+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers going down the City

Re: Who remembers going down the City

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes clearly remember band of gold blasting out .
    I remember hearing “Band of Gold “ when my dad first took me down as an 8 year old .at start of 70/71 season ....and Elvis Presley “The Wonder of You”..... I remember Radio Ninian, Golden Goal and I am sure they used to have boards on the walls around the pitch with the alphabet where they put the half time scores ? . You needed a programme so you could work out who was game A,B,C etc.....?

There was a supplement in the programme “ League Review”or something like that ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    And the only way you could find out the latest scores from other games was to wait for the PA to read them out at half time and full time? Lol!!
    This is the record I alway remember from the early 60's

Plus, what about the fella putting the scores around the walls of the pitch, on those tin squares.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    In the 69/70 season the only songs they played on the PA were Freda Payne's Band of gold and the Beatles The long and winding road. Every time I hear those songs it takes me back to that era, happy days.
    Going back before that the record I seem to recall was always played was “If I Had a Hammer” by Trini Lopez. The records were played from Radio Ninian at the corner of the Grange End. I think the name of the person who ran it was Glyn Potter. Also the hospital broadcast commentaries were made there.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Who remembers waiting for the video printer to reveal how City had done at an away game? It went something like Birmingham City 1 Cardiff City stutter, beep, stutter, beep nil. You just bloody knew it.
    And then David Coleman would say " Let's leave the teleprinter now"!

I can remember when half-time scores were displayed on boards around the ground. In the match programme the day's fixtures each had a letter assigned to it so you could link the scores to the correct match. A 0-0, B 1-0, C 1-2 etc

Did anybody win Golden Goal? I never did.

As for results, it was as said above outside Radiocraft or reading the Pink in the Kings Castle with a pint of Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I could be so good for you - Dennis Waterman
    That's the one I remember

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Did anybody win Golden Goal? I never did.

As for results, it was as said above outside Radiocraft or reading the Pink in the Kings Castle with a pint of Trophy
    A work colleague of mine won the Golden Goal. Except there wasn’t a Golden Goal, he had bought the 0-0 ticket an spent a very anxious game willing the ball to stay out of the net which it did.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Pastie and a scalding hot cup of bovril from the stall at the corner between the bob bank and grange end

Leaning back against the newly painted sky blue crush barriers on the Bob Bank all match to realise they hadn't dried properly when I left...

The 4 pylons lit up at night announcing there was a game on

The noise from the Grange End when everybody was stamping on the wooden floor and banging on the back of the stand

The mounds of rubbish under the Grange End that you saw as you came in and left.

The ladder up to the TV gantry above the Bob Bank

I'm so old I can remember watching the reserves in the Football Combination on a Saturday afternoon and waiting for the tannoy to announce the first team score. It was a proper reserve league then with always a chance of well known players appearing who were coming back from injury or dropped. The whole ground used to be open and there were decent crowds if we were playing one of the 'big' teams such as Arsenal etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I can remember when half-time scores were displayed on boards around the ground. In the match programme the day's fixtures each had a letter assigned to it so you could link the scores to the correct match. A 0-0, B 1-0, C 1-2 etc
    And to think this idea led to the invention of computers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Yep and I still miss the Football Echo.
    Do you remember they would be delivered to your local newsagents late in the evening and some came around the pubs ( not sure if they were the dodgy ones ), there were so few though in the latter years you had to be on yer toes , I used to wait outside the top shops in Llanrumney ,so I didn't miss out , and on game days outside the newsagents by Askey's ,as they had the first batch most .

Wasn't the signing off Steve Thompson on the last Echo in 96 ,first printed 1919 .

Im blubbering now

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Pastie and a scalding hot cup of bovril from the stall at the corner between the bob bank and grange end
    I think you’ll find that was OXO

You’d also be able to get a pack of Chipmunk OXO crisps

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think you’ll find that was OXO

You’d also be able to get a pack of Chipmunk OXO crisps
    Argh Oxo , pie in hand , trying to pee in the top end of the Bob bank bogs

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A work colleague of mine won the Golden Goal. Except there wasn’t a Golden Goal, he had bought the 0-0 ticket an spent a very anxious game willing the ball to stay out of the net which it did.
    I’m sure they used to put the golden goal time on the front of the announcers hut I’m the comer between the Grandstand and Grange End....

Remember those pinkish (sometimes bluey green as well) tickets you had to tear open along the edges to see the goal time you had...

Why don’t they do that anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Pies and pasties by Stan Thomas of Merthyr if I remember correctly.

Remember spot the ball ( not the one in the bogs )

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Leaning back against the newly painted sky blue crush barriers on the Bob Bank all match to realise they hadn't dried properly when I left...

The 4 pylons lit up at night announcing there was a game on

The noise from the Grange End when everybody was stamping on the wooden floor and banging on the back of the stand

The mounds of rubbish under the Grange End that you saw as you came in and left.

The ladder up to the TV gantry above the Bob Bank
    I remember that the top half of the canton stand was also made of wood. The noise the fans made was deafening

I sat on the first concrete row (row P)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Who remembers waiting for the video printer to reveal how City had done at an away game? It went something like Birmingham City 1 Cardiff City stutter, beep, stutter, beep nil. You just bloody knew it.
    I remember the teleprinter. The camera looking at the teleprinter while the machine typed out the scores.

Ahhh! Villa fans trying to set fire to the Grange end, few years later throwing fung-fu stars & oranges loaded with razor blades .... those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I could be so good for you - Dennis Waterman

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    And the only way you could find out the latest scores from other games was to wait for the PA to read them out at half time and full time? Lol!!
    Before the PA boards were placed up against the bob bank wall by the pitch, only trouble was if you were on it you couldn’t see the scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Ahhh! Villa fans trying to set fire to the Grange end, few years later throwing fung-fu stars & oranges loaded with razor blades .... those were the days
    Was that the game the silly feckers fell through the roof of the Grange?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I remember being in the Bob bank one week. Can’t remember who we were playing and I felt something hit the back of my leg. Look down and some fu*ker had thrown a big brass compass. (The one that you put a pencil in to draw circles)!!
    Another time. At the infamous 3-3 game with the Jacks, there was an old scruffy guy ( he made Wurzel Gummidge look like man at C&A) standing near me all game. He kept shouting “ that defence stinks!!”. When Buchanon scored the famous equaliser, the old guy turned round amongst all the celebrations, grabbed me, and as he’s shouting (told you that defence fu*king stinks”) his false teeth shot out, hit me on the shoulder, and they got trampled on in the frenzy!