+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sheffield were good but we were shite

Sheffield were good but we were shite

You can’t do anything without the ball.

Re: Sheffield were good but we were shite

Who cares ?. Daft post really. We have just got a vital point by never giving up, even when not playing well. That is the sign of a very good team who dont deserve critiscism at this point, just support to get over the line. How we play is irrelevant.

Doesn't matter , we have won loads on the trot , been to a play off hopeful , played shit but grabbed a vital point

I would have been happy with a point before the game and I am happy now

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Doesn't matter , we have won loads on the trot , been to a play off hopeful , played shit but grabbed a vital point

I would have been happy with a point before the game and I am happy now
    Never got out of our own half all game never won a tackle free kick or throw in. Sheffield absolutely murdered us with their ten goals each half.

Final Score 1-1 Get In.

Fulham and villa will be gutted

I agree with the post title.

If we were at our best, we would have made them look very average.

When we've been that bad this season, we've usually lost. Preston away early season springs to mind.

We weren't winning any second ball. Hoilett was off form tonight, same with Mendez Laing. Zohore huffed and puffed and we couldn't really pass the ball whatsoever.

If Sheff Utd were a better side they'd have put 3 or 4 more on us, but they're not. They're not clinical at all.

It's a huge point considering how awful we were, and let's hope we've got that out of our system for Friday.

Bluuuuuuuebirds

Yes

Second best tonight but great goal by Pilkington, he should be having more game. Two Welsh boys in United line up played well,Brooks a future star but our players never gave up and it could be a valuable point. A win against Wolves on Friday and we are looking good?

Must say it amuses me how ready some are to use words like "shite" and "awful" to describe us when, for me, that was a result and, in some ways, a performance that epitomises a promotion team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Second best tonight but great goal by Pilkington, he should be having more game. Two Welsh boys in United line up played well,Brooks a future star but our players never gave up and it could be a valuable point. A win against Wolves on Friday and we are looking good?
    Brooks has got great movement and intelligence, he is going to be some player one day.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Who cares ?. Daft post really. We have just got a vital point by never giving up, even when not playing well. That is the sign of a very good team who dont deserve critiscism at this point, just support to get over the line. How we play is irrelevant.
    It isn’t daft at all. It is true.

It also highlights that a good team is one that can take something from a game that they didn’t play well in.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Must say it amuses me how ready some are to use words like "shite" and "awful" to describe us when, for me, that was a result and, in some ways, a performance that epitomises a promotion team.
    The pitch won tonight.

Thought Sheffield United played some really good stuff.

We also had a few players off form for some reason and the conditions seemed to affect us more than them.

It wasn't all one sided either. The stats back that up.

End of the day , again our spirit carried us through and we got a very good point.

On to the next biggie on Friday 👍

I honestly would have taken a point before the game started tonight. If Fulham win tomorrow we are still five points clear of them with a game in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Brooks has got great movement and intelligence, he is going to be some player one day.
    If we can clinch promotion then maybe Neil should consider giving the Blades a call and see how much they want for Brooks!

I didn't think it was that bad. We battled and we got a point. Our approach play, especially in the final third, was not what it's been of late. And NML and Junior never really got going. I expected our midfield to be dominant tonight, but whatever. A great point. Well done City!

Really?
    Yes, delighted to have scrapped for and scraped a point, but also can see that we very nearly did not get that point, and that our defence was once again caught out by pace and that we played hoof ball which more often than not went to an opposition player and on the occasions that it it didn’t we more often than not failed to do anything with it.
    I don’t think we can even say we ground out a result.
    A bad performance tempered by a late equaliser.
    Hopefully we will revert back to normal on Friday.

To be fair, since our blip over Xmas, we’ve taken 35 points from 39. I think we’re allowed a bad performance now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    To be fair, since our blip over Xmas, we’ve taken 35 points from 39. I think we’re allowed a bad performance now and again.
    Yes we are and I would have preferred it to be tonight rather than during our next two matches.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Really?
    Yes, delighted to have scrapped for and scraped a point, but also can see that we very nearly did not get that point, and that our defence was once again caught out by pace and that we played hoof ball which more often than not went to an opposition player and on the occasions that it it didn’t we more often than not failed to do anything with it.
    I don’t think we can even say we ground out a result.
    A bad performance tempered by a late equaliser.
    Hopefully we will revert back to normal on Friday.
    You've said it there. that's what promotion sides do - sides that win things are mainly remembered for the "Champagne" stuff they play when they are at their best, but that's the easy bit, the matches where points are chiseled out, no matter how unlikely the manner of it happening is, make a huge difference because it's a knack not many have.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    You can’t do anything without the ball.
    We were miles off our our best but we still got a point away from home in awful conditions.

Nobody can overlook the 13 game unbeaten run, with 10 wins, 3 draws resulting in 33 points out of a possible 39!!

That equaliser last night was the sign of a side deadly serious about promotion.

You've said it there. that's what promotion sides do - sides that win things are mainly remembered for the "Champagne" stuff they play when they are at their best, but that's the easy bit, the matches where points are chiseled out, no matter how unlikely the manner of it happening is, make a huge difference because it's a knack not many have.
    Agree with this sentiment, it's a mark of a team that has promotion in their sights. We can all recall pundits and analysts referring the Chelsea and Manchester United teams of the past that were able to get a result even when they didn't perform well, and saying that doing so is a mark of a champion team.

Yeah Cardiff were second best last night, but shit is a very strong term and the wrong term to use. I've even seen Hoilett referred as playing shit last night, when in fact he just came up against a team that allowed him absolutely no space, everytime he received the ball he was under constant pressure. I think the necessary plaudits need to be given to Wilder's gameplan and his team carrying it out. Their wingback formation frustrated us and limited our momentum going forward, and the willingness of players like Baldock to burst forward caught us out on many an occasion.

But saying that, we conceded last night to a deflected shot, Sheffield United then went on to create about 4 or 5 good goal scoring opportunities, hitting the woodwork with one effort. Whereas Cardiff still managed to create about 3 goal scoring opportunities of their own, managing to convert one. For me last night's performance epitomised the level of effort the team are willing to put in. Etheridge's tackle, Bamba and Morrison making blocking challenges, the persistence to get the ball forward, we never looked like a team that was giving up and as a result came away with a dogged point. So hats off to the lads for never giving in and grinding out a result.