+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bryson

Bryson

Am I the only one who actually likes Bryson? He seems to get a lot of stick but the amount of yards he puts in is unbelievable, maybe Eric or someone can get the stats of the distance he's covered

Re: Bryson

No I do.

Collective groans when he couldn't quite stretch to reach a ball passing through our midfield, same people wouldn't cheer when he intercepted a ball by constantly running around, resulting in a chance created, or the time he did make it and stop a ball passing right through the middle, but they did groan when he dared take a shot.

I remember my mother always shouting at my dad because he was always prepared to give us rows, but wouldn't praise us when we did good.. a long winded way of saying that I think our fans have the right to criticise when they pay to support the team, but ffs try praising the lad when he does well too.

Last year's scapegoat Morrison didn't register a single moan near me when he played a bad pass up the line by the ninian stand..after carrying the ball all the way across the back 4 in front of the 18 yard box. Makes me laugh that we only criticise a few players.

I think he's a good player, some folk dont always take to the bread and butter players who cover all round the pitch, breaking up play , putting in the niggly challenges, he's a good box to box midfielder and he can score.

Agree with the above. He's a 100%-er. Never stops running and has a big heart. However, a midfield involving him and Gunnar needs some balance, as for all their important harrying, tackling and energy, there's a lack of creativity, poise and guile. We missed Grujic on Friday night. Hopefully he'll be back on Tuesday to give the right mix in the middle of the park.

He was brill Friday I just prefer Paterson in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Agree with the above. He's a 100%-er. Never stops running and has a big heart. However, a midfield involving him and Gunnar needs some balance, as for all their important harrying, tackling and energy, there's a lack of creativity, poise and guile. We missed Grujic on Friday night. Hopefully he'll be back on Tuesday to give the right mix in the middle of the park.
    He cuts passing lanes as well, people think he's just running around like an idiot though.

If we are to keep Gunnar in the team it upsets the balance for me.
    Grujic, Patterson and Bryson all know what they are doing in the midfield.
    Not slating Gunnar as he hasn't played badly, but against sheff utd I didn't think we had the control in midfield that Grujic has brought, Gunnar just came in and kind of took over (he's a leader it's what he does I know) but he upset the balance for me, if him and grujic are to play in the same team then for me you need to give then set roles, if gunnar is to patrol the midfield and protect the back 4 then push grujic forward and let all the play go through him.
    I want to see Ralls, Grujic and Patterson personally.

man of the match for me on Friday

I like him. Puts a shift in alright.
    Spedger

I am glad I was not the only one who thought he had a decent game.

I thought he had an excellent match too - his workrate helped contain Wolves and allowed us to get forward too. He's not always been as effective as Friday but he never gives less than 100%.

Warnock's challenge is to figure out quickly how to get our midfield working again.

Legend. He walked out with my boy on Friday night when he was one of the mascots.

I'm in agreement with these posts. Thought Bryson had a good game Friday night and put in one hell of a shift.

He faded late on but with his work rate in the first hour or so was never going to last 90 minutes.

Like him - he's a good player and does a lot of work which some people dont see. A bloke two seats along from me thinks he's useless and groans a). Every time he's on the team sheet b). Every time he gets the ball. Drives me mad.

I thought he had perhaps his best game for us on Friday, but, overall, he's been a disappointment (although the way he dropped down the pecking order at Derby over the previous two seasons offered a clue that we weren't getting the player who won Player of the Year awards at that club in the past). I must say mind that his energy levels are impressive for a thirty one year old and he can still fulfill box to box midfielder duties, but it seems to me that often now he is just too late with his attempted blocks and interceptions.

It's strange what you think of off the cuff while watching games, but once or twice when watching Bryson in matches where he didn't play as well as he did on Friday, I've wondered about him as a kid when playing football is all about getting as many touches on the ball as possible and what he would have thought if you had told him that towards the end of what would turn out to be a good career, he would be covering enormous distances every game, yet having so little time on the ball - my over riding impression of Bryson at City unless his form changes dramatically in the next month will always be of an awful lot of work for so little end product.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought he had perhaps his best game for us on Friday, but, overall, he's been a disappointment (although the way he dropped down the pecking order at Derby over the previous two seasons offered a clue that we weren't getting the player who won Player of the Year awards at that club in the past). I must say mind that his energy levels are impressive for a thirty one year old and he can still fulfill box to box midfielder duties, but it seems to me that often now he is just too late with his attempted blocks and interceptions.

It's strange what you think of off the cuff while watching games, but once or twice when watching Bryson in matches where he didn't play as well as he did on Friday, I've wondered about him as a kid when playing football is all about getting as many touches on the ball as possible and what he would have thought if you had told him that towards the end of what would turn out to be a good career, he would be covering enormous distances every game, yet having so little time on the ball - my over riding impression of Bryson at City unless his form changes dramatically in the next month will always be of an awful lot of work for so little end product.

I agree with you. Overall I think he's been a disappointment. He did have one of his better games against Wolves, however, I think his reading of the game is not as good as it could be, he doesn't seem to anticipate where the ball might be going next (Morrison, on the other hand, is very good at reading the game), he just blindly follows it like a dog chasing his own tail.
    City fans have always liked "triers"and Bryson could never be accused of not trying, his fitness levels are fantasic in all fairness. I just feel he huffs & puffs without ever managing to blow the house down. He had that one cracking goal earlier when he joined us but since then he has never looked like threating to score a goal.

When I watch him he always looks like a player whose playing against a team a few divisions above, like a lower league player who knows he's limited and so will try to make up for it by sheer graft. Whilst it might catch the eye when he's chasing a lost cause, it's usually because the opposition are moving the ball around him in triangles and he's arriving too late.

He's not a terrible signing and he has contributed, but there's just not enough end product with him.