+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is it safe to eat rare mince?

Is it safe to eat rare mince?

I’m looking to make my own burgers 🍔 tonight from store bought mince.

Is it safe to cook them pink or is that only ok for freshly ground mince from a whole cut?

Re: Is it safe to eat rare mince?

I recommend steak tartare, undercooked burgers are for wimps

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Is bovine encephalitis still a risk in the uk ?
    If so I’d give them a well done experience
    Either that or run the risk of spending 48 hours in or near the bathroom
    Speweysmiley:

I've eaten them rare and was really ill, although the upside was I lost 12lbs in 24 hours which was great.

[QUOTE=WJ99mobile;4860495]I’m looking to make my own burgers �� tonight from store bought mince.

Is it safe to cook them pink or is that only ok for freshly ground mince from a whole cut?

[/https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/national-burger-day-rare-beef-patties-can-you-eat-bacteria-food-poisoning-a7908631.html

If it's so rare, why eat it, shirley it's worth a lot of money, being rare ?

Pink inside is OK, as long as the temperature has reached 160°F throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If it's so rare, why eat it, shirley it's worth a lot of money, being rare ?
    Shouldn't there be some big text and caps in that post, just to make sure people get the sarcasm? ;)

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Shouldn't there be some big text and caps in that post, just to make sure people get the sarcasm? ;)
    No it’s more fun joining in

Probably best to use coarsely ground meat if you want to go pink.

Definitely not unless the meat has been ground in the past 20 minutes. Mincing meat exposes a far greater surface area and allows harmful pathogens to colonise and grow much more quickly. If you have a steak and sear the outside surfaces then you will have killed all of the pathogens growing on the surface of the meat and, unless the meat is rotten, none will be growing on the inside. As soon as the meat is minced every part of the surface of each grain of mince is a virtual Petri dish for E Coli etc to grow on.

The simple solution is to get a mincer, get a piece of topside, trim it, mince it, make a patty and cook it however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    No it’s more fun joining in
    Ithink someone got of the wrong side of the bed this morning

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ithink someone got of the wrong side of the bed this morning

It's the nerves playing havoc!

You can eat raw beef or beef mince, as long as it has been kept at proper temperatures in fridge prior or properly defrosted if frozen. Steak tartare is a well know French dish and is raw beef mince in a patty with a raw egg on top. Therefore eating 'pink' burgers is ok - some restaurants serve them like this unless you ask for them to be cooked through.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You can eat raw beef or beef mince, as long as it has been kept at proper temperatures in fridge prior or properly defrosted if frozen. Steak tartare is a well know French dish and is raw beef mince in a patty with a raw egg on top. Therefore eating 'pink' burgers is ok - some restaurants serve them like this unless you ask for them to be cooked through.
    No you shouldn’t unless it is freshly minced, otherwise you risk vomiting, bloody diarrhoea, kidney failure and death.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...re-burgers.pdf

Fresh mince that you or someone else has just minced is fine, but undercooking and then eating mince that you have bought in a supermarket is risky, unless you cook your patty very slowly and allow the centre to be slightly pink and the temperature of the pink bit to be above 70 Celsius. If it isn’t then you are really putting yourself in danger as heating organic matter increases the rate of bacterial growth until that 70 degrees is reached. You would be better off eating it raw than partially cooking it and allowing the heat from the partial cooking to have exponentially increased the bacterial load.

I saw my wife in the back of a shop eating a raw sausage that was sticking out of the butchers pocket, it doesn't seem to have done her any harm.

Ask the butcher in the supermarket to mince the round steak. Watch him do it. Pre packed minced meat is shite.

Use a meat thermometer. You should be fine.

If you're really serious. Get a butcher to mince you some sirloin.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Definitely not unless the meat has been ground in the past 20 minutes. Mincing meat exposes a far greater surface area and allows harmful pathogens to colonise and grow much more quickly. If you have a steak and sear the outside surfaces then you will have killed all of the pathogens growing on the surface of the meat and, unless the meat is rotten, none will be growing on the inside. As soon as the meat is minced every part of the surface of each grain of mince is a virtual Petri dish for E Coli etc to grow on.

The simple solution is to get a mincer, get a piece of topside, trim it, mince it, make a patty and cook it however you want.
    Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You can eat raw chicken - in Japan they do chicken sashimi - but I would want a professional to prepare it. Pink mince at home is asking for a trip to the hospital.