Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
Police resources is one element, though whenever I turn up to a Cardiff game in London they don't seem short handed. The Glaswegian approach as you say was to treat this as a mental health issue and target the individuals most likely to commit escalating criminal behaviour on this basis. They, like New York, did not shy away from swamping high crime areas with intrusive policing as part of that strategy. Glasgow's issues were probably more easy to deal with as it may have social divisions but not the multi-cultural challenges that exist in policing London. You do get the sense though that London may be prioritising terrorism over gang/knife crime.

No easy choices and I don't blame them for that. Just a bit uneasy that they have shied away from the type of policing that might pay dividends, stop and search etc, because of the negative connetations associated with it.
Absolutely, Glasgow has its own problems but not in the same vein or scale as a place like London.

It seems to me that Khan wanted a more "progressive" approach to policing such as reducing stop and search for the fear of, as you said, negative connotations. Knife crime in London has surged up 23% from last year, but I believe today he sanctioned extra stop and search powers to the police but I'm not convinced there'll be much of a let up any time soon.