+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warlock's tactical approach against Villa? And who's in the team?

Warlock's tactical approach against Villa? And who's in the team?

Go for it?

Contain 'em?

Hit 'em on the break?

Man-mark Grealish?

Is Paterson fit? Zohore or Madine? Peltier or Manga? Midfield (will Ralls play)?

Re: Warlock's tactical approach against Villa? And who's in the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Go for it?

Contain 'em?

Hit 'em on the break?

Man-mark Grealish?

Is Paterson fit? Zohore or Madine? Peltier or Manga? Midfield (will Ralls play)?

Zohore has to start there's plenty of space behind them I have confidence Bennet and Peltier can keep grealish and Snodgrass quiet

Well I hope he doesnt afford them the respect he gave Wolves last Friday.

We need to get at em like we did Brentford away the other week.

I hope Ralls and Marko are back for this.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well I hope he doesnt afford them the respect he gave Wolves last Friday.

We need to get at em like we did Brentford away the other week.

I hope Ralls and Marko are back for this.
    His tactics against Wolves worked, completely nullified their wing backs, only reason they scored was the fact they had a Portuguese international on free kicks

I have a feeling Warnock would take a draw in this game and bank on us beating fulham points wise in our last 5 games v their last 4.

I can see it being conservative football where he is happy with a point. I hope I'm wrong as I think they are there for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    His tactics against Wolves worked, completely nullified their wing backs, only reason they scored was the fact they had a Portuguese international on free kicks
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Scoring from free kicks is not exclusive to internationls you know. Peter Whittingham did it for years at this level.

Like you said yourself they were nulifying tactics, which reinforces my point that we paid them too much respect and didnt have a go a real go at them until we went a goal behind. 0-0 would have been a fair result.

We changed our whole gameplan to suit the opposition instead of concentrating on what we are good at and let them worry about us. I expected a lot more from a home team, in 2nd place, trying to chase down the league leaders. Patterson out wide and not making his usual marauding runs behind the striker was a prime example of this. Wildschut on the other wind, I dont think he beat his man once.

Like I said originally, I hope he doesnt afford Villa the same respect. They got hammered on the weekend, are in poor form, so lets get at them.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I have a feeling Warnock would take a draw in this game and bank on us beating fulham points wise in our last 5 games v their last 4.

I can see it being conservative football where he is happy with a point. I hope I'm wrong as I think they are there for the taking.
    Dangerous, dangerous tactic. We should be trying to win every game now. We draw and Fulham beat Reading at home and they go above us on goal difference. Psycologically dealing us another huge blow.

We need to get back to bullying teams. We have to play to our strengths so for me that would be solid at the back, winning the ball back in midfield more consistently, being physically stronger than the opposition and using that to our advantage, soaking up the pressure and hitting them on the break. We need to do much better at set pieces than we did against Wolves and we need to get Holliett and Mendez putting pressure on their full backs. Im quite happy giving away possession to Villa and being patient. Playing away from home might actually suit us better, it will be up to Villa to attack us which will hopefully play in to our hands. Seeing Villa against Norwich we should get more chances than we did against Wolves. It will of course be a tough game but I think it will be more evenly matched. Wolves were really strong, best team I have seen this season, we will have a better chance against Villa.

My team would like this..

Etheridge

Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett

Gunnarrson

Ralls Patterson

Holliet Mendez

Zohore

That makes no sense whatsoever. Scoring from free kicks is not exclusive to internationls you know. Peter Whittingham did it for years at this level.

Like you said yourself they were nulifying tactics, which reinforces my point that we paid them too much respect and didnt have a go a real go at them until we went a goal behind. 0-0 would have been a fair result.

We changed our whole gameplan to suit the opposition instead of concentrating on what we are good at and let them worry about us. I expected a lot more from a home team, in 2nd place, trying to chase down the league leaders. Patterson out wide and not making his usual marauding runs behind the striker was a prime example of this. Wildschut on the other wind, I dont think he beat his man once.

Like I said originally, I hope he doesnt afford Villa the same respect. They got hammered on the weekend, are in poor form, so lets get at them.
    I'm pointing out the difference in quality, without that free kick they wouldn't have scored and would have completely justified Warnock's tactics. I felt we'd go on to win the game at half time as we'd been effective at shutting down Wolves.

Their wing backs are vital to the way they play and we restricted that and were looking good going forward after half-time especially when Wildschut moved into a more central position, Paterson's injury was a huge loss to us as he was then replaced by Mendez-Laing, who was shite

Wolves are a very good team, especially at this level. If we'd gone at them I think we'd have been picked off on the break, we saw that when we went hunting the goal when they had that glaring miss towards the end

We still had a fair few chances playing this way in the first half; Wildschut's free kick, Bamba's header from the corner and when Bennett was in one-on-one come to mind

I completely agree with you with regards to Villa though, despite the 4-1 they aren't as good as Wolves and are in poor form, we should be able to get at them more than Wolves, if Zohore fancies it he could have a field day in behind with with John Terry at centre back

Now Warnock has to use all his tactical nous.

I think his obvious ploy to nullify the threat from the Wolves full backs worked - but is it enough to man-mark players out of the game? Inevitably it diminishes our attacking threat. Pat, for example was seldom anyway near the Wolves penalty area.

Do we trust Warlock to get it right tomorrow? I think it will be more of the same, with a push for a victory in the last quarter - entrusted to the strutting Madine.

A draw then.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm pointing out the difference in quality, without that free kick they wouldn't have scored and would have completely justified Warnock's tactics. I felt we'd go on to win the game at half time as we'd been effective at shutting down Wolves.

Their wing backs are vital to the way they play and we restricted that and were looking good going forward after half-time especially when Wildschut moved into a more central position, Paterson's injury was a huge loss to us as he was then replaced by Mendez-Laing, who was shite

Wolves are a very good team, especially at this level. If we'd gone at them I think we'd have been picked off on the break, we saw that when we went hunting the goal when they had that glaring miss towards the end

We still had a fair few chances playing this way in the first half; Wildschut's free kick, Bamba's header from the corner and when Bennett was in one-on-one come to mind

I completely agree with you with regards to Villa though, despite the 4-1 they aren't as good as Wolves and are in poor form, we should be able to get at them more than Wolves, if Zohore fancies it he could have a field day in behind with with John Terry at centre back
    Wolves are a good team at this level, im not disputing that, I just think we changed our own game too much in order to nulify them. The quick start they made probably didnt help, they come flying right out of the traps.

Lets not forget we had a right go at them in the away game, paying them a lot less respect than we did on Friday night, and had greater reward.

Also, our set pieces were bloody awful on Friday, so the few times we did get in really dangerous territory we wasted them. That Joe Bennett free kick just after they scored just about summed up the quality of our set pieces.

I agree. We changed our tactics far too dramatically for that game. Hope we get back to what we been doing. After all , it’s been working.

Wolves are a good team at this level, im not disputing that, I just think we changed our own game too much in order to nulify them. The quick start they made probably didnt help, they come flying right out of the traps.

Lets not forget we had a right go at them in the away game, paying them a lot less respect than we did on Friday night, and had greater reward.

Also, our set pieces were bloody awful on Friday, so the few times we did get in really dangerous territory we wasted them. That Joe Bennett free kick just after they scored just about summed up the quality of our set pieces.
    That free kick from Bennett was awful, which was strange from him as he has decent delivery, perhaps it was because he had to a wait for a while to take it