+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manic Street Preachers - Resistance is Futile

Manic Street Preachers - Resistance is Futile

Anyone had a listen to this yet? A bit different sounding in places. Not sure on first listen to be honest - they seem to be past their best imho.

Re: Manic Street Preachers - Resistance is Futile

They’ve been past their best since 1994 after the Holy Bible came out. Still knocking out a decent tune but it’s all been very Radio 2 for years.

Yeah I think so and all a bit samey. They reached their peak in the mid to late 90’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    They’ve been past their best since 1994 after the Holy Bible came out. Still knocking out a decent tune but it’s all been very Radio 2 for years.
    Pretty hard to to top that to be fair, also Nicky Wire isn't as good a songwriter as Richey Edwards was.

There's been a noticeable drop off as well since "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours", still some good songs and better than a lot of the shite out there, but not as good as they were. Only natural they'd lose that edge seeing as they're in their late 40s now.

Interview with The Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nce-is-useless

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    This.

The Holy Bible was the greatest moment. I liked Everything Must Go, but it was much more radio friendly. I listened to This Is My Truth once, thought it was poor and have never bothered listening to anything of their's since. One of the great things about them was Richie's lyrics. Wire's are very, very average.

Wire is dreadful, the world is full of refugees, what have you done with your hair, and all that.

But JDB has an incredible voice, is a great guitarist and even from the first album was doing some clever stuff with the songwriting.

It would be hard to beat Holy Bible though and tbh I might not get round to listening to this album.