+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Little Birds - Inspiring Song or Defeatist Dirge ?

Three Little Birds - Inspiring Song or Defeatist Dirge ?

I always thought that, apart from baiting the opposition fans, the main reason for singing/chanting ought to be to encourage the team on the pitch to greater things. Does this song do this ? The song is of a moderate tempo and hardly, in my view, inspiring. Are the City players supposed to pause for a moment and take comfort from the thoughtful lyrics when it is being sung ? When we were 2 down against Man City the song broke out and the away fans gleefully joined in. After all, they had nothing to worry about so it seemed to backfire a bit. Polite and reverential renderings of this song never seem to me to be the sort of catalyst that the team needs when they are losing.

Re: Three Little Birds - Inspiring Song or Defeatist Dirge ?

I felt relaxed on both occasions.

I then passed the Dutchie (Kutchie) to my left hand side.

Bring back our old ditty "Get into 'em, F*ck 'em up"

I think it’s a emotional pledge to our club , and that whatever happens win or lose. Everything will be alright. I think in this day and age of win at all costs and if we lose we are rubbish , yet if we win we are amazing, the notion of “the club” is lost.

As Warnock says , we keep going , if we don’t go up automatically , we give the playoffs a good go , if not then we give the league a go next year.

I love it, and we did go quite hard after that, winning two penalties... not the singers fault those pens got ****ed up.

In complete contrast to the song itself, the way we do it, it’s a down beat dirge. The tempo it’s sung at along with the slow drum beat makes it sound like a bloody funeral march. “Bring out your dead”! Depressing.

Defeatist. Once that song comes on, it's like saying, oh well, we've lost this but everything will be alright. I hate the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I think it’s a emotional pledge to our club , and that whatever happens win or lose. Everything will be alright. I think in this day and age of win at all costs and if we lose we are rubbish , yet if we win we are amazing, the notion of “the club” is lost.

As Warnock says , we keep going , if we don’t go up automatically , we give the playoffs a good go , if not then we give the league a go next year.
    At the final whistle, this would work.

First Team

Never quite understood the point of it.
    Never a big singer but the "C'mon City" chant was the best covers all situations song for me

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Never a big singer but the "C'mon City" chant was the best covers all situations song for me
    I like it.

In contrast I always think the c'mon City one is a bit critical

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Come on City was great, used to sing it at kick off.

Three Little Birds is shit. As are all the Sloop Jon B chants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I like it.

In contrast I always think the c'mon City one is a bit critical
    The C’mon City song to the tune of Auld Lang Syne is a sign that all is not well and the crowd are concerned but at least there is a sense of urgency about it and is sung with a degree of enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The C’mon City song to the tune of Auld Lang Syne is a sign that all is not well and the crowd are concerned but at least there is a sense of urgency about it and is sung with a degree of enthusiasm
    My favourite is 'You are my Cardiff '

That was absolutely booming out early on at Fridays game

What about "You're going to get your ****ing heads kicked in"?

Usually sang right after the opposition had gone in front. In hindsight, was it defeatist?

First time I can remember it being sang was at the Palace Semi Final when it seemed appropriate because it was a tense game with a huge prize at the end of it for one side and we had been the better team throughout - it was saying we're going to win and we did, but I'm not sure why it got sung against Man City and on Friday.

I thought it sent a message to the players, just calm down and it will all be alright.

I always thought that, apart from baiting the opposition fans, the main reason for singing/chanting ought to be to encourage the team on the pitch to greater things. Does this song do this ? The song is of a moderate tempo and hardly, in my view, inspiring. Are the City players supposed to pause for a moment and take comfort from the thoughtful lyrics when it is being sung ? When we were 2 down against Man City the song broke out and the away fans gleefully joined in. After all, they had nothing to worry about so it seemed to backfire a bit. Polite and reverential renderings of this song never seem to me to be the sort of catalyst that the team needs when they are losing.
    It's an Inspiring Song of course!! Written by the late, great Robert Nesta Marley, or Bob Marley as he is known as. Marley never ever wrote one defeatist song in his entire life!

And even if you don't like it, it is still a thousand zillion times better than any "You Jack Barsteward" or anti English stuff (especially when we have had so many English players playing for us over the years ffs) chanted and sung by our more moronic chavvie element

Rubbish song. The best football chants are short, fast and aggressive.

When we sing it, its defeatist and pessimistic, so 100% appropriate for our fanbase

My heart sinks when I hear it

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not a fan of “sunshine on leith” which hibs sing ?

Men of Harlech is a slow song but when sung before a game with gusto is excellent I think.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    First time I can remember it being sang was at the Palace Semi Final when it seemed appropriate because it was a tense game with a huge prize at the end of it for one side and we had been the better team throughout - it was saying we're going to win and we did, but I'm not sure why it got sung against Man City and on Friday.
    Made sense on Friday, or any time now actually because it's saying don't worry we're going to go up automatically. Not sure why it was sung at Man City but I joined in because I like it. That shit refs one on the other hand, I hate that one. Just makes us sound moany and it's sung for the slightest decision against us even if it was correct

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don't mind it as it's easy to get going, any noise is a bonus. I agree with short so.omw songs though they are the best way to create noise and an atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It's an Inspiring Song of course!! Written by the late, great Robert Nesta Marley, or Bob Marley as he is known as. Marley never ever wrote one defeatist song in his entire life!

And even if you don't like it, it is still a thousand zillion times better than any "You Jack Barsteward" or anti English stuff (especially when we have had so many English players playing for us over the years ffs) chanted and sung by our more moronic chavvie element
    Bob Marley eh ! Well I never. Who would have believed it ? My point is about context. I never said I didn't like it as a song. Is it going to inspire the City to greater things when sung ? It is not the sort of song that can be sung with gusto and when it is sung it seems to me it doesn't come over as something that is going to get the blood running of the City players. When it is sung during a game when we are 2 down ( as against Man C.) it always seems to me we are saying that we have given up and never mind as we will be back to support you next time.

However, I do agree with you about the anti-Swansea/English stuff. I never thought that knowing what goes on in the Swansea Slums was ever going to get the likes of Kenwyne Jones to pull his finger out and is even more irrelevant when there are no Swansea fans present to goad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Not a fan of “sunshine on leith” which hibs sing ?

Men of Harlech is a slow song but when sung before a game with gusto is excellent I think.
    I’d rather sing about Swansea City visiting the pope

Bob Marley eh ! Well I never. Who would have believed it ? My point is about context. I never said I didn't like it as a song. Is it going to inspire the City to greater things when sung ? It is not the sort of song that can be sung with gusto and when it is sung it seems to me it doesn't come over as something that is going to get the blood running of the City players. When it is sung during a game when we are 2 down ( as against Man C.) it always seems to me we are saying that we have given up and never mind as we will be back to support you next time.

However, I do agree with you about the anti-Swansea/English stuff. I never thought that knowing what goes on in the Swansea Slums was ever going to get the likes of Kenwyne Jones to pull his finger out and is even more irrelevant when there are no Swansea fans present to goad.
    He wont appreciate your tone

Called me all sorts once after misunderstanding one of my posts.
    Ignored the thread once it was pointed out to him, and not so much as an apology off the miserable old fecker