+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Back luck, inspired keeper or poor finishing?

Back luck, inspired keeper or poor finishing?

We didn't play well but we still had plenty of chances to win the game comfortably

Re: Back luck, inspired keeper or poor finishing?

A combination of all three. Villa were no outstanding outfit but their keeper kept them in the game. I also got tired of hearing about the Grealish wonder strike - it was a good effort that went in off the post. He had the luck of the green. Mendez-Lang's was also a good effort also hitting the post but came out - unlucky. I was disappointed that City couldn't string together more than 3 or 4 passes though and the hoof-ball approach was well in evidence. 9 times out of 10 the ball went to a Villa player. In fact it was depressing how often Villa seemed to get the return ball even if they gave it away in a mistimed pass!

Yes we are still in it but I'm not sure how their confidence has been knocked by these last two games. Will they be up for a play-off dog fight? Warnock keeps saying they are a great bunch of lads and he can't ask for anything more from them - he may have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    A combination of all three. Villa were no outstanding outfit but their keeper kept them in the game. I also got tired of hearing about the Grealish wonder strike - it was a good effort that went in off the post. He had the luck of the green. Mendez-Lang's was also a good effort also hitting the post but came out - unlucky. I was disappointed that City couldn't string together more than 3 or 4 passes though and the hoof-ball approach was well in evidence. 9 times out of 10 the ball went to a Villa player. In fact it was depressing how often Villa seemed to get the return ball even if they gave it away in a mistimed pass!

Yes we are still in it but I'm not sure how their confidence has been knocked by these last two games. Will they be up for a play-off dog fight? Warnock keeps saying they are a great bunch of lads and he can't ask for anything more from them - he may have to!
    Agree 100%.
    When we hit the post, I thought it was going to be "one of those games" - and it was!

I agree. One of them nights. Certainly had our chances to win it.

The way people are critical of our players to the point of saying their are rubbish is incredibly annoying. I’m pretty sure of one of those chances had gone in there would be no mention of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I agree. One of them nights. Certainly had our chances to win it.

The way people are critical of our players to the point of saying their are rubbish is incredibly annoying. I’m pretty sure of one of those chances had gone in there would be no mention of it.
    It could easily have been 3-1 or even 4-1. That might have been papering over the cracks but at this stage of the season I'd be happy with that.

We were the better team last night but lost to a freak goal and a number of freak saves.

It happens, we’re still very competitive albeit looking as if a few key players have run out of legs.

Fascinating end of the season coming up that is taking its toll on my nerves...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    We were the better team last night but lost to a freak goal and a number of freak saves.

It happens, we’re still very competitive albeit looking as if a few key players have run out of legs.

Yep, agreed with this. I see so much talk of bottling it, but we've lost to wonder goals and been unlucky not to score ourselves in our two toughest games in the run-in. That's not the same as losing 6-0 to Preston.

A tale of so many ifs - if Hoilett's penalty had been millimetres lower we would have got a deserved point against Wolves. If Mendez-Laing's shot was a few millimetres closer to the goal we would have lead at Villa Park. If Grealish's excellent volley was a few millimetres away from Etheridge it would have hit the post and rebounded to safety.

It could also be said that if the Derby match had gone ahead, we could have been on the brink of automatic promotion.

Yes, we can talk about performances, but they don't matter at this stage of the season. Results matter. Ultimately, when it's mattered the most, we've been millimetres away from 4 points in the last two games. Instead we've had none. Lady luck has generally smiled at us this season I think. It's deserted us totally since we had a huge slice of it at Bramall Lane.

I still think there are lots of twists and turns to come this season. It's still in our hands even if it doesn't feel like it.

Sitting here in Villa land their unanimous view is that they got away with one. Johnston kept them in it. They're convinced that they will fail in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Sitting here in Villa land their unanimous view is that they got away with one. Johnston kept them in it. They're convinced that they will fail in the playoffs
    Which they will, bang average team.

Think Zohore's miss at 0-0 was crucial as well. We did get a bit of luck in the second half when they missed that one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A tale of so many ifs - if Hoilett's penalty had been millimetres lower we would have got a deserved point against Wolves. If Mendez-Laing's shot was a few millimetres closer to the goal we would have lead at Villa Park. If Grealish's excellent volley was a few millimetres away from Etheridge it would have hit the post and rebounded to safety.

It could also be said that if the Derby match had gone ahead, we could have been on the brink of automatic promotion.

Yes, we can talk about performances, but they don't matter at this stage of the season. Results matter. Ultimately, when it's mattered the most, we've been millimetres away from 4 points in the last two games. Instead we've had none. Lady luck has generally smiled at us this season I think. It's deserted us totally since we had a huge slice of it at Bramall Lane.

I still think there are lots of twists and turns to come this season. It's still in our hands even if it doesn't feel like it.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

Same here, a bit of depression may be setting in too.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Same here, a bit of depression may be setting in too.
    Spedger
    I've become resigned to the fact it's not our year after the last two games. Fate has built up our hopes simply to knock them back as spectacularly as it can. Seriously - missing 2 pens in injury time and then those freak saves last night. That's not normal...