+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Smith's press conference / apology

Steve Smith's press conference / apology

Just seen it on Sky news, Yes he is a cheat, but this looks fairly genuine

Re: Steve Smith's press conference / apology

There is a big difference between erring because of a moment's madness and premeditated cheating. His was the latter.

There is also a big difference between contrition because of being found out and due to being genuinely sorry.

As long as only three people are publicly implicated in this sorry mess, and because of the deliberate use of a rookie as a fall guy, I don't beleive Smith's tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    There is a big difference between erring because of a moment's madness and premeditated cheating. His was the latter.

There is also a big difference between contrition because of being found out and due to being genuinely sorry.

As long as only three people are publicly implicated in this sorry mess, and because of the deliberate use of a rookie as a fall guy, I don't beleive Smith's tears.
    ^^^this

They should be delving deeper if you ask me and I do not believe that a year ban is enough for this pre-meditated act which completely undermines the great game.

Crying for himself, wanker. Shouldn't have cheated, tw*t.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt
    Just seen it on Sky news, Yes he is a cheat, but this looks fairly genuine
    You have to wonder at Matt's moderation skills if he is gullible enough to be hoodwinked by Smith's crocodile tears.

You hear those cliches about how Australia play tough on the field, but it's all forgotten afterwards and think yeah right. However, I think the reaction in that country to what Smith, Warner and Bancroft did proves this to be true to some extent. Aussie teams have always sledged, but, in recent years, they have become a lot worse and it's good to see at least a couple of the main culprits getting their come uppance.
    My opinion is that Bancroft was guilty of naivety and was taken advantage of to a degree, while Smith showed himself to be ill qualified for leadership in so many different ways. As for Warner, it was pathetic hearing Darren Lehmann saying he should be given a second chance because he's already had more than enough of them - he's a wrong un in my opinion and I really hope his one year ban, in effect, becomes a life one.

Rumour is that Warner is considering appealling his ban. Hope he does in a way and that they double it. He is a nasty piece of work, as he has proved a number of times in the past. Smith is supposed to have come across Warner and Bancroft practicing the cheat in the lunch break and just walked off saying 'leave me out of it' i.e. get on with it but dont involve me. All he had to do was tell them not to do it and inform the management what he had seen. He was unable to do this because he is a weak captain and close friends with Warner. How he can ever captain Australia again is beyond me. Why has no one pressed Bancroft on the 'sugar in pocket' incident as well.

Why has no one pressed Bancroft on the 'sugar in pocket' incident as well.[/QUOTE]

Because they can't prove that one - even though it appears everyone knows what has been going on apparently.

The tears are because they got caught - they realised their cover story had more holes in it than colander. There is a lot of money involved here and I'm sure (cynically) there has been a high level of advice given as how to get through this.

The Aussie press will soon change their story as the team's fortunes decline. As Smith walked away today there were a couple of calls of support for him. These will double as anger turns to sympathy as their sob stories are aired in the press. The good guys badly advised stories will be circulated by their advisors and within 6 months there will be calls for their re-instatement.

Lucrative contracts will then be offer and they know it

Professional support - we were only trying to win and be the as written by your press agent

Everybody loves a reformed sinner.

I can't wait to see the movie - Warner played by Russell Crowe - and a bunch of weedy blokes playing the English cricket team

It will happen

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You hear those cliches about how Australia play tough on the field, but it's all forgotten afterwards and think yeah right. However, I think the reaction in that country to what Smith, Warner and Bancroft did proves this to be true to some extent. Aussie teams have always sledged, but, in recent years, they have become a lot worse and it's good to see at least a couple of the main culprits getting their come uppance.
    My opinion is that Bancroft was guilty of naivety and was taken advantage of to a degree, while Smith showed himself to be ill qualified for leadership in so many different ways. As for Warner, it was pathetic hearing Darren Lehmann saying he should be given a second chance because he's already had more than enough of them - he's a wrong un in my opinion and I really hope his one year ban, in effect, becomes a life one.
    I did start to write a reply saying tha Lehmann should fall on his sword as well, but now I see that he is quitting after the final test.

Inevitable I think.

It's a "Ratner" moment.

One of the best cricketers on the planet throwing away his career & future .... total madness.

Warner can feck off deserves what he gets!

Bancroft how can someone be that naive? They've sold him out!

Bancroft wasn't naive, as a batsman he knows full well the effect of reverse swing. They are all equally guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agree entirely TOBW. Australia also asked for stump microphones to be switched off in between balls being bowled so they could sledge continually without being heard.
    A nasty bunch crying over being caught. Pathetic.

I have disliked Australian cricketers ever since I saw them at a hotel I was staying at with work in Birmingham back in 1989. They were a surly bunch. Factor in their sledging of opposition players over many years and the gloating of the likes of Glenn McGrath and it is very difficult to like them.

No surprise Warner was involved in this. As has been said he is a “wrong un”. As for Smith he is an idiot. He has thrown away a superb career with this pre meditated cheating. He will go through dark days but it serves him right.
    Bancroft was naive and again has to accept that he has brought the game into disrepute.

The next Ashes series in England will be interesting especially as all three will have completed their bans by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I have disliked Australian cricketers ever since I saw them at a hotel I was staying at with work in Birmingham back in 1989. They were a surly bunch. Factor in their sledging of opposition players over many years and the gloating of the likes of Glenn McGrath and it is very difficult to like them.

No surprise Warner was involved in this. As has been said he is a “wrong un”. As for Smith he is an idiot. He has thrown away a superb career with this pre meditated cheating. He will go through dark days but it serves him right.
    Bancroft was naive and again has to accept that he has brought the game into disrepute.

The next Ashes series in England will be interesting especially as all three will have completed their bans by then.
    Lehmann crying made me smile after his plea to the Aussie public to send Broad home in tears,as for the next ashes series,l think it could be quite tasty

Looks genuinely gutted.

As someone that doesn't follow cricket at all though the whole coverage seems well out of proportion with what happened. When I originally heard it I didn't think much would come of it. Clearly to cricket lovers it isn't but for me it's no different to in football someone diving to win a game. Happens every week.

However I think it's good the sport reacts this way, the sooner the day divers get big bans the better.

Am I the only one who thinks this has been way ott? You'd swear they had killed someone ffs, let's ban people for life for having a bit of sand paper but those who have match fixed and made money get a one year ban and lets get stokes back in the England team don't worry he's only assaulting people

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this has been way ott? You'd swear they had killed someone ffs, let's ban people for life for having a bit of sand paper but those who have match fixed and made money get a one year ban and lets get stokes back in the England team don't worry he's only assaulting people
    For too long Aussie cricketers have got away with verbal abuse of opponents that is pretty disgusting. Smith himself is no angel. They have had this coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Lehmann crying made me smile after his plea to the Aussie public to send Broad home in tears,as for the next ashes series,l think it could be quite tasty
    Yep. It’s difficult to feel any sympathy for any of them.

Put it that way, it does seem pretty ridiculous.

Damaging for the game tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Looks genuinely gutted.

As someone that doesn't follow cricket at all though the whole coverage seems well out of proportion with what happened. When I originally heard it I didn't think much would come of it. Clearly to cricket lovers it isn't but for me it's no different to in football someone diving to win a game. Happens every week.

However I think it's good the sport reacts this way, the sooner the day divers get big bans the better.
    I personally like to see the Aussies stuff up, I grew up during that period where they were the best team in the world by a significant margin and they didn't exactly keep quiet about it. However, everyone is revelling in watching a grown man crying because he has let his dad down should probably sit back and take stock for a good few minutes. It is a sad story in my opinion and not something to celebrate, I like to watch good players - a few stupid actions and your career is marred with the scandal.

Don't know if the bans are the correct length but that is a matter for CA.

Stokes is a rugby league boy, can't help but get in a scrap. He shouldn't be anywhere near the England side until the case is settled and I have a feeling if England had won the ashes or got close he wouldn't be.

Two Aussies crying on the same night.
    Does it get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Two Aussies crying on the same night.
    Does it get any better.
    Someone should voice over smiths voice with Gary rowett for snow gate at derby

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Someone should voice over smiths voice with Gary rowett for snow gate at derby
    'The reality is we cheated and then lied'?