+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of Cardiff City v Aston Villa matches.

Six decades of Cardiff City v Aston Villa matches.

Re: Six decades of Cardiff City v Aston Villa matches.

60s. Pat McMahon (Hard question. He was more of a 70s player.)

10s Ben Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    60s. Pat McMahon (Hard question. He was more of a 70s player.)
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    10s Ben Wilson
    Correct.

80's - Neal Cooper

70's (Guessing here) Frank Parsons, John Hickton and Willie Anderson - . Penalties scored but disallowed then retaken penalty missed ?

00's Craig Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    80's - Neal Cooper

70's (Guessing here) Frank Parsons, John Hickton and Willie Anderson - . Penalties scored but disallowed then retaken penalty missed ?
    Cooper is correct and the answer to the 70s is that Frank Parsons saved penalties in both games - you've got the takers right. Parsons' record for saving penalties was pretty good when you consider he didn't play too many matches.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    00's Craig Gardner
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cooper is correct and the answer to the 70s is that Frank Parsons saved penalties in both games - you've got the takers right. Parsons' record for saving penalties was pretty good when you consider he didn't play too many matches.
    As for Parsons it was the rest of his goalkeeping that was the problem, The Middlesbrough game ruined him, i was junior in the Canton Stand for that game and despite the goals by Woodruff and King I still have nightmares. His next game in the League was at Orient the next season, we lost 4-0, then in the last game of 71/2 he played and we lost 3-0 at QPR when he was injured and Ian Gibson went in goal. he had 5 games the following season, we won tone and lost 4! The last one 4-0. I think he went to Wokingham after that and had a spell at Fulham. I hadn't realised he was a Welsh U-23 international until recently. 17 League games , 27 goals conceded (plus - 4-0 defeat in the League Cup) , I was delighted when Jim Eadie took over.

You stumped me on the 70s and 80s questions this time, and they're the one Is can usually get.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    As for Parsons it was the rest of his goalkeeping that was the problem, The Middlesbrough game ruined him, i was junior in the Canton Stand for that game and despite the goals by Woodruff and King I still have nightmares. His next game in the League was at Orient the next season, we lost 4-0, then in the last game of 71/2 he played and we lost 3-0 at QPR when he was injured and Ian Gibson went in goal. he had 5 games the following season, we won tone and lost 4! The last one 4-0. I think he went to Wokingham after that and had a spell at Fulham. I hadn't realised he was a Welsh U-23 international until recently. 17 League games , 27 goals conceded (plus - 4-0 defeat in the League Cup) , I was delighted when Jim Eadie took over.

You stumped me on the 70s and 80s questions this time, and they're the one Is can usually get.
    I didn't know he'd played for Wales Under 21s either. I was at the Orient match and I think it was an example of what you mean about him being ruined by the Middlesbrough experience - from memory, he should have saved one of the Orient goals, but didn't play that badly, it was just by then his reputation with City fans was so bad.

90's Aaron Lescott, Joleons brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    90's Aaron Lescott, Joleons brother.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

I'm pretty sure Frank Parsons came from Buckinghamshire and didn't play for Wales. His contemporary namesake John Parsons may have played for Wales at some level however.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was obviously reading too much into the question !