+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anti-Welsh article from the Sunday Times

Anti-Welsh article from the Sunday Times

Rod Liddle is well documented as being a ****, but for the Sunday Times to print this is disgraceful. Swap "Wales/Welsh" for any other group and he'd be ostracised, imagine the reaction if he'd written something about Jews...

Although I suppose its just a "joke"...

Re: Anti-Welsh article from the Sunday Times

I found it quite funny. Life is much easier and more fun when you learn to not be offended by anything

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Rod Liddle is well documented as being a ****, but for the Sunday Times to print this is disgraceful. Swap "Wales/Welsh" for any other group and he'd be ostracised, imagine the reaction if he'd written something about Jews...

I wonder if those who adopted the anti-semitism cause will be in to show their disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I found it quite funny. Life is much easier and more fun when you learn to not be offended by anything
    Same here. The Welsh aren't really discriminated* and it is obviously a bit of humour.

*I've lived in various locations in England for almost 40 years and with a Welsh accent

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same here. The Welsh aren't really discriminated* and it is obviously a bit of humour.

*I've lived in various locations in England for almost 40 years and with a Welsh accent
    I can go along with not being bothered about it but if you actually found that funny then I'm a bit worried about you two.

I know humour's subjective, but really?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I can go along with not being bothered about it but if you actually found that funny then I'm a bit worried about you two.
    It really bothers me that if another group in society gets an article like this written about them, there's an outcry, but the Welsh just have to "deal with it", "take a joke" etc

It really bothers me that if another group in society gets an article like this written about them, there's an outcry, but the Welsh just have to "deal with it", "take a joke" etc
    The reason being that some minorities are genuinely discriminated against. And as for Welsh football fans being so sensitive when there is so much anti-English vective on the terraces that is indeed ironic.

The reason being that some minorities are genuinely discriminated against. And as for Welsh football fans being so sensitive when there is so much anti-English vective on the terraces that is indeed ironic.
    I know what you mean, the "England run from Russia" song is ridiculous and just shit to be honest

I'd still argue that its different to a national newspaper printing this about Wales though

You have to read his article with a tounge in the cheek view, he writes some good footy articles .

Started work on the Echo and Western Mail ,wrote speeches for the Labour party, used to be a card carrying member of the Labour party until he got thrown out in 2016 after a blog about , 'antisemitism as visceral for many Muslims' .(Seems he spotted something early than most .)

I read his book, (Selfish Whining Monkeys: How We Ended Up Greedy, Narcissistic and Unhappy) had me chuckling , and then annoyed , at times , strange fellow.

He also has a bite at the P.O.W . as well , in case anyone missed it.

This article was clearly tongue-in-cheek, and playing the victim doesn't help anything, I'm afraid. There's nothing wrong with being able to laugh at ourselves and at others.

My English mates call me a sheepshagger. Should we be "offended" by that? One of my English PC-loving mates even asked me why I'm not offended: he thinks I ought to be. There's an entire grievance industry out there with an army of people wanting to be offended by anything and everything trivial, don't join their ranks.

There are far more important things in life to worry about, than a few paragraphs having a lighthearted poke at us sheepshag- uhh I mean Welsh.

This article was clearly tongue-in-cheek, and playing the victim doesn't help anything, I'm afraid. There's nothing wrong with being able to laugh at ourselves and at others.

My English mates call me a sheepshagger. Should we be "offended" by that? One of my English PC-loving mates even asked me why I'm not offended: he thinks I ought to be. There's an entire grievance industry out there with an army of people wanting to be offended by anything and everything trivial, don't join their ranks.

There are far more important things in life to worry about, than a few paragraphs having a lighthearted poke at us sheepshag- uhh I mean Welsh.
    I'm not offended by the article itself, its just the double standards that annoy me. I knew the reaction I'd get was "its a joke", but other people don't have to put up with it

If I wrote an article in the Sunday Times calling all Bristolians the result of incest and that they live in a backwards, third world society I'd be ostracised and rightly so. In fact I doubt the editor would allow it to be printed

I'm not offended by the article itself, its just the double standards that annoy me. I knew the reaction I'd get was "its a joke", but other people don't have to put up with it

If I wrote an article in the Sunday Times calling all Bristolians the result of incest and that they live in a backwards, third world society I'd be ostracised and rightly so. In fact I doubt the editor would allow it to be printed
    The article isn't quite in the same league of mentioning incest, is it?

Absolutely spot on , all I have heard all my life in Wales is anti English resentment , bordering on racism , never mind Liddle , we have a land full of Liddle's , spilling out equally nasty comments about the English every day .