+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: ASTON VILLA 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

FT: ASTON VILLA 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Another tough test for the Bluebirds.

More...

C:WindowsTempphp2DFC.tmpAston Villa's chances of winning automatic promotion from the Sky Bet Championship would disappear if they fail to topple second-placed Cardiff at Villa Park on Tuesday night, live on Sky Sports.

Steve Bruce's men crashed to a 3-1 defeat at Norwich on Saturday, meaning they failed to make up ground on Cardiff following the Bluebirds' 1-0 home defeat to Wolves less than 24 hours earlier. Bruce looks unlikely to make major changes, with Jonathan Kodjia seemingly set for another appearance off the bench.

And there will be little time for Villa to recover, whatever the outcome against Cardiff, as they face Leeds in another key Championship clash on Friday. Cardiff's biggest battle could be a mental one as they look to pick themselves up after missing two stoppage-time penalties that cost them dearly against Wolves.

Midfielders Aron Gunnarson and Callum Paterson are set to be involved - Gunnarson is continuing his comeback from injury, while Paterson took a blow to his chest in the Wolves game.

And Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock could decide on a recall for Joe Ralls, who is returning to full fitness and might get an opportunity against Villa. Cardiff are nine points behind Wolves, but two ahead of in-form Fulham with a game in hand.

Opta stats

Aston Villa have won 12 of their last 14 home matches against Cardiff in all competitions, drawing the other two.

The Bluebirds have won their last two Championship matches against Villa, winning 1-0 in January 2017 and 3-0 in August this season.

After a run of 10 wins in 12 Championship games, the Villans have won just one of their last five in the league (D1 L3).

Neil Warnock has lost all six of his away Football League meetings with Steve Bruce, with all six coming with different clubs (Bury, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Crystal Palace, Rotherham and Cardiff).

Robert Snodgrass has scored in three of his last five league matches against Cardiff (three goals), but hasn't ended on the winning side in any of those games (D1 L2).

Cardiff are winless in two Championship games, having won eight in a row previously.

Match officials

Referee: JEREMY SIMPSON
    Assistants: Michael George and Shaun Hudson
    Fourth Official: Andrew Madley

Re: ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

With this ref I think it will be count the sendings off.

Aston villa 1-3 Bluebirds

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Aston villa 1-3 Bluebirds
    Now wouldn't that be nice , I see a draw coming our way.

Grujic and Paterson back is great news.

No John Terry however is bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    No John Terry however is bad news.
    Agreed - he'd have been too slow to cope with Zohore...

Aston Villa: Johnstone; Elmohamady, Jedinak, Chester, Taylor; Snodgrass, Bjarnason, Hourinhane, Adomah; Grealish, Grabban.

Subs: Mark Bunn, Chris Samba, Glenn Wheelan, Henri Lansbury, Josh Onomah, Scott Hogan, Jonathan Kodjia

Cardiff City: Etheridge: Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Grujic, Gunnarsson, Paterson; Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore.

Subs: Murphy, Traore, Manga, Bryson, J.Ward, Pilkington, Madine.

Tonight's game is the most I've avoided thinking about ever. I feel sick. I hope the players are more up for this than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Tonight's game is the most I've avoided thinking about ever. I feel sick. I hope the players are more up for this than I am.
    Same. I was so pumped for Wolves. Such a contrast to tonight.

Gotta think though, the performance was there and we should have had a point no matter what anyone says.

Plus Grujic back tonight. I think that's huge. Hope him and Gunnar gel. I feel like they could do with a Bryson alongside them rather than Paterson. But in Neil we trust.

Come on City!!

0-0

I didn't realise James Chester is a midgit

No Terry, no Taylor.

That's our two best players missing then.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    No Terry, no Taylor.

That's our two best players missing then.
    But the good news is Glenn Whelan comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Same. I was so pumped for Wolves. Such a contrast to tonight.

Gotta think though, the performance was there and we should have had a point no matter what anyone says.

Plus Grujic back tonight. I think that's huge. Hope him and Gunnar gel. I feel like they could do with a Bryson alongside them rather than Paterson. But in Neil we trust.

Come on City!!
    I feel the same. Just want tonite over!

FFS!

Fulham a goal up

Fulham 1-0, Cardiff down to 3rd!

City down to 3rd in the live table as things stand.

I was dreading tonite

Nasty stamp on the turf there from Bennett. Caused poor old Grealish to trip himself up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Nasty stamp on the turf there from Bennett. Caused poor old Grealish to trip himself up.
    Grealish is a horrible shit of a player. Utter cheat. Snodgrass I seem to remember also has serious issues staying on his feet, so we need to be careful and hope the ref is wise to it.

This shower of shit are there for the taking and we can’t string two passes together.

Technically we are shocking

Hoilett very quiet tonight

Calm down Sol