+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Gary Madine the new Ronnie Moore?

Is Gary Madine the new Ronnie Moore?

I really hope that I eat my words but from what I have seen of Gary Madine so far is he shaping up to be the next Ronnie Moore?

Maybe he needs a goal or something but a lot of running around does not equate to a £6m striker in my view. Even winning a few headers or making a few passes would be a start.

I always give City players time (God knows we ALL did with Ronnie Moore!) but I expected more from Madine.

Re: Is Gary Madine the new Ronnie Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I really hope that I eat my words but from what I have seen of Gary Madine so far is he shaping up to be the next Ronnie Moore?

Maybe he needs a goal or something but a lot of running around does not equate to a £6m striker in my view. Even winning a few headers or making a few passes would be a start.

I always give City players time (God knows we ALL did with Ronnie Moore!) but I expected more from Madine.
    Like the headed assist for the goal?

£6m? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Like the headed assist for the goal?
    Exactly. Give the lad a break, he's only been a bit part player so far.

He will play his part, as he did tonight.

Bloody hell give the bloke a chance

£6m? 🤔
    If you go up he would be worth it.
    If we don't, he will make his mark.
    Win win IMHO.

He didnt have any chances to score, so not sure how you can criticise him for not scoring tonight. He did however put himself about, held the ball up well, won his fair share of headers including the flick on for our goal. In my book thats plenty and he has contributed in all the games he has played. He was also out injured for four or five games as well. At this point we should be backing the whole team to the hilt, not starting critical threads.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He didnt have any chances to score, so not sure how you can criticise him for not scoring tonight. He did however put himself about, held the ball up well, won his fair share of headers including the flick on for our goal. In my book thats plenty and he has contributed in all the games he has played. He was also out injured for four or five games as well. At this point we should be backing the whole team to the hilt, not starting critical threads.
    Well said.

Not easy playing as a striker when we’re hoofing it anywhere. Some of the long balls we were playing were disgraceful.

Going route one is fine but half the time the ball wasn’t in 40 yards of someone.

My memories of Moore are that he was often the only City player in the opposing half and that his back was always facing the opponents goal.

£6m? ��
    Worth it for the improvement we've see in Zohore since Medine signed.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Not easy playing as a striker when we’re hoofing it anywhere. Some of the long balls we were playing were disgraceful.

Going route one is fine but half the time the ball wasn’t in 40 yards of someone.
    I don't know what was going on the ball was treated as a hot potato everyone just wanted to get rid ASAP the pitch was awful though

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

Hhhhm. If you read my post carefully my comments are not just based on tonight’s game.

I really hope that he comes good but ‘putting himself about’ and ‘holding the ball up’ are the minimum requirements for any stricker at any level, let alone one that cost £6m! I certainly don’t think that it is unreasonable to expect a BIT more than that from one of the clubs most expensive signings. Lol.

As I said, let’s give him time. But I’d like to see rather more than the bare basics.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    My memories of Moore are that he was often the only City player in the opposing half and that his back was always facing the opponents goal.
    I always liked Moore and thought that he was a decent footballer (better than from what I have seen so far from Madine) but he just couldn’t score, from memory anyway, and it became a real millstone for him :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I don't know what was going on the ball was treated as a hot potato everyone just wanted to get rid ASAP the pitch was awful though
    Frustrating because they managed to play with the ball and made us look an average team. We hoofed and hoofed and it did us no favours.

I always liked Moore and thought that he was a decent footballer (better than from what I have seen so far from Madine) but he just couldn’t score, from memory anyway, and it became a real millstone for him :-(
    His hard work and effort gave Gary “Basil”Stevens the space and time to score in my opinion

Madine will score an important goal...soon

Like the headed assist for the goal?[/QUOTE]
    As in agreed

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Madine will score an important goal...soon
    Friday I've already predicted.

Though he was better than Zohore tonight,much more physical, just needs a better service from crosses.

If Madine's header into Pilks for that point is the difference of us going up then he's made his money up.

the lad needs game time ,made a good contribution today.

£6m? ��
    Neil Warnock was adamant in a February press conference that it was only £5m including performance add-ons (even Wales Online are using that figure sometimes).

But £6m or £5m - the argument is the same.