about the Dave Jones years but we set up quite similar to how we do now but with a lot less "streetwise".

The other thing I will say about the Dave Jones days was that our performance was totally dependent on Jay Bothroyd playing well. Without him we were clueless. Under Warnock we have managed to win in various ways and with the whole squad playing a part.

I don't think our football is without it's flaws and against Citeh it unsurprisingly looked like men against boys but what Neil Warnock is in touching distance of achieving this season is truly incredible and should go down as a Cardiff legend and a managerial mastermind in my opinion.
    To be clear, for my tastes, in some games in seasons past we've played football that I've been more excited by. However, in terms of power, strength, no little skill and a 'never say die' attitude over a whole campaign this season feels far more like a distillation of what I have come to love about supporting Cardiff in my 46 years of following them on and off.

I can remember the start to the season where Gilbert and McNaughton as fullbacks terrorised defences up until Xmas - and then fell apart spectacularly and just continued the heartbreak we'd become used to.

I'm hoping this hasn't put the mockers on this season now, but even if it has I've still really enjoyed annoying the big boys and their entitled supporters by showing them that passion and team spirit can still be a vital element of a successful team.

If we do end up playing like Swansea City, just passing the ball around endlessly, then I'll find something else to do as it's as boring as hell to watch