+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan

The murder rate in London is now higher than in NY, but don't worry. Sadiq Khan is said to be "concerned", so all will be well.

Clearly, his efforts to make London "the safest city in the world" is working very well. He's also seemingly more concerned about policing online "hate speech" and "mean comments" than actually solving the increasing murder rate.

The guy is an absolute turd.

Re: Sadiq Khan

What probably isn’t helping is the massive cut backs to front line Policing since 2010z

I'm not saying that it's a quick fix, or that an exponential increase of coppers will solve is straight away, but it's his reaction (or lack thereof) that's the most irritating for me. He's clearly more passionate about spending time trying to ban Trump from the U.K or making excuses for terrorism than actually getting to the bottom of this.

If there's been a sudden spike in the murder rate, then how and why has this happened? Some are claiming that it's the lack of stop and search that's part of the root cause. A lot of it seems gang-related and not all drive by shootings. Acid attacks have also increased. This has happened on Khan's watch, and alongside the other irritating crap he comes out with, is just yet another reason to dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I'm not saying that it's a quick fix, or that an exponential increase of coppers will solve is straight away, but it's his reaction (or lack thereof) that's the most irritating for me. He's clearly more passionate about spending time trying to ban Trump from the U.K or making excuses for terrorism than actually getting to the bottom of this.

If there's been a sudden spike in the murder rate, then how and why has this happened? Some are claiming that it's the lack of stop and search that's part of the root cause. A lot of it seems gang-related and not all drive by shootings. Acid attacks have also increased. This has happened on Khan's watch, and alongside the other irritating crap he comes out with, is just yet another reason to dislike him.
    Sadiq Khan made excuses for terrorists? I missed it but you probably have it at your fingertips.

Its almost like the Metropolitan Police's budget has been cut by £600m

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...to-fight-crime

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sadiq Khan made excuses for terrorists? I missed it but you probably have it at your fingertips.
    I clearly said "terrorism". One particular instance being the now infamous quote: "Terror attacks are part and parcel of living in a big city". Living in Tokyo, this terror-related stuff happens every day out here.....

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its almost like the Metropolitan Police's budget has been cut by £600m

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...to-fight-crime
    Oh absolutely, Theresa May also has a lot to answer for, not just as PM but also as Home Secretary. But, if my memory serves, I read that the number of police officers in London is higher than it was 5 or so years ago. And I'm also sure that if this had happened under Boris' watch, you'd be leaping to his defence just as quickly

What would you like his reaction to be if you acknowledge that there isn't much he can do to materially change what is happening.

Nick Ferrari criticised him for not being more visible, a view I am somewhat sympathetic to (because politicians shouldnt just appear when there is praise and adulation to be hoovered up) but the truth is that Sadiq wandering every murder site sobbing (or fist bumping the crowd) isn't going to change much.

I clearly said "terrorism". One particular instance being the now infamous quote: "Terror attacks are part and parcel of living in a big city". Living in Tokyo, this terror-related stuff happens every day out here.....

Oh absolutely, Theresa May also has a lot to answer for, not just as PM but also as Home Secretary. But, if my memory serves, I read that the number of police officers in London is higher than it was 5 or so years ago. And I'm also sure that if this had happened under Boris' watch, you'd be leaping to his defence just as quickly
    Apologies - silly mistake by me to associate terrorism with terrorists.

Sadiq Khan's quote was:

“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you’ve got to be prepared for these things, you’ve got to be vigilant, you’ve got to support the police doing an incredibly hard job. We must never accept terrorists being successful, we must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or destroy the way we lead our lives.”

Presumably in Tokyo you just wing it because it will never happen to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What would you like his reaction to be if you acknowledge that there isn't much he can do to materially change what is happening.

Nick Ferrari criticised him for not being more visible, a view I am somewhat sympathetic to (because politicians shouldnt just appear when there is praise and adulation to be hoovered up) but the truth is that Sadiq wandering every murder site sobbing (or fist bumping the crowd) isn't going to change much.
    Exactly that. It's his complete silence and absenteeism that prompted my rant for today.

Sadiq Khan's quote was:

“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you’ve got to be prepared for these things, you’ve got to be vigilant, you’ve got to support the police doing an incredibly hard job. We must never accept terrorists being successful, we must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or destroy the way we lead our lives.”
    Fair enough, maybe I misread his quote so I'll admit to being wrong on that one. But aside from that, legally defending the likes of Louis Farrakhan doesn't exactly endear him to me 100%. Everyone has the right for a legal defence, but that doesn't mean I'll respect him personally for it.

Fair enough, maybe I misread his quote so I'll admit to being wrong on that one. But aside from that, legally defending the likes of Louis Farrakhan doesn't exactly endear him to me 100%. Everyone has the right for a legal defence, but that doesn't mean I'll respect him personally for it.
    There is always a risk that quotes will be extracted and misused. You seem to have a downer on him for a variety of reasons which is fair enough but find the right stick to beat him. For what its worth I think Khan has come across flat footed on the increased murder rate in London regardless of its causes. As others have said this is not an easy issue you can solve in the short term but the stats are not accidental. Studying what cities like New York and, in the UK, Glasgow have done to reduce crime and murder rates are important in finding the right paths for London to do the same. It probably needs greater co-operation and co-ordination between central government and London though. If I were being cynical then what's in it for the Government to help Khan reduce London's crime and murder rate?

There is always a risk that quotes will be extracted and misused. You seem to have a downer on him for a variety of reasons which is fair enough but find the right stick to beat him. For what its worth I think Khan has come across flat footed on the increased murder rate in London regardless of its causes. As others have said this is not an easy issue you can solve in the short term but the stats are not accidental. Studying what cities like New York and, in the UK, Glasgow have done to reduce crime and murder rates are important in finding the right paths for London to do the same. It probably needs greater co-operation and co-ordination between central government and London though. If I were being cynical then what's in it for the Government to help Khan reduce London's crime and murder rate?
    I recently read about their holistic approach in Glasgow. Even though it's a smaller city than London, it still took years to bear fruit, so yeah there's not much chance of a quick fix.

I recently read about their holistic approach in Glasgow. Even though it's a smaller city than London, it still took years to bear fruit, so yeah there's not much chance of a quick fix.
    Police resources is one element, though whenever I turn up to a Cardiff game in London they don't seem short handed. The Glaswegian approach as you say was to treat this as a mental health issue and target the individuals most likely to commit escalating criminal behaviour on this basis. They, like New York, did not shy away from swamping high crime areas with intrusive policing as part of that strategy. Glasgow's issues were probably more easy to deal with as it may have social divisions but not the multi-cultural challenges that exist in policing London. You do get the sense though that London may be prioritising terrorism over gang/knife crime.

No easy choices and I don't blame them for that. Just a bit uneasy that they have shied away from the type of policing that might pay dividends, stop and search etc, because of the negative connetations associated with it.

Police resources is one element, though whenever I turn up to a Cardiff game in London they don't seem short handed. The Glaswegian approach as you say was to treat this as a mental health issue and target the individuals most likely to commit escalating criminal behaviour on this basis. They, like New York, did not shy away from swamping high crime areas with intrusive policing as part of that strategy. Glasgow's issues were probably more easy to deal with as it may have social divisions but not the multi-cultural challenges that exist in policing London. You do get the sense though that London may be prioritising terrorism over gang/knife crime.

No easy choices and I don't blame them for that. Just a bit uneasy that they have shied away from the type of policing that might pay dividends, stop and search etc, because of the negative connetations associated with it.
    Absolutely, Glasgow has its own problems but not in the same vein or scale as a place like London.

It seems to me that Khan wanted a more "progressive" approach to policing such as reducing stop and search for the fear of, as you said, negative connotations. Knife crime in London has surged up 23% from last year, but I believe today he sanctioned extra stop and search powers to the police but I'm not convinced there'll be much of a let up any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Sadiq Khan said "Terrorist attacks are part and parcel of living in a big city" luckily most dont have the same mindest
    I am struggling with the mindest but if you post any full direct quote by him I am sure that can be cleared up!

They need to get to the core of the issue , drugs I'm guessing .

A doctor (wife is a surgeon) and lives in Tottenham gives his take on the increase in crime.

https://twitter.com/juniordrblog/sta...861841408?s=21

Had you called him out on it just as quickly and unnecessarily I would have

You seriously going down that road? Boris has had a ****ing terrible week and you haven't started a thread about that or even mentioned it.

You seriously going down that road? Boris has had a ****ing terrible week and you haven't started a thread about that or even mentioned it.
    Yeah, I did go down that road, and my point still stands. Not many would defend Boris on here in that situation. Had he been mayor at this time, the thread would've been posted faster than a US marine into a brothel.

I don't exactly know why I should start a thread on everyone who has a bad week. Johnson making gaffes isn't anything new, and if you're alluding to the Russia story then I gave up attempting to follow that as for me it's getting tedious. But don't worry, just to keep you happy, I'll write this just for you:

Boris Johnson. What a turd. I wish we chain him to the floor like King Kong so orphaned kids could use him as a bouncy castle.

Happier now?

Yeah, I did go down that road, and my point still stands. Not many would defend Boris on here in that situation. Had he been mayor at this time, the thread would've been posted faster than a US marine into a brothel.

I don't exactly know why I should start a thread on everyone who has a bad week. Johnson making gaffes isn't anything new, and if you're alluding to the Russia story then I gave up attempting to follow that as for me it's getting tedious. But don't worry, just to keep you happy, I'll write this just for you:

Boris Johnson. What a turd. I wish we chain him to the floor like King Kong so orphaned kids could use him as a bouncy castle.

Happier now?
    Are you saying the ccmb politics forum is mostly threads criticising the government/conservative party? Have you actually looked?

The old ccmb cliche that the place is dominated by lefties who would never criticise labour doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Are you saying the ccmb politics forum is mostly threads criticising the government/conservative party? Have you actually looked?

The old ccmb cliche that the place is dominated by lefties who would never criticise labour doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    I forgot to explicitly state that the thread would've been posted by me. My bad.

I hope that clears it up for you!

I forgot to explicitly state that the thread would've been posted by me. My bad.

I hope that clears it up for you!
    Fair enough