+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone with sailing experience ?

Anyone with sailing experience ?

I've been offered a once in a lifetime chance (for me)

A 28 hour trip to the Scilly Isles. With 2 days drinking while there. These guys are serious yachtsmen... Atlantic crossing etc.

I've never been on a yacht before. My question is, what gear do I need for offshore sailing? This isn't the usual coastal sailing.

I could ask the guys but I don't want to be pestering them with questions. Would a waterproof jacket (fleece inside) and same trousers? Footwear?
    I almost collapsed with price of those offshore suits and boots.
    I'm hoping to do this for less than 150.

Re: Anyone with sailing experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post

A 28 hour trip to the Scilly Isles. With 2 days drinking while there. These guys are serious yachtsmen... Atlantic crossing etc.

I've never been on a yacht before. My question is, what gear do I need for offshore sailing? This isn't the usual coastal sailing.

I could ask the guys but I don't want to be pestering them with questions. Would a waterproof jacket (fleece inside) and same trousers? Footwear?
    https://www.cottontraders.com/waterp...s/AC14445.html
    Trousers

The YMCA look wouldn't suit me.

The YMCA look wouldn't suit me.

I have Atlantic Crossing on vinyl somewhere

I only know a little about sailing, but living in Pembs I know a lot of sailing types (that doesn't sound good! ).
    My view is keep away, you would be well out of your depth (so to speak) in terms of the knowledge and strength required to man an ocean going yacht over the very tricky waters of the Irish Sea and St George's Channel.
    And as far as the drinking goes these lads are very serious heavy duty drinkers. If you are lucky enough to find a bar on Scilly you would not get out alive.
    So give it a miss.

Just go for it pal , it's not the Vendee Globe , even girlies can sail single handed . If they know what they are doing , it will be fun . Scillies are great 👍

Ooh, hello sailor, how can I help you?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I only know a little about sailing, but living in Pembs I know a lot of sailing types (that doesn't sound good! ).
    My view is keep away, you would be well out of your depth (so to speak) in terms of the knowledge and strength required to man an ocean going yacht over the very tricky waters of the Irish Sea and St George's Channel.
    And as far as the drinking goes these lads are very serious heavy duty drinkers. If you are lucky enough to find a bar on Scilly you would not get out alive.
    So give it a miss.
    Im going along as a passenger only. I've been assured I won't be expected to do anything

Im going along as a passenger only. I've been assured I won't be expected to do anything
    Once in a lifetime you'd be mad not to do it, the people you're going with are serious yachtsmen, haven't they got any old kit you could borrow?

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Once in a lifetime you'd be mad not to do it, the people you're going with are serious yachtsmen, haven't they got any old kit you could borrow?
    I thought I'd give it time before asking. Being asked was big enough, I thought asking for gear would come over a bit strong.
    I've made my mind up I'll definitely go.

It might not be such a bad idea if you DID have some kind of duty. Doing something will help focus your attention and lessen the possibility of sea-sickness ... now THAT really would take the shine off the whole experience and you'd be dreading the return journey back if it did.

I thought I'd give it time before asking. Being asked was big enough, I thought asking for gear would come over a bit strong.
    Good luck but make sure you take anti sickness tabs. Those waters can be very rough.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Good luck but make sure you take anti sickness tabs. Those waters can be very rough.
    Great minds ....

These guys told me to eat plenty of ginger. Its supposed to be excellent.

Perhaps I could try mast dancing.

These guys told me to eat plenty of ginger. Its supposed to be excellent.

Perhaps I could try mast dancing.
    Pole dancing better!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I have Atlantic Crossing on vinyl somewhere
    I preferred side one, how about you?

As long as you have life saving appliances at hand you will be okay. Immersion suits are usually carried on yachts. The answer is always be prepared for the worst (weather and sea state) when out at sea. And of course be drilled to react. I.e. know how to don an immersion suit quickly if required to.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    As long as you have life saving appliances at hand you will be okay. Immersion suits are usually carried on yachts. The answer is always be prepared for the worst (weather and sea state) when out at sea. And of course be drilled to react. I.e. know how to don an immersion suit quickly if required to.
    Spedger
    Apparently they are waiting for a 4 day window of goodish weather next month.

Does the club shop sell rubber rings? I'm over for the Forest game. ;)

Although I worked on compiling navigational charts for many years I was never a seafarer - until someone with access to a yacht invited me to a return trip from Southampton to Cherbourg. It was the longest day of my life and I was seasick most of the journey. Jumped ship and came back on the Seacat. The motion involved is not to be underestimated when the sea is choppy.

Good man

Life is for living get on and grab the opportunity with both hands