+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would anyone have David Marshall back?

Would anyone have David Marshall back?

Assuming all goes well and we go up (I guess even if we don't) would anyone be happy if we re-signed him? I'd like to see how Etheridge could do in the PL but Marshall would probably be available fairly cheaply as a backup option. Has only played a few cup games and one league appearance so far for Hull.

Re: Would anyone have David Marshall back?

No! Strangely it would be a backward step imo

No thanks. Returning to a former team to try and live off your past success never works.

No, always liked him but Dodgy keeper springs to mind.

I would. He was a top class keeper for us. If he was happy to fight for a place here rather than in Hull, then it would be good competition for Etheridge.

Instead of Lee Camp? Yes.

Norwich might

Whatever happens we will be in the market for a keeper in the summer.As 1st choice?no not for me but as a back up,maybe. Judgeing by the way Etheridge has improved under the coaching of Andy Dibble its safe to assume he would also get the best out of Marshall. Plus as tried and tested keepers go I'm guessing he would be cheap.

I think etheridge is a more well rounded keeper. Marshall was excellent but he didn’t command his box as well as etheridge.

Not us I hope as momentum ,team togetherness is critical, especially if we go up.

I thought our last promotion squad suffered from too much break up .

Ps yes, if he plays and chucks a few in when we play em.

If the price was right, why not?

I think that boat has sailed. McGregor was 3rd choice at Hull last year when he came on loan to us last season, and now he's first choice there and Marshall can't get a game.

Etheridge has improved immensely since the start of this season and now is really solid.

I would have him back in a heartbeat. He is a top class keeper at his best and I have no doubt its all still there under the right leadership

My number one rule. Never go back to ex’s. Applies predominantly to girlfriends and footballers!

We were lucky to get 2m for Marshall and he’s been a disaster at Hull! Now Heaton may be available from Burnley as Pope is now in England squad and Hennessey’s contract is up this summer and Foster is another who may be available, all better than Marshall?

How many clean sheets have we had compared to the title winning side? Let's give ethridge his fair craic first

Sadly, no.
    Shame. He was a cracking keeper here.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Instead of Lee Camp? Yes.
    This please!!

Yes, but as others have said, initially as second choice to Etheridge who has been superb for us thus far.

A few seasons ago, he was one of the best in the country and I don't believe you become a bad keeper in a year (probably less in Marshall's case with the games he's played).
    A goalkeeper is only as good as his defence and a relationship / confidence needs to be built. Hull was a bad move for Marshall, which many of us thought at the time, and by the time he left us, he had gotten used to being in a losing side, which continued.
    With a run of games he could be back to his best and I think he has good memories and allies here.

If the terms were right for us then it's a definite "yes" from me, especially ahead of Camp.

Yes for me, But after Etheridge at the start

A great shot stopper

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We were lucky to get 2m for Marshall and he’s been a disaster at Hull! Now Heaton may be available from Burnley as Pope is now in England squad and Hennessey’s contract is up this summer and Foster is another who may be available, all better than Marshall?
    I think Etheridge is in better form than all of those.