+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hungary

Hungary

Apparently the ruling party have recently closed down the last remaining free press not effectively run by the government.
    That isn't a good situation. I wonder if they continue down that road whether their continued membership of the EU will become problematic.

Re: Hungary

Why do you care, either about Hungary or the EU? According to this ranking https://rsf.org/en/ranking the U.K. isn’t doing that well on press freedom either.

The free press? That is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Why do you care, either about Hungary or the EU? According to this ranking https://rsf.org/en/ranking the U.K. isn’t doing that well on press freedom either.
    The line on the UK in that link is certainly concerning, but it's more written around what the government *could* do under current legislation, not any examples of them actually doing it.
    Read the Hungary example in comparison and it is a world away.

Knowing your political affiliations I am not surprised that you find anti-Muslim, anti-Soros Orban troubling. I, on the other hand, find his unwillingness to kowtow to the globalists very refreshing. According to the ranking there are many other countries with a more restricted press than that in Hungary, including EU members Bulgaria and Greece. Are you worried about the “free press” in Japan, Brazil and the Phillippines too?

Knowing your political affiliations I am not surprised that you find anti-Muslim, anti-Soros Orban troubling. I, on the other hand, find his unwillingness to kowtow to the globalists very refreshing. According to the ranking there are many other countries with a more restricted press than that in Hungary, including EU members Bulgaria and Greece. Are you worried about the “free press” in Japan, Brazil and the Phillippines too?
    Is yes an allowed answer?

I know Bulgaria has some bad problems with corruption, but the EU is starting to shine a light on these and force improvements.
    Anyone worried about immigration to this country should be applauding the huge changes the EU is driving in the former eastern bloc countries, as improvements there will be a more effective barrier than anything we are likely to do under Brexit (with the possible exception of trashing our own economy).
    Not that familiar with Japan, but certainly concerned with Brazil and the Philippines.
    The changes in Hungary are particularly worrying though, and no dissenting voices being allowed is never a good situation whatever the leanings of the people in power.

Removing all dissent is one of the first steps in becoming a tyrant, I think we should all be worried about what is happening in Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I know Bulgaria has some bad problems with corruption, but the EU is starting to shine a light on these and force improvements.
    Anyone worried about immigration to this country should be applauding the huge changes the EU is driving in the former eastern bloc countries, as improvements there will be a more effective barrier than anything we are likely to do under Brexit (with the possible exception of trashing our own economy).
    Not that familiar with Japan, but certainly concerned with Brazil and the Philippines.
    The changes in Hungary are particularly worrying though, and no dissenting voices being allowed is never a good situation whatever the leanings of the people in power.

Removing all dissent is one of the first steps in becoming a tyrant, I think we should all be worried about what is happening in Hungary.
    If Orban becomes a tyrant then how will that affect you or me? We are leaving the EU and Hungary will be of no more import to us than Belarus, which is run by a “tyrant”. And that “tyrant” - Lukashenko - is having little to no effect on my life as far as I can discern.

I’d be more concerned with the imprisonment without trial of elected Catalan politicians by Spain, but even then I don’t think that it will affect me very much. I did email Theresa May last night (following Peter Hitchens’ tweet) to ask her not to attack any more countries unless they directly threatened or attacked the U.K. Hopefully she will listen to the dissenting voices as our “free” press don’t really seem to challenge our government, ever, when they announce plans to attack a relatively poor and defenceless country.

Freedom of press my arse ,where's the bloody Football Echo when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Freedom of press my arse ,where's the bloody Football Echo when you need it.
    Always had you down as a Pinko!

If Orban becomes a tyrant then how will that affect you or me? We are leaving the EU and Hungary will be of no more import to us than Belarus, which is run by a “tyrant”. And that “tyrant” - Lukashenko - is having little to no effect on my life as far as I can discern.

I’d be more concerned with the imprisonment without trial of elected Catalan politicians by Spain, but even then I don’t think that it will affect me very much. I did email Theresa May last night (following Peter Hitchens’ tweet) to ask her not to attack any more countries unless they directly threatened or attacked the U.K. Hopefully she will listen to the dissenting voices as our “free” press don’t really seem to challenge our government, ever, when they announce plans to attack a relatively poor and defenceless country.
    You're right about not having much effect on our lives in Western Europe.
    The problem is the rise of the far-right in these countries. There can be a knock on effect.