+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So I reckon, of the 29,000 there last night..

So I reckon, of the 29,000 there last night..

..around 15,000 'knew' we were going to miss Madine's penalty, and probably 10,000 the same with Hoillett's.

I certainly did. Just as when Kenny Miller went up for that one to win us the League Cup !

Re: So I reckon, of the 29,000 there last night..

So 50% guessed 1 way on a 50/50 chance and 50% guessed the other.

It's just too perfect.

Even though the conversion rate for penalties is over 80%.

I was afraid we'd miss both. But if you had asked me to put money on it I would have bet we'd have scored. As would the majority I suspect.

Ask yourself this: Did you cheer when we were awarded those penalties? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..around 15,000 'knew' we were going to miss Madine's penalty, and probably 10,000 the same with Hoillett's.

I certainly did. Just as when Kenny Miller went up for that one to win us the League Cup !
    That was the capacity by the time both penalties were given

I wasn’t surprised Madine missed but was very surprised Holiet did

I was surprised Madine took it the way he did. Put enough power on it and you got fair chance of it going in.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I wasn’t surprised Madine missed but was very surprised Holiet did
    This. I have a good sixth sense about players about to miss a penalty, I saved more than I let in over 20 years in goal. I was shocked at the decision that Madine, no goal, low on confidence took the first, short run up, no conviction. I was convinced that Junior would score the 2nd. Personally I would have chosen Pilks to take the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    This. I have a good sixth sense about players about to miss a penalty, I saved more than I let in over 20 years in goal. I was shocked at the decision that Madine, no goal, low on confidence took the first, short run up, no conviction. I was convinced that Junior would score the 2nd. Personally I would have chosen Pilks to take the 1st.
    Same here. In fact, I've spoken to 30-40 City fans over the last 24 hours and every one of them has questioned why Pilks wasn't given the option.

No mention for Joe Bennett? Cultured left foot and seems a confident player. I reckon he'd have swept them both in.

I was more certain that Rudy and Gerrard were going to miss. You could see the trail of excrement from the halfway line to the penalty box

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    No mention for Joe Bennett? Cultured left foot and seems a confident player. I reckon he'd have swept them both in.
    Did you see where Bennett's "cultured left foot" put that free kick shortly after Wolves scored ?

I was confident Madine was going to score until I saw his almost non existent run up - I knew Hoilett was going to miss because, by then, it was Kismet.

Both takers took very short run-ups and didn't look confident at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    That was the capacity by the time both penalties were given
    Rubbish. Hardly anyone had left by the end of the game. Stands were nearly full and players/manager given an excellent round of applause at the end. Thats how you back your team who are fighting for promotion - perhaps you should take a lesson from it.

Madine had taken two penalties for Bolton before Christmas and scored both of them (one against Etheridge). So why people, with hindsight, are saying they were confident he would miss is beyond me. He didnt 'miss' anyway - the goalie made a good save - end of.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Did you see where Bennett's "cultured left foot" put that free kick shortly after Wolves scored ?

I was confident Madine was going to score until I saw his almost non existent run up - I knew Hoilett was going to miss because, by then, it was Kismet.
    Didn't Neves shunt his first free kick over the bar?

I celebrated like we were about to win the game for both penalties. I honestly didn't see us missing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why would Madine have been low on confidence? He probably is now like, but why would he have been before?

Agree Pilks should have taken it. Also agree with Jamie when he said Madine should have taken the second.

Madine should have taken the second, didn't Bamba march over to Hoilett and hand him the ball? Why? Nothing about Hoilett says to me that he's the type of player to score a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Madine should have taken the second, didn't Bamba march over to Hoilett and hand him the ball? Why? Nothing about Hoilett says to me that he's the type of player to score a penalty
    What is Bamba doing shouting the odds anyway? No disrespect, he's a great player for us, but let's leave who takes a penalty to the ones that want to take a bloody penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What is Bamba doing shouting the odds anyway? No disrespect, he's a great player for us, but let's leave who takes a penalty to the ones that want to take a bloody penalty.
    Exactly. Hoilett didn't look confident to me

I thought Madine should have had the 2nd. If you are confident enough for the first surely you are relishing the chance to put it right for the 2nd.

I thought Pilkington would have taken the first but I wonder if he played with Ruddy at Norwich and didn't fancy it.