+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan

Vincent Tan

Without doubt the most successful owner Cardiff City have ever had.

Without doubt.

Re: Vincent Tan

We were runners up in Division 1 and we won the FA Cup in the 1920s. So there's some doubt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We were runners up in Division 1 and we won the FA Cup in the 1920s. So there's some doubt for you.
    That 2nd spot was ridiculous too.

Taken from Walesonline:

Saturday's game in Yorkshire is one for the historians as Cardiff City and Huddersfield Town were involved in the closest finish to a top-level title race.

The Yorkshire club were crowned Division One champions on goal average, by 0.024 of a goal!

On the final day of the 1923-24 season, City needed a win at Birmingham to become champions.

But Cardiff drew 0-0 at St Andrews, Len Davies failing to score from a penalty, as Huddersfield beat Nottingham Forest 3-0 to take the title on goal average.

City had scored 61 and conceded 34, while Huddersfield figures were 60-33.

Had modern-day goal-difference had been in operation, both would have been on plus 27 – and the Bluebirds would have been league champions by virtue of having scored one more goal than their rivals!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who was the owner back then?

I would 're phase the post as ""the most successful modern era owner "" where money drives everything.

Thanks Vincent Tan, we owe you one , happy to shake his hand anytime .

Ninian Chrichton-Stewart ?

The bit about fans walking to and from home games during the General Strike from as far afield as Rhondda is true. But we must remember that people during 1920s Britain walked exceptionally fast as viewing any Youtube video footage shot during that era will soon confirm. Even those back then who used a walking stick would easily overtake all of today's slowcoaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The bit about fans walking to and from home games during the General Strike from as far afield as Rhondda is true. But we must remember that people during 1920s Britain walked exceptionally fast as viewing any Youtube video footage shot during that era will soon confirm. Even those back then who used a walking stick would easily overtake all of today's slowcoaches.
    And it was downhill all the way.

Also, because everything was in black and white and covered in coal dust, people didnt stop to admire the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Cardiff were a massive club in the 20s, fans even walked to games from the Rhondda during the general strike.

I wonder how you would gauge success. Tan claimed that the club would be debt free in 2012, and it isn't. In fact, it has never been in so much debt, nor has it lost as much money on a monthly basis.
    We'll be a massive club in the 20s again, very soon from now.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I heard they still do this, as Arriva trains are crap
    Having worked at arriva depot canton, I really doubt a new franchise will change a thing.
    Will habe all the same staff and same amount of carriages...

I think that Tan has been great for the club and if it wasn't for the stupid colour change 6 years ago he would be widely recognised as the best owner the club has ever had.

You said most successful.

As modern football owners go, I think we're quite lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    You said most successful.
    That's correct. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The thread has been on here 18 hours and nobody has "kicked off" at all.

I think that Tan has been great for the club and if it wasn't for the stupid colour change 6 years ago he would be widely recognised as the best owner the club has ever had.
    That's correct. I did.
    Why.?

Does a FL Championship make u the most successful?

Dont get your reasoning.

Tell me then, which owner do you think has been more successful?

I dont know who our owners were pre 85 so no idea. Youve said best ever so explain why.

From mid 80s onwards your correct.

I don't have to explain anything. I've offered my opinion, that's all.

I think rick wright deserves a mention the promotion in 92/93 was probably one of the best years of following the club. Also made no promises and got out when he said he would. Only mark against him is he sold to kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Powis blue View Post
    I think rick wright deserves a mention the promotion in 92/93 was probably one of the best years of following the club. Also made no promises and got out when he said he would. Only mark against him is he sold to kumar
    Didnt like him at all. He ran it on a shoestring (he basically had no money), upset some of the players by not paying agreed bonuses and then threatened to walk away and shut it down for no reason that I can remember apart from the fact he realised that no one liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Didnt like him at all. He ran it on a shoestring (he basically had no money), upset some of the players by not paying agreed bonuses and then threatened to walk away and shut it down for no reason that I can remember apart from the fact he realised that no one liked him.
    Bit like our current owner then?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Bit like our current owner then?
    Nothing like him