+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 50 years ago tonight

50 years ago tonight

European Cup-Winners Cup Quarter-Final Replay

City 1 Moscow Torpedo 0 played in Augsburg, West Germany.

City Team: Wilson, Coldrick, Ferguson, Clarke (Malcolm), Morgan, Harris, Barrie Jones, Dean. King, Toshack, Bell.
    Scorer: Dean (42mins) Attendance: 25,881

A memorable night for those of us of a certain vintage.

Re: 50 years ago tonight

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post

City Team: Wilson, Coldrick, Ferguson, Clarke (Malcolm), Morgan, Harris, Barrie Jones, Dean. King, Toshack, Bell.

Did many City fans follow us in Europe back in the day?

Richie Morgan's debut against the convicted rapist.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...mment/14/sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I remember the crowds as big and vocal, great nights

Sadly, no longer with us, Bill Donovan made the around 8,000 miles round trip from Cardiff to Tashkent for the away leg of the Moscow Torpedo tie. Although Moscow was considered to be too cold at the time to play the match there, City made their journey to Tashkent via the Russian capital and Bill was one of a very small number in the touring party (it may have been one!) who accepted an invitation to attend the Bolshoi Ballet while they were there - his verdict when asked what it was like was "not bad, but there was too much dancing".

They were great nights, we qualified by winning Welsh Cup. We should still be allowed to enter together with Jacks,County and Wrexham?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    They were great nights, we qualified by winning Welsh Cup. We should still be allowed to enter together with Jacks,County and Wrexham?
    What would determine qualification? I think size of population would do it. :)

It was a wonderful City and era.
    The excitement of being at NP on a Wednesday night playing some of the biggest names in European Football and also some previously unheard of.

And that was almost certainly the starting line up on the Saturday before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    And that was almost certainly the starting line up on the Saturday before and after.
    Bill Donovan was rested the following Saturday .........Too much dancing !!!!!!!

I was there that night.Living in Cologne (KOLN)at the time and we drove to Augsburg-a journey of some 6 hours.On the few City games my wife has seen as totally not into football.Fantastic night-not sure there were any other City fans there.
    Got home the following morning just in time to go to work.One of the best City experiences ever.Barrie Jones cross nodded down by Tosh and smashed in by Dean.Dean scored in the away leg in Hamburg too in the semi final in the1-1 draw.
    As you say you have to be of a vintage to appreciate it was one of the great City games.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The side that played Torpedo that night showed four changes from the team that had lost 3-1 to Millwall on the previous Saturday. Don Murray was injured so was replaced by Richie Morgan who was making his debut. Three recent signings Fred Davies, Brian Clark and Leslie Lea all played against Millwall but were ineligible for the Torpedo game. Bob Wilson, Norman Dean and Gary Bell took their places. We did however field the same starting 11 against Blackpool 3 days later but again lost 3-1.

We qualified by winning Welsh Cup Final which was often played at Millenium Stadium. Imagine crowd we would generate playing Jacks in final? Cardiff second team also played in Welsh League, remember Tosh as a youngster playing against Bridgend Town at Coychurch Road ground, it would toughen our youngsters up to play against men rather than waste of time under 23’s competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We qualified by winning Welsh Cup Final which was often played at Millenium Stadium. Imagine crowd we would generate playing Jacks in final? Cardiff second team also played in Welsh League, remember Tosh as a youngster playing against Bridgend Town at Coychurch Road ground, it would toughen our youngsters up to play against men rather than waste of time under 23’s competition.
    Out of all the finals since 1877/78 the final has never been at the Millennium Stadium, and has only been held at the National Stadium 7 times. It used to go between different grounds around the country which was great.

It was one of those events where I can remember where I was. I was listening to the game on the wireless in a pal's house in Ponty. Haven't seen the pal for years as I moved long time ago. Must look him up before its too late!

From memory, we played in three Finals at the old National Stadium, but that was something which was tacked on towards the end of our time in the competition - I'd say about three quarters of the Welsh Cup Finals we played in during the time I've supported the club were two leg affairs. One of the first ones I can remember was against Wrexham sometime in the mid 60s where we beat them 5-1 down here in the first leg and then were beaten by a single goal margin in the away leg (think it was 1-0) and so had to have a replay because the Final was decided on a points basis in those days, so both teams ended up with two points for winning their home game!I don't recall the score, but we stuffed Wrexham again in the replay which meant we had beaten them by something like 9-2 on aggregate over the three games.

Wonder if fans would rather Cardiff participated in the Welsh Cup or the English FA Cup