https://youtu.be/la1WfEr60yg

Dimebag though...

Re: Thin Lizzy on top form , amazing guitar solo

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/gqSzDJGFCgI

Scott Gorham from 1:57 in nails it

A band in complete control , up there with led Zeppelin in my opinion
    Could do with his ends cut though!

I have to agree with you on the fact that LZ revered and got legend status whereas TL much less so.
    Lynott's untimely passing, far too young, probably much to do with it.
    Their music stands the test of time alright, which you can't say about many acts now.

Top band !! Saw them about 4 or 5 times !!

Unfortunately, the band always seemed to suffer bad luck just as they were about to tour the States that most probably would have broken the band world wide ! Robertson hand injury, Lynott getting hepatitis and Moore leaving mid USA tour all impacted US tours!

Nowadays , I get my Lizzy fix watching Limehouse Lizzy ( top tribute band) who are in The Globe in May !!

Robbo “playing a strat” in video seems strange as always associate Gibson Les Pauls with Lizzy !!

He looks disinterested in video but not surprising after he messed up prior to US tour by getting involved in a bar brawl and damaging his hand causing the band to cancel US tour that I think would have broken the US market for the band! Gorham had to coax Lynott to let Robbo “guest” on Bad Reputation album and rejoin the band!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Great guitarist , saw em on reinventing the steel tour in Newport , great gig , pity Phil Anselmo turned into a racist redneck

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Robbo “playing a strat” in video seems strange as always associate Gibson Les Pauls with Lizzy !!

He looks disinterested in video but not surprising after he messed up prior to US tour by getting involved in a bar brawl and damaging his hand causing the band to cancel US tour that I think would have broken the US market for the band! Gorham had to coax Lynott to let Robbo “guest” on Bad Reputation album and rejoin the band!
    I always wondered why bad reputation only had three of them on the cover !

Thin Lizzy at their prime i.e. Jailbreak & Johnny The Fox were one of the best band's in the world. Sadly the drugs took over Philo's muse sometime after that, and the music was always taking 2nd place to having a good time. They probably were the best band way back in '76.

Robbo ('Rocky' from JTF..."cocky Rocky he's a rock n'r' star, got the talent to take him far") was a firebrand and him and Philo had many a falling out. The first huge one allegedly concerned 'Don't Believe A Word'. Philo had written it as a ballad and Robbo refused to play on it as he felt it was too lightweight and sappy, and came up with the riff you can hear in the JTF version.

Bad Reputation wasn't a bad (sorry about the pun) album, but it missed Robbo's input and I for one felt Philo was going thru the motions. The Live & Dangerous album released in '78 was an upturn in their fortunes, but by then Robbo was out of the band replaced by Gary Moore. Most of the songs bar Roisin Dubh (Black Rose), were 2nd best compared with what had been on Jailbreak, JTF, and even the album preceding Jailbreak, Fighting. The single 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' was absolutely appalling from a man who could write some of the best rock songs ever.. There was some great inspired guitar work from Moore, but the bands best days were definigtely behnind them by then. As for forming the Greedy Bastards with former Sex Pistols, ..... c'mon Phil, you were so much better than that!

Was lucky enough to catch the band live several times:

Cardiff Castle, July '75
    Cardiff Capitol, Oct '76
    Reading festival Aug '77
    Cardiff Capitol Nov' 77
    Cardiff St Davids Hall, April '83
    Swindon June 2011. Here i was lucky enough to blag my way into a meet n' great with Scott and Brian. Spent an hour in their company. What an extremely intelligent, great and friendly guy Scott Gorham is. Considering he too was off his face for a lot of time in the late 70s and early 80s, he has many fantastic stories to tell.

I may listen to Northern Soul these days but these clips are the dogs bollox!!

Here's two clips. One features Gary Moore ( the band doing DBAW on the OGWT with Cozy Powell on drums, and Don Airy on keyboards), the other is from a bootleg and features Robbo at his best. This was the exact version they played at Cardiff Capitol. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The applause from the assembled throng when the song ended, literally blew the roof off the venue that night. Love Phil ad-libbing bits of 'Old Flame' at the song's climax. Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fza-xzksmtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmXC87qV_do

Anyone with a genuine interest should read Graeme Thomson ' The Cowboy Song'. Released two years, it really is damn good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Thin Lizzy at their prime i.e. Jailbreak & Johnny The Fox were one of the best band's in the world. Sadly the drugs took over Philo's muse sometime after that, and the music was always taking 2nd place to having a good time. They probably were the best band way back in '76.

Robbo ('Rocky' from JTF..."cocky Rocky he's a rock n'r' star, got the talent to take him far") was a firebrand and him and Philo had many a falling out. The first huge one allegedly concerned 'Don't Believe A Word'. Philo had written it as a ballad and Robbo refused to play on it as he felt it was too lightweight and sappy, and came up with the riff you can hear in the JTF version.

Bad Reputation wasn't a bad (sorry about the pun) album, but it missed Robbo's input and I for one felt Philo was going thru the motions. The Live & Dangerous album released in '78 was an upturn in their fortunes, but by then Robbo was out of the band replaced by Gary Moore. Most of the songs bar Roisin Dubh (Black Rose), were 2nd best compared with what had been on Jailbreak, JTF, and even the album preceding Jailbreak, Fighting. The single 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' was absolutely appalling from a man who could write some of the best rock songs ever.. There was some great inspired guitar work from Moore, but the bands best days were definigtely behnind them by then. As for forming the Greedy Bastards with former Sex Pistols, ..... c'mon Phil, you were so much better than that!

Cardiff Castle, July '75
    Cardiff Capitol, Oct '76
    Reading festival Aug '77
    Cardiff Capitol Nov' 77
    Swindon June 2011. Here i was lucky enough to blag my way into a meet n' great with Scott and Brian. Spent an hour in their company. What an extremely intelligent, great and friendly guy Scott Gorham is. Considering he too was off his face for a lot of time in the late 70s and early 80s, he has many fantastic stories to tell.

Here's two clips. One features Gary Moore ( the band doing DBAW on the OGWT with Cozy Powell on drums, and Don Airy on keyboards), the other is from a bootleg and features Robbo at his best. This was the exact version they played at Cardiff Capitol. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The applause from the assembled throng when the song ended, literally blew the roof off the venue that night. Love Phil ad-libbing bits of 'Old Flame' at the song's climax. Enjoy!!

Anyone with a genuine interest should read Graeme Thomson ' The Cowboy Song'. Released two years, it really is damn good read.
    Brilliant this👍 I love Thin Lizzy. I think if drugs hadn’t ****ed them over they really could and should have been bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Cardiff Castle, July '75
    Cardiff Capitol, Oct '76
    Reading festival Aug '77
    Cardiff Capitol Nov' 77

I saw Lizzy at at David's in 83 , they were ok but lynott wasn't on top form , thunder and lightning was a poor album as was renegade

I think fighting , Johnny the fox and bad reputation are their best

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I saw Lizzy at at David's in 83 , they were ok but lynott wasn't on top form , thunder and lightning was a poor album as was renegade

I think fighting , Johnny the fox and bad reputation are their best
    I agree Sludgey, Lynott looked knackered that night, I do wonder with hindsight how "off his face" he was though. or had been the previous day(s).

My favourite albums of theirs are Jailbreak, Johnny The fox, Fighting and Vagabonds of The Western World. The last of these was the third album by the original three piece of Lynott, Downey and Eric Bell. Some superb guitar work on here from Eric. The album also contains some of my favourite Lynott songs, in the Rocker, Song for While I'm Away and Little Girl In Bloom. Midge Ure (a very good friend of Lynott's and who was actually in Lizzy's line up for a short while, still plays the last two songs live occasionally).

Read the book I recommended Sludge !

I remember seeing him with Gary Moore on TV where they played “Out in the fields” and “Military Man” and Phil looked bloated but the success of the single had lifted him after Grand Slam failed to capture a record deal. However, sadly the drugs in particular Heroin finally beat him .....so sad !