+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: West Brom's Safe Standing proposal rejected

West Brom's Safe Standing proposal rejected

Re: West Brom's Safe Standing proposal rejected

That's a shame.

FFS I had high hopes for this. It could still happen in the future, but it'll take a long time. The majority of clubs support it, many of the fans want it, and it's worked fantastically well in Celtic Park.

Idiotic decision. Regardless of the size of your stadium or the size of the crowd, it’s not safe to stand at football unless your team is playing in league 1 or below?

Government , full of shit , no clue

There wouldn’t be much of a safety issue if every ground went back to full standing imo.
    Most fans now have no idea how to get a a bit of atmosphere going and a bit of a bounce. Fans are now more interested in taking pics on their mobiles!

Fans standing in seated isles is far more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Idiotic decision. Regardless of the size of your stadium or the size of the crowd, it’s not safe to stand at football unless your team is playing in league 1 or below?
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    There wouldn’t be much of a safety issue if every ground went back to full standing imo.
    Most fans now have no idea how to get a a bit of atmosphere going and a bit of a bounce. Fans are now more interested in taking pics on their mobiles!
    Bollocks, the atmosphere was great on Friday night

That’s the rediculous thing. It’s safe to be packed into a terrace in league 1, even the championship in some cases. It’s safe to be like friggin sardines in crowds of 80,000 at festivals. Not safe for a proper area at a football ground

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Fans standing in seated isles is far more dangerous.
    This is the main issue I think. While less people will die in a seated stadium I've seen more accidents with people falling over seats than I ever saw when standing on either the Bob Bank or Grange End

A load of Scousers were directed into the wrong area in 1989..nothing to do with unsafe standing..just bad policing..and 29 yrs later the ***** still won't consider thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bollocks, the atmosphere was great on Friday night
    One off.

One off.
    Wales games are great as well

Perhaps the atmosphere would be better if the Ninian Stand actually joined in

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    A load of Scousers were directed into the wrong area in 1989..nothing to do with unsafe standing..just bad policing..and 29 yrs later the ***** still won't consider thinking about it.
    It was to do with unsafe standing due to the pens, had the fencing at the front and sides not been there and it essentially been one large terrace chances are the tragedy wouldn't have happened, so that form of standing was indeed unsafe. That said this decision is the wrong one IMO and a backwards step for fan experience in stadiums

Can't see it happening under this government.
    They have little interest in the wishes of the average football fan, and more importantly they don't trust us not to start rioting within 0.01 seconds of standing being introduced then they would get the blame.
    The only way I can see it changing is with an orchestrated press campaign to convince the MPs that it'll play out well for them if they do it and bag them a few votes

Need a football mad MP to push this, not sure if there are any though

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Need a football mad MP to push this, not sure if there are any though
    Not an MP, but Alistair Campbell has campaigned on this for a number of years. Not sure he has much influence these days though.

Fences, walls & late old firm equalsers have caused the tragedies in my life time from what I can remember, not standing on terraces.

There seemed to be some real progress being made on this. It’s got huge support from fans and most clubs, even Liverpool fans voted overwhelmingly in favour of it. I was really confident that we would see safe standing pilots very soon so I’m not sure what’s happened to put the brakes on it.
    This sports minister just seems to have simply dismissed the idea without giving any explanation.